• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Given my late 2006 iMac a new lease of life"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    As I found out when I was suffering power cuts (laptop booted off external Firewire disk so the system carried on but the disk didn't), OS X isn't very tolerant of the system disk going offline, and I strongly suspected that was down to swap activity.

If you do put your swapfiles on your external FW disk, don't knock it offline by accident.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Sounds scary. Let see what this Xupport app is all about claims to do the job in a couple of clicks.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Is there an easy way to tell the OS to use the external FW 800 drive for swapfiles?
    There's osx - Moving the swapfiles to a dedicated partition in Snow Leopard - Super User but I don't know how reliable that would be with an external drive. Then there's osx - Moving the OS X swap file to a faster drive - Super User which has an answer mentioning a commercial solution. Then there's Moving Swap on OS X 10.5 Leopard | SysArchitects which includes the excellent note "You'd have to be nuts to do this. The existing pager settings work fine."

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Is there an easy way to tell the OS to use the external FW 800 drive for swapfiles?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    disable flash content in Safari with click to flash. Holly sheet. Swap file access is almost non-existent now. Death to flash.
    I've been using ClickToFlash for ages. I reckon it's increased the life of my MacBook's fan by several orders of magnitude

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    disable flash content in Safari with click to flash. Holly sheet. Swap file access is almost non-existent now. Death to flash.
    Isn't that exactly what Steve Il Jong always said?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    started a topic Given my late 2006 iMac a new lease of life

Given my late 2006 iMac a new lease of life

Working...
X