• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Chasing the Aurora

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Chasing the Aurora"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I've seen the aurora several times. The first was the most spectacular, it was so bright it woke me as the bedroom was filled with light even through curtains. Going outside to have a look was breathtaking.
    Mate of mine did the same kind of trip as k2p2 (albeit to Sweden), and failed to see them.

He was overjoyed when I said I'd seen it two or three times in Yorkshire.

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I've seen the aurora several times. The first was the most spectacular, it was so bright it woke me as the bedroom was filled with light even through curtains. Going outside to have a look was breathtaking.
    I've never been that lucky.

I only saw the Southern equivalent, but there were other things in the sky to worry about at the time :-)

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Not watching meteor showers, auroras and any tulip like this ever since I read The Day of the Triffids...
    It wasn't real you know.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Not watching meteor showers, auroras and any tulip like this ever since I read The Day of the Triffids...

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Six hours on a coach, and we saw a vague grey glow behind a cloud, that could have been nothing or the moon, or a distant light. If they hadn't pointed it out, you wouldn't have even noticed it. No colour or movement.
    That's an aurora, I'm afraid. Many people expect to see the sky ablaze with colour, like looking up at a luminous flapping curtain. But unless the aurora is particularly intense, all you normally see is what you described.

The vivid photo images that you see are taken using long exposures, and the 'flapping curtain' effect is really speeded-up time-lapse cine.

I've only ever seen one, and I was at sea. Being a radio ham, I have 'heard' aurora, because we bounce VHF signals off them just for fun.

Enjoy your holiday :-)

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    yep - that's more what we werd the hoping for. The weather is bad though - lots of cloud cover. Oh well.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    2012 is supposed to be the best year to see the lights

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    You'll see them from Skye plenty fine, speaking from experience like.

This pic taken on Skye.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Where are you? Tromso?
    Not unless Iceland have annexed Norway in the last few hours.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Enjoying the rest of Iceland though!
    Heard stories about it being uber expensive- how much for a decent meal for two + vino?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Shame, hopefully you might get a chance at another point.

Gald you are having a good time.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Get them to tell you the Icelandic joke!
    Waiter, there's volcanic ash in my soup. I know, it's a no-fly zone?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Get them to tell you the Icelandic joke!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I didn't see the sponsorship form.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X