• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vince Cable: footballers deserve lavish pay, bankers don't"

Collapse

• oyerg
    replied
    Football clubs are not 'Too Big To Fail'

There are some clear differences in my opinion:

1. If a football club runs out of money it will never be too big to fail and would never be rescued out of taxpayer money. Banks can run as a private business and pay whatever they like if they are not holding the public and the economy to ransom.
    2. There is too little competition because they have been allowed to become too big. Football clubs are an example of perfect competition.
    3. Football clubs do not 'play' with others' money. If the banks want to conduct trading operations with their equity/profits and not touching savers' money no one will have a problem. If they fail they will just fold over without affecting anyone.

So the fundamental problem is not with investment banks or retail banks. Make them separate as they were and investment banks can pay whatever they like, do whatever they like with their and their big clients' money and operate as private businesses like football clubs.

But banks do not like it and oppose it tooth and nail. Why?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    • They don't get paid with your money
    • Use a building society or coop, maybe?
    That's the point, ultimately they do. They use your money to generate their wages. If no-one deposited with that bank, there would be no money to pay them.

Now you could say use a coop etc, but these institutions also deposit your money somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    You have little choice than to use the banking system and provide bankers with your money to play with, and to get paid with.
    • They don't get paid with your money
    • Use a building society or coop, maybe?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    No they aren't. Bankers USE your money to generate more money for themselves.

And are you sure there is no banking money funding the Barclays Premier League?
    You have little choice than to use the banking system and provide bankers with your money to play with, and to get paid with.

You do have the choice to take or leave football, and take or leave the bank that sponsors them.
    Last edited by Doggy Styles; 25 January 2012, 11:06. Reason: eh?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Bankers are paid with your money, whether you are an investor or simply have a bank account.

Footballers aren't.

I hope this helps the argument, but I doubt it.
    I thought everyone gets paid with your money regardless. If I buy a Pot Noodle then any monies, travel, shop, article, etc. that I have laid out on go back up the chain eventually to the originating source. In that chain will, of course, be the persons involved in the manufacturing, sale, etc. of the end product who would get a portion of my expenditure.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Nah, it's much cuter - they've got maybe £300k of the money belonging to future generations when inflation and interest payments are taken into account.
    So now even unborn children are entitled to free money? It's benefits gone mad!

Bankers are paid with your money, whether you are an investor or simply have a bank account.

Footballers aren't.

No they aren't. Bankers USE your money to generate more money for themselves.

And are you sure there is no banking money funding the Barclays Premier League?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

Footballers aren't.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Happens to the best of us*

*If I had a pound for everytime I've said that on here. i'd be a rich man.
    You've only made 23,137 posts on here in total, so at best you'd get just over what you supposedly get from Olympics rent of your eco shed

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Fuck me. I've just found myself reading a sasguru post, nodding and agreeing.,

Happens to the best of us*

*If I had a pound for everytime I've said that on here. i'd be a rich man.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Fuck me. I've just found myself reading a sasguru post, nodding and agreeing.
    Call NHS Direct?

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Most investment banks have branches in London. Most were NOT bailed out, although in the US some banks were forced to take money in case. Those that could paid that back as soon as they could.

You cretins are so dumb you fall for any witch-hunt going. You're manipulated by politicians and special interest groups and you're too thick to figure it out
    Fuck me. I've just found myself reading a sasguru post, nodding and agreeing.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    He's got 30K of our money?
    Nah, it's much cuter - they've got maybe £300k of the money belonging to future generations when inflation and interest payments are taken into account.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    All banks?
    Didn't you tell us you were a permie on £30K. There's a reason for that.
    He's got 30K of our money?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
    Did you not hear? The banks were bailed out with £BILLIONS of UK taxpayer's money. And then went on continuing to pay themselves HUGE £bonuses.
    Now you used big fonts, I'm convinced.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Must remind of Mother Russia.
    In Russian default of 1998 which made me leave that country it was different: close up banks were able to sell paper that Govt defaulted on and buy hard currency which got devalued 4 times within month of default. Many banks had foreign loans in hard currency but they could not buy it at new rates so they defaulted but prior to that many owners fecked over depositors by moving assets elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X