• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Subsistence allowance"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I think you'll find a vast majority of IT contractors claim legitimate expenses as ultimately the buck stops with the claimant not the advisor.

Why do people come into contracting thinking it's a big fiddle? It must be the small pond permy mentality that can't grasp a different way of working.
    Contracting is a big fiddle. The small pond permy mentality holds that it is an endless series of very small fiddles.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    It still amazes me that some people don't get this, they go out every day to buy lunch and posh coffee as if it's free.
    Maybe it's a transitional thing, say as a permie you do this on a daily basis it's money that you spend out of your wages. Whereas at least as contractor it gets expensed back to you so at least you receive some benefit in part.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    it's £5 a day you won't pay tax on. You only actually get back around £1.50
    It still amazes me that some people don't get this, they go out every day to buy lunch and posh coffee as if it's free.

Leave a comment:

• TheDragon
    replied
    True, but HMRC take the pragmatic view that you're going to spend something on things like papers and a beer when away from home that you wouldn't normally spend. Like FRS, it's saves more on paperwork than it costs.

And it's not £5 a day, it's £5 a day you won't pay tax on. You only actually get back around £1.50
    As I said Mal, it's all sorted out now. I've provided a journal of expenses.The brolly mislead me, but all resolved now and will keep all receipts from now on.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I thought you could only claim this if you spent it?
    True, but HMRC take the pragmatic view that you're going to spend something on things like papers and a beer when away from home that you wouldn't normally spend. Like FRS, it's saves more on paperwork than it costs.

And it's not £5 a day, it's £5 a day you won't pay tax on. You only actually get back around £1.50

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    As Malvolia says, I've been claiming £5 Personal Incidental Expenses (or PIE) since I started contracting. Had one investigation into expenses in all that time and they were fine with it.

So you can legitimately claim £5 tax free for every night you're working away from home in the UK, or £10 outside the UK, with no need to keep receipts.
    I thought you could only claim this if you spent it?

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Shocking!!!

You can't claim set amounts ever, unless you've actually spent that amount. Always keep your receipts regardless of what you're told.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    As Malvolia says, I've been claiming £5 Personal Incidental Expenses (or PIE) since I started contracting. Had one investigation into expenses in all that time and they were fine with it.

So you can legitimately claim £5 tax free for every night you're working away from home in the UK, or £10 outside the UK, with no need to keep receipts.

Here's the HMRC info:

Class 1 NICs : Expenses and allowances : Incidental overnight expenses (previously Personal incidental expenses or PIEs) : Position from 6 April 1995

Class 1 NICs : Expenses and allowances : Incidental overnight expenses (previously personal incidental expenses or PIEs) : Position from 6 April 2001

Above £5 and you are liable for tax on the full amount, unless your brolly really does have 'an understanding' with HMRC and isn't just giving you some of your profit out of their cut in a different way to make it look like you get a better deal with them than other brollies.

As expenses are only declared to HMRC annually (on your P60 IIRC) you may be able to talk the brolly into reworking the expenses incurred so far so they fit the rules if you want to play it safe.

Leave a comment:

• TheDragon
    replied
    You need a new brolly then. Do you suppose HMRC won't spot you've mysteriously spent exactly the same amount every working day?

Expect all expenses claimed to date to be disallowed, your tax to be recalcualted on the basis that all your earnings are salary and for interest to be added. You may get away without a fine if you were acting in good faith - which implies not fidding the records.

Incidentally, "subsistence" is £5 a day working in the UK away from home, £10 a day abroad. Everything else is repayment of personal expenses incurred. If you make a profit, you're doing it wrong.

And next time, learn the f***ing rules for yourself.
    Cheers Mal. Good advice.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDragon View Post
    Yeah, as if these exist...

I've just spoken to the brolly as they recommend a 'journal' of daily expenses will do.

Thanks
    You need a new brolly then. Do you suppose HMRC won't spot you've mysteriously spent exactly the same amount every working day?

Expect all expenses claimed to date to be disallowed, your tax to be recalcualted on the basis that all your earnings are salary and for interest to be added. You may get away without a fine if you were acting in good faith - which implies not fidding the records.

Incidentally, "subsistence" is £5 a day working in the UK away from home, £10 a day abroad. Everything else is repayment of personal expenses incurred. If you make a profit, you're doing it wrong.

And next time, learn the f***ing rules for yourself.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigD
    replied
    I've only been contacting for a year or so and going through an umbrella. I've been submitting a daily allowance for subsistence @ £9.89 per day without receipts as advised. The problem is my payroll number has been singled out for inspection by the tax man. I have no receipts. Has anyone else had this?
    I used a brolly when I first started, which also claimed they didn't need to see receipts, but that I should keep them anyway (although this last bit was in very small writing at the back of their welcome pack).

If your'e going to make a go of contracting, you'll need to start finding things out for yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied

I've just spoken to the brolly as they recommend a 'journal' of daily expenses will do.

Thanks
    There is also a "beginners guide" and other interesting stuff over there --->
    on the right. It has a specific section for brollies and there is even a specific section on dispensations.

Leave a comment:

• TheDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    the "sensible" forums

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Being a novice to contracting, I expect my umbrella to give me professional advise. If they give me duff info it's their problem.
    I expect you will find that they have not given you duff information, just that you have chosen to interpret it in a certain way.
    It has been discussed many times on the "sensible" forums of this site.

Brolly says: We will pay up to 25 pounds per day expenses without receipts.
    You understand that as: I can claim 25 pounds per day tax free without receipts.

If you want to know how much you can claim as expenses tax free without receipts the people you should be asking are HMRC. They have a web site you know. It has all sorts of information and advice.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    When I first started many years ago I was using a brolly, they told me I didn't need to submit receipts but I must keep them should they be required.

Has that changed?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X