• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The British economy shrank by 0.2% in the fourth quarter of 2011"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The banks would have been out of control also under the Tories, the only difference is that the Tories would have spent a bit less in the public sector. Anyone remember the early 1990's recession? That was also caused by excesses, a bubble which lead to inflation blipping up. I also believe if the Tories had continued they would more than likely have started to loosen the purse strings, as well, just to get reelected.

The US has had a republican president over the last 8 years, Reagan's successor and the US deficit is just as bad as the UK.

Nah would have made sod all difference really.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    FTFY
    Blind or just cant read? Which part of "I voted for Blair" did you not understand? I have never voted Tory in the 30 years I have had the vote.
    I'm not rabidly for or against any political party, an art you could clearly do with learning.

Do not like the current bunch, but much of their unpopularity is due to having the balls to move in the right direction.
    I do not see a viable alternative either. NL will not cut enough (it was them that got us into this in the first place) and neither would the Lib Dems. No other party is big enough though I am somewhat aligned with UKIP.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Everybody who bought a house in that period also complicit!

Renters like me should get a refund or something
    I bought several properties during that period and made loads of money.
    Renters like you should be castrated to avoid you passing on your stupidity to your children.
    Although the likelihood of that is low in your case.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    I worship at the feet of David Cameron and have a shrine to Thatcher!.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

And those who got 0% credit cards......

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    what really hurts is that I voted for Blair and co. Cant believe I was so gullible.
    Indeed. I remember being called a communist once. Turned out the guy had voted Labour in 1997. What a plonker Rodney.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Thought you were a glenner

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    It's a global problem set off by various governments who were puppets of the various Investment Banks/Funds etc in the 80's, including the tories.
    There are none so blind as those who will not see.

The Tories steered us out of the last problem. When they were undermined by NL bigging up the sleeze stories the UK was in the best financial position it had been in for decades. Read any contemporary articles and you will see that Gordon Brown inherited the best economy any chancellor in the Western World had ever inherited.
    He proceeded to empty the war chest, then raid private sector pensions, when he needed more money he unleashed the banks to inflate borrowing. He then proceeded to borrow like there was no tomorrow. He did this to fund a massive increase in social dependency and a trebling in size of the already bloated public sector.
    When the tulip hit the fan we were buggered.

If he had not unleashed the banks the UK would not have had the same financial disaster as everybody else.
    If we were not borrowing just to pay the bills we would not be so deep in the tulip.

what really hurts is that I voted for Blair and co. Cant believe I was so gullible.

You Tory haters should take those chips off your shoulders and try looking at this in a balanced way.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If Labour did not like the way the banks worked then why not stop them? They had from 1997 to 2007. But they loved it - they wanted the banks to get wild. And so did the population. Let the good times roll forever etcetc.

Labour could have helped by not doing a Viv Nicholson and going on a "spend, spend, spend". Now the Torys are having to make cuts - but in spite of them the debt is still going up due to interest payments and that the UK is still living beyond its means.

Some countries have set up a sovereign wealth fund - why not the UK?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Nope the banks broke it due to greed and deregulation which was set off by the tories in the 80's. I love how morons like yourself blame it all on Labour, every noticed that the most of the world have similar economic issues with debt?

HTH
    If Labour did not like the way the banks worked then why not stop them? They had from 1997 to 2007. But they loved it - they wanted the banks to get wild. And so did the population. Let the good times roll forever etcetc.

Labour could have helped by not doing a Viv Nicholson and going on a "spend, spend, spend". Now the Torys are having to make cuts - but in spite of them the debt is still going up due to interest payments and that the UK is still living beyond its means.

Some countries have set up a sovereign wealth fund - why not the UK?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    It's a global problem set off by various governments who were puppets of the various Investment Banks/Funds etc in the 80's, including the tories.
    And continued by Labour in the 90's/00's?

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Hold on, you were just blaming it on the Tories. So it's not Labour's fault because the rest of the world has similar problems but it is the Tories fault?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Nope the banks broke it due to greed and deregulation which was set off by the tories in the 80's. I love how morons like yourself blame it all on Labour, every noticed that the most of the world have similar economic issues with debt?
    WHS

Labour just continued what Tories started - same with PFI, granted Tories would not go that far but they are far from being innocent in this one.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied

HTH
    Hold on, you were just blaming it on the Tories. So it's not Labour's fault because the rest of the world has similar problems but it is the Tories fault?

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Joeman View Post
    yep, Labour broke it, handed over a bankrupt UK to the coalition.

Coalition are trying to fix it, and people want them to resign!!

When this all gets sorted, Labour will no doubt get vioted back in, and the cyle will start again... its always the way, Labour break it, Conservatives fix it, just in time for labour to get voted back in to break it again...

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X