• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mahathir Mohamad for prime minister"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    BBC News - 'Europe is poor so should live within its means'

"Europe... has lost a lot of money and therefore you must be poor now relative to the past. And in Asia we live within our means. So when we are poor, we live as poor people. I think that is a lesson that Europe can learn from Asia."

Can we headhunt him?
    I bet he's not poor and runs his own kleptocracy very much for his own benefit

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    That bit was extreme - but the rest is very true. I thought he would be just your type.
    He's a politician. They're never my type. His words were designed to make his poor peopel feel good.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I meant the Europe just "juggling figures " around cliche.
    That bit was extreme - but the rest is very true. I thought he would be just your type.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    No answer?
    It's because your theory is crap.
    Contrary to your assertion, at least one country in Europe pursued, post-war, an export-led, low inflation economy.
    A word of advice: reading indiscriminately is no substitute fo sceptism, critical thinking and brains.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Then read "The German Economy in the Twentieth Century" by Hans-Joachim Braun.
    Presumably you've read it. So kindly answer my question - how does Germany fit into your theory?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Reading has to be tempered with critical sense. I'll wager I've read more about economics that you. Difference is I just don't accept every theory I read.

I asked you a simple question - how does Germany fit into your "theory"?
    Then read "The German Economy in the Twentieth Century" by Hans-Joachim Braun.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Perhaps if you spent some time in the public library reading economics you would find out some facts and theories. Until then you will have to make do with your ignorance and sarcasm.
    Reading has to be tempered with critical sense. I'll wager I've read more about economics that you. Difference is I just don't accept every theory I read.

I asked you a simple question - how does Germany fit into your "theory"?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    And how does Germany fit into this idiotic model of yours?
    Flattened in 1945 , now the 2nd largest exporter in the world?
    You just post whatever thought your senile small brain comes out with, don't you?
    Perhaps if you spent some time in the public library reading economics you would find out some facts and theories. Until then you will have to make do with your ignorance and sarcasm.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I disagree.

The only true expansion of the European economy was the post industrial revolution. In the normal cycle of capitalism, the bubble burst in the 1930s when a minority had most of the cash and the majority could not afford the cost of living.

The second expansion of the European economy was engineered by printing money and government bonds to rejuvenate capitalism until the bubble burst in the 1970s.

The third expansion of the European economy was drive by credit because number 1+2 were exhausted. The bubble burst in 2008.

There are no more options but the government is trying to print money to recover but it won’t work.
    And how does Germany fit into this idiotic model of yours?
    Flattened in 1945 , now the 2nd largest exporter in the world?
    You just post whatever thought your senile small brain comes out with, don't you?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Export value index (2000 = 100) in Malaysia

Exports - Country Comparison

Malaysia has doubled its exports over last 10 years. And is now 21st in the world.

Sorry if saying "live within your means" is now a "fashionable cliche". I thought he would be just your sort of chap. Have you leant your password to atw?
    I meant the Europe just "juggling figures " around cliche.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Sounds like yet another "fashionable cliche" spouter to me.
    I mean does Malaysia appear in the top ten exporting countires in the world?
    Export value index (2000 = 100) in Malaysia

Exports - Country Comparison

Malaysia has doubled its exports over last 10 years. And is now 21st in the world.

Sorry if saying "live within your means" is now a "fashionable cliche". I thought he would be just your sort of chap. Have you leant your password to atw?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    The way I see it China/India et al are just going through the same thing that the "developed world" did in the 19th century, creating a more industrial economy while the West moved on to a more service based industry of the late 20th century.

There are undertones with more and more Indian firms like WIPRO moving from its more traditional roots of manufacturing into service so they could follow the same cycle the west did.

I disagree.

The only true expansion of the European economy was the post industrial revolution. In the normal cycle of capitalism, the bubble burst in the 1930s when a minority had most of the cash and the majority could not afford the cost of living.

The second expansion of the European economy was engineered by printing money and government bonds to rejuvenate capitalism until the bubble burst in the 1970s.

The third expansion of the European economy was drive by credit because number 1+2 were exhausted. The bubble burst in 2008.

There are no more options but the government is trying to print money to recover but it won’t work.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Can we headhunt him?
    Can we afford him?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Sounds like yet another "fashionable cliche" spouter to me.
    I mean does Malaysia appear in the top ten exporting countires in the world?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I liked this bit:

In particular, he believes Europe and the West must begin the long slow process of restructuring their economies to reduce their dependence on the financial sector.

"I think you should go back to doing what I call real business - producing goods, providing services, trading - not just moving figures in bank books, which is what you are doing."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X