• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I may have to buy one"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Finally got a chance to fit the thing. It seems at least as quick as the intel one I took out and that's in my old laptop which is only SATA II.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Well, it's in the post, now all I have to do is hold off buying a Lenovo W520 to put it in until the refresh with Ivy Bridge CPUs. Although as they are offering a 10% online discount at the moment that might be difficult.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Is that a weath-preservation technique that is proven to be historically worse than letting someone else look after it for you?
    Yes. You hardly ever get interest on cash hidden in your mattress. Not the right kind of interest, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is that the modern equivalent of keeping all your money in cash under the floorboards?
    Is that a weath-preservation technique that is proven to be historically worse than letting someone else look after it for you?

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    I can see quite a lot. Here is my earlier point, is he nick fitzgerald or nick fitzsimons who is a web application developer? I see loads of hits.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    Did nick give any good advice? Just wondering if he has any different techniques than I use?
    Just try typing his name into Google - there's next to nothing there....

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I haven't got a wreck - should I get one rather than risking fraud????
    Oooops typo

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I often worry about this. In the end, I took advice from this guy on how best to do it
    Did nick give any good advice? Just wondering if he has any different techniques than I use?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    All this about not putting your data online in case it gets hacked... for contractors I bet a lot of that is financial/company stuff and the government already have this. The horse has already bolted, someone just has to hack HMRC and they'd have everything I keep on DropBox.

From the government - I DON'T have anything to hide - because they already have it!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    In short, if you show up on a google search, then you need to maintain your digital presence a lot better.
    I often worry about this. In the end, I took advice from this guy on how best to do it

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Those that are wreckless open themselves up to fraud and even losing their job, insurance policies and roof over their heads.
    I haven't got a wreck - should I get one rather than risking fraud????

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by Joeman View Post
    I Just googled "wim121".... Click here

5th result down was: "www.datetheuk.com/users/wim121" (no longer works, but still in google cache)

maybe thats why youre trying to keep a low profile???
    I use wim121 on this site and a couple of others, but I also use other screenames on other sites. Wim121 is one of the screenies I use the least actually. Anyway me, keep a low profile, pahhhhh! Naww!

However I dont put identifiable info on social networking so people can rob me while im away. I dont post embarrassing photos or comment on my work in detail which results in getting fired, etc etc etc. People are wreckless with what they share digitally which I cannot fathom.

Some of those in there are me, Ive always admitted to ones that are such as a notorious emigration thread. (2nd result down). Oooh and the MSN one, that's me as well. (Yes, I like south park and futurama, who doesnt?)

That dating one isnt me though, Im not 18 years old, if only! Also the anime one isnt me either. I hate anime and hate a lot of the japenese culture. Probably get a load of "overt racism" neg reppers yet again, but I thought I had already clarified this? I dont care for the froggies at all, hate the japs and not too wild on the jerrys.

But you highlight a real problem with screenames. If one uses the same screename in a professional setting, some people may think all entries under that screename is you. My other screename which is longer than wim121 is also used by a teenage guy in a rock band in scotland.

My real name isnt googlable whatsoever, well it is, but all you get is famous historic americans sharing the same name.

My alias/fake name that I use for all postages online to my home and on some accounts such as job engines and email addresses for work, doesnt show my address anywhere and there are hundreds of people with the same name in the UK, non meet my description though.

One interesting one in my main alias though, looking through his profile on linkedin, he works in IT, studied at a university up the road from me and lives in the same town I spent a while growing up in when I was a kid. Quite a few coincidences including age, when looking through his info, interesting.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Quite sensible really, to be careful with ones data.

In a digital era, one needs to be careful of their digital footprint. Those that are wreckless open themselves up to fraud and even losing their job, insurance policies and roof over their heads.

In short, if you show up on a google search, then you need to maintain your digital presence a lot better.
    Agree. We all know that government departments like to spy on individuals and have asked companies (such as Paypal, Facebook) in the past to divulge private data. Even local councils have been accused of using bugging equipment in the pursuit of rubbish going in the wrong dustbin.

If you're going to back up to the cloud, make sure it's encrypted to military standard first. Nobody should have a right to go through your personal data and private thoughts, but in a big brother world, they do.

And please nobody come out with the "if you've got nothing to hide argument"!

Leave a comment:

• Joeman
    replied
    I Just googled "wim121".... Click here

5th result down was: "www.datetheuk.com/users/wim121" (no longer works, but still in google cache)

maybe thats why youre trying to keep a low profile???

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Only because you have some cheapskate home ADSL solution...
    Nahhh Ive got virgin cable. DSL is terrible in my area.

I could pay £11.50 p/m more for unrestricted peak hours, but I fail to see the point?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Round a trusted family members house, locked up in a safe

My server at home has passive cooling and is locked up in a concealed comms cabinet. The most that would be knicked from my house in a break in is laptops and TV's.

Even if we put aside cloud security for now, the biggest issue is scheduling the upload outside of traffic managed hours on my ISP.
    Only because you have some cheapskate home ADSL solution...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X