• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SGML - Just a quickie."

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
    Thanks all for the best wishes. Yes, benched for two years (maybe I'm just crap). I won't know any more about the SGML until the interview. I can do SGML 1986 for transistors, but I'll just have to see what they use.

I'm an engineer by the way, not an IT boffin like you lot.

It's military stuff, so shtumm for now :-)
    Praps Zeity would know, he sniffs solder smoke for a living

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Eeeeeee, I could start a fist-fight in a convent.

No pyjamas, all dolphins. (Cumbria, remember???)

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Thanks all for the best wishes. Yes, benched for two years (maybe I'm just crap). I won't know any more about the SGML until the interview. I can do SGML 1986 for transistors, but I'll just have to see what they use.

Pyjamas mean anything to you?

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I am fluent in dos and bash

You tart I meant give me some more info on the SGML bit to help flesh it out and get to what they want

Good luck with the gig

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Current gig going well then?
    He's locked outside while his wife cuckolds him with a couple of boy scouts who came round to wash the car.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Leave the socks in the drawer MF

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    The mood I'm in I could twat you WITH a pregnant goldfish

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You couldn't 'twat' a pregnant goldfish!
    The mood I'm in I could twat you WITH a pregnant goldfish

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Yes so lay off or I'll twat you
    You couldn't 'twat' a pregnant goldfish!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Two years on the rock?

You've been benched for two years???
    Yes so lay off or I'll twat you

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    1. it's just the old way of 'future proofing' manuals. You just enter the content in plain unformatted text, and then put codes in. It's just the 'steam' version of 'styles' in Word. I'm an old codger and I can still speak DOS so maybe I have a chance :-)
    I am fluent in dos and bash

2. You know the rules, not a sausage until I get the gig. After two years on the rock, it's all me-me-me until then.
    You tart I meant give me some more info on the SGML bit to help flesh it out and get to what they want

Good luck with the gig

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    1. it's just the old way of 'future proofing' manuals. You just enter the content in plain unformatted text, and then put codes in. It's just the 'steam' version of 'styles' in Word. I'm an old codger and I can still speak DOS so maybe I have a chance :-)

2. You know the rules, not a sausage until I get the gig. After two years on the rock, it's all me-me-me until then.
    Two years on the rock?

You've been benched for two years???

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    OTC this was groundbreaking work that then led into the web as we know it

Standard Generalized Markup Language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought this was a meta language and as such you used it to define declarative languages?

Bizarre, can you give us some more info on the gig?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    The cynic in me wonders if this is a trick quesion?

Ie rather than list that you must be proficient in HTML, XHTML, XML etc just list SGML then see what blaggers they get through the door.

Ask them for a "declarative" (geddit?) list of markup languages and say you will profile your experience against each one.

Just sayin like

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I've put in for a job writing engineering manuals.

I can make 'Word' jump through hoops, but ...... they want them in SGML.

Now, I used a primative SGML donkey's years ago, back in IBM green-screen days, but I suppose it's evolved since.

It's not web-based, or any clever HTML stuff, just basic written manuals.

Can someone put up a linky to a mug's guide for whatever they use nowadays?

No, I'm not going to post this in Technical, it's 'baby stuff' :-)
    OTC this was groundbreaking work that then led into the web as we know it

Standard Generalized Markup Language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought this was a meta language and as such you used it to define declarative languages?

Bizarre, can you give us some more info on the gig?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X