• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Have you ever been on benefits?"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I did about twelve months on the dole 1985 - 1986. IIRC I got around £32 a week, plus Housing Benefit that covered the rent (which was inclusive of rates and water rates) on my crappy bedsit. There were loads of other people on the dole at that time, particularly young people, so it wasn't too bad. Used to have some good times, chilling out at somebody's flat all afternoon, having a whip-round for a bottle of Night Train Express (cheap American red wine), then home to what little food was left in the place
    I did the last half of 1984 on the dole and frigging hated it. There was a job waiting for me but the buggers wouldn't pay for me to go to an interview because a) the job was abroad and b) it paid more than 23K. I sold the house to get out of that situation, and soon after got a three monther which set me up again.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The important thing was to buy enough food for two weeks as soon as you cashed your Giro, otherwise you risked a couple of days with nothing to eat at the end of the fortnight because you'd spent too long in the pub
    During my time on the dole I would hit Leeds market after cashing the Giro. There was a whole row of butchers shops competing against each other and several of them did packs of assorted bacon, sausage, chops and a joint for 10, 15, or 20 quid. Then I'd hit the veg section and stock up. I definitely didn't go short of food, but I was lucky enough to have a decent set of clothes. There was no way I could have afforded an interview suit out of ninety odd quid a fortnight.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Ah, back in the day you got Earnings Related on top of the Unemployment benefit.

It doubled the amount you got.

Maggie did away with it in 1980.
    My father got earnings related when he started with early retirement. With managing to pay of the mortgage and the savings he made from not going to work he reckoned he was only about a tenner a month worse off.

He used to take great delight in driving his Volvo down to the dole office to sign on.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    When I finished University there was a recession on and graduate jobs were hard to get.

I moved back to my parents' house and the Unemployment Benefit kept me in beer money.

That was a good summer - the Australian cricket team were touring England that summer so I spent it sat on the sofa watching the cricket, I probably won't be able to do that again until I have retired.

After six months on the UB they used to make you start going to a 'Job Club' which was the last straw so I just took any work that I could get. It took a few years to catch up with where I could have expected to have been if I had walked into a graduate trainee job but it was 'character building'.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Stalk her with a video camera.
    She'd probably then be able to sue him for invasion of privacy and some obscure humans rights law, such is the state of this country

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Stalk her with a video camera.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    See you grassed her up and she still got out of it, there's no such thing as justice

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    Not people who sit home on DLA when there is nothing wrong with them.
    An ex-neighbour of mine was on DLA. She claimed that her legs were always playing up and couldn't hardly work, in pain, blah blah blah. I'd see her walk to the shops and/or town on a daily basis. Now that's taking the piss

I grassed her up and when the benefits came round to investigate, she just put on her "ooh my legs are playing up" routine. She's still on DLA.

Her daughter is on DLA aswell. **** knows what's wrong with her, see looks able too.

I think at least some kind of job could be found for them. e.g. if you're not good on your legs, get an office bound job. Or if you're not quite right in the head, you can shovel tulip for all i care!

This family have probably been on benefits all their lives.

Where's my shotgun?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Did not have to pay council tax in my time of being a student when I was renting room in a private house.

That's about it.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Tried to claim JSA when I was 19 or so for a week or two, they never ended up paying me despite saying they would.

Tried to claim incapacity six/seven years back when I injured my leg. They said there was no proof, despite hospital discharge forms and a massive brace around my leg. Couldnt continue with normal work because a suit wouldnt fit, so I had to wait tables for crap money by hopping between them. They wouldnt give me JSA either as they took a snapshot of my contributions from when I was a student and refused income based because the OH worked.

I think it is moral to claim for what you genuinely need to claim for, so claim for JSA if you are actually looking for a job. Not people who sit home on DLA when there is nothing wrong with them. However in my experience, they waste hours of your time, mess you around for weeks and then never pay you. In that time, I could use that for finding a job, so why bother with the Job-centre? Biggest waste of time ever.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Fook me EO. Raymond Blanc must be bricking it in case you ever put yourself forward for Masterchef!!

dont staaart.

I never worked out what went well with chappie

thyme probbly

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Ah 1983, I remember it well....

Sums up what I remember about 1983.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

It is truly amazing what concoctions you can come up with, with a tin and a few bits. What works well and what doesnt

Spaghetti hoops - with cheese melted in
    Baked beans - with an oxo cube
    Ravioli - curry powder and chille flakes
    Spag Bol - on its own on toast
    corned beef - fried in cheese
    Irish stew - loads of black pepper
    Tomato soup - loads of black pepper

all with chips and bread

Tried chappie once, but the daughter found the tin and cried because I told her that I had to take her new dog back because it peed on the living room carpet

home brew
    home made wine

Fook me EO. Raymond Blanc must be bricking it in case you ever put yourself forward for Masterchef!!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    no

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    FTFY
    How rude.

But true

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    When I left college after miserably failing my A levels I got "supplementary benefit" of £23.60 per week for three months whilst I did my Government Sponsored TOPS computer programming course.....Ah 1983, I remember it well....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X