• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Buy To Let.....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buy To Let....."

Collapse

• aceboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    What alternative investments to BTL have you considered and discounted, and why?
    Hi - I have a pension from perm days, Pension from myco, Stock ISA's Single stocks, cash in the myco bank cash in my personal banks...

I am looking to invest long term to spreadh the portfolio / risk

Leave a comment:

• kuku
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Mostly true in today's market, and I wouldn't go about buying a house and trying to re-sell after a basic refurb.
    I personally wouldn't invest in a market going down ... unless I can short it ... but it is not the case when you buy a property.

Time to invest in other things IMHO.

Chocolate factory?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Really? I've heard it's more like:

1. Clueless couple buys a house that needs a bit of paintwork for the highest price ever on that street.
    2. Couple wastes £10k repainting it to a style that is not everyone's taste.
    3. After 8 months of fannying around they manage to sell it for £15k more than they bought it for, but this increase is largely due to a rising market rather than the works the couple have done.
    4. This is obviously all in the years 2003-2007 whilst the market was still rising, although the repeats fail to mention this.
    5. No programmes have been made for several years as almost nobody is actually making any money doing this anymore.
    Mostly true in today's market, and I wouldn't go about buying a house and trying to re-sell after a basic refurb.

Out of curiosity, do you own your house or rent?

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Apart from sasguru, who has magically gone from hugely in debt to mult-millionaire in a matter of months.

I think I'd remember if sasguru had been on TV.

Oh wait, he has: The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty Trailer, Reviews and Schedule for The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty | TVGuide.com

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

1. Clueless couple buys a house that needs a bit of paintwork for the highest price ever on that street.
    3. After 8 months of fannying around they manage to sell it for £15k more than they bought it for, but this increase is largely due to a rising market rather than the works the couple have done.
    4. This is obviously all in the years 2003-2007 whilst the market was still rising, although the repeats fail to mention this.
    5. No programmes have been made for several years as almost nobody is actually making any money doing this anymore.
    Apart from sasguru, who has magically gone from hugely in debt to mult-millionaire in a matter of months.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Well basically it's this.

You buy a house, then borrow loads of money on credit cards and loans and buy a big expensive car, go on lots of exotic holidays, put all your kids in private school, that sort of thing, and the house goes up in value by loads, which means you can pay off the extravagent lifestyle with the proceeds AND still have the house!

FREE MONEY!!!

And Merv makes sure it NEVER ENDS!

Leave a comment:

• MichaelHunt
    replied

You buy a house, then borrow loads of money on credit cards and loans and buy a big expensive car, go on lots of exotic holidays, put all your kids in private school, that sort of thing, and the house goes up in value by loads, which means you can pay off the extravagent lifestyle with the proceeds AND still have the house!

FREE MONEY!!!

Cretin

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    FTFY.

No btw.

FREE MONEY!!!

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    WTF is wrong with you?

Aren't you yet another mindless sheeple dribbling in front of the TV at Property Ladder / Location Location Location / Homes Under the Hammer?

FTFY.

No btw.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    What alternative investments to BTL have you considered and discounted, and why?
    WTF is wrong with you?

Have you never watched Property Ladder / Location Location Location / Homes Under the Hammer?

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by aceboy View Post
    Thanks for all the replies...

Few more questions for the land lords:

a) did you choose an interest only or a repayment mortgage, and why?
    b) have you have any "horror" stories happen to you? for example tenants wreaking the place...etc
    c) did you buy in the area you live or a different area?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Basil Fawlty
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    a) when I first became a BTLler in the late 90s I was going for capital growth so interest only, since repayment mortgages are front-loaded anyway. Not sure about doing that now.
    b) No horror stories but one tenant caused some water damage to one of my properties - it was supposedly being looked after an agent at the time. But they were no help. After that I realised that agents didn't ofefr that much value and left them out of the equation.
    c) I lived in roughly the same area (Spitalfields/Shoreditch) - it helps when you have to do stuff - but I also knew the area, demographics etc. very well. This helps in marketing your property, understanding tenants etc.
    Definitely buy in an area you know well.
    All good advice. In addition I'd add :

a) Don't forget your interest can be offset against tax, so if you start repaying capital you'll be increasing your tax bill. If you've income left after paying the interest only portion of the mortgage then it's beneficial to use this to pay down your domestic mortgage before your BTL one.

b) Make sure you reference your tenants properly, there's loads of resources on the web for this. I've had loads of problems with letting agents, but <luckily> not so much with tenants, hence I now manage my properties myself.

c) Absolutely vital to live near the properties if you're managing yourself. Even more important is to understand the local renting market.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by aceboy View Post

b) have you have any "horror" stories happen to you? for example tenants wreaking the place...etc

Thanks
    a) when I first became a BTLler in the late 90s I was going for capital growth so interest only, since repayment mortgages are front-loaded anyway. Not sure about doing that now.
    b) No horror stories but one tenant caused some water damage to one of my properties - it was supposedly being looked after an agent at the time. But they were no help. After that I realised that agents didn't ofefr that much value and left them out of the equation.
    c) I lived in roughly the same area (Spitalfields/Shoreditch) - it helps when you have to do stuff - but I also knew the area, demographics etc. very well. This helps in marketing your property, understanding tenants etc.
    Definitely buy in an area you know well.

Leave a comment:

• aceboy
    replied

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Time for meds!
    Tell your nurse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X