• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "It's only weather (again like last the last 10 years)"

Collapse

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    For Christ's sake. It's spring and the wind is blowing up from the South.

See for yourself.

Met Office: Surface pressure forecast

The cold snap last week was weather from Russia. The warm snap next week is weather from the Canaries.

Give us a break and change the record. Do you ever post about anything else?
    Last edited by KimberleyChris; 26 February 2012, 18:12.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    From the climate science journal of record...

UK weather: Britain basks in warmest winter for 4 years as temperatures to hit 18C on Tuesday | Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Nope.

I'm making stuff up.
    indeed ...

(try posting data on the last three years including 2011/2012 winter.

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    And now some good news.

Weather bouy K5 (way out in the NW approaches off Rockall) is showing nearly 9 deg.C and a 22kt wind.

So it looks as though 'normal service has been resumed', signalling the end - at last - of the recent cold snap, and the return of our usual Atlantic wind and rain.

Sprinnge???

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Nope.

One of us is just making stuff up and endlessly recycling the same tired quotes from a decade-old piece of mangled journalism. One of is losing the argument.
    It would be nice to include the 1930s and 1940s that showed hot summers and then cooling towards the 50s. There was more Co2 being pumped into the air in the 1950s and 60s so why did it get cooler?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    2011?

And you telling me 2012 winter is going to be a warm record?

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    ...and the three that weren´t [above average temp] were in the last three years.
    Nope.

One of us is just making stuff up and endlessly recycling the same tired quotes from a decade-old piece of mangled journalism. One of is losing the argument.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Seven out of ten of the last European winters have been warmer than the long term average. And you REALLY love that 12 year old online Indie dial-a-quote piece, don't you?

Remember I asked for a primary source saying the same thing ?

...and the three that weren´t were in the last three years.

What a coincidence, just as the sun is going quiet.

Be honest you´re losing the argument.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Seven out of ten of the last European winters have been warmer than the long term average. And you REALLY love that 12 year old online Indie dial-a-quote piece, don't you?

Remember I asked for a primary source saying the same thing ?

Last edited by pjclarke; 12 February 2012, 12:52.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    FTFY.
    Oh yes I fotgot, the climate scientists predicted bitterly cold winters, as a result of global warming.

Do you remember what Dr David Viner said.

"kids won´t know what snow is".

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Though at least in those countries airports don't shut down and cars don't crash into each other due to the snow/ice.
    yeah right!

russia ice car crash - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Those poor people are all talking gibberish.
    The reporter is speaking Romanian and she is talking about the snow.

“The people in the village are very happy and joyful this year because global warming has elevated the usual hardships of a harsh winter. For the first time in winter they are able to see the tops of their houses peeking through the snow. Normally the snow covers the housed completely and they are only able to visit neighbours houses in the spring.”

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I made it the half mile back from the Indian takeaway half an hour ago, and I had to seriously fight the urge to just lie down and die. It was just that cold. I doubt it would have taken very long, according to my phone app it's -9 here in north Oxfordshire, and that at 8pm. It has to be said that in my 40 years I've never experienced cold or snow like the last 4, and my childhood memories of hot summers and droughts every year seem a world away.
    1739,1947,1963 were all bad winters

The coldest record for England is −26.1 °C (−15.0 °F) in Newport, Shropshire back in 1982

I heard a water chap on t'radio saying Bewl reservoir is so empty that a drought order for Kent this summer is probable, and started rattling on about climate change being responsible - he failed to mention that the amount of new homes + new citizens moving into Kent in the last 15 years has meant that no new water supply was considered when New Labour identified Kent as a place for population growth

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Though at least in those countries airports don't shut down and cars don't crash into each other due to the snow/ice.
    That's true.

However airplanes crash there (Russia) far more frequently than in the West.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Minus 9 is not cold
    It might not be as cold as some places, but it is certainly cold enough to cause you problems if you aren't prepared for it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X