• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Queen Mother

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Queen Mother"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Which is surprising since Ken Follett is a leading light of the New Labour Literatti....
    Yep, and his wife, Babs. And possibly his wife's babs. My dad introduced them to each other (they were both married to other people at the time); they were all members of the same constituency party.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Camilla is William's mother?!?!?
    That would be an interesting twist on the plot! Although I think he looks a bit too much like Diana for it to be likely.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I'm only a third of the way through it but so far no revisionist claptrap.

Which is surprising since Ken Follett is a leading light of the New Labour Literatti.

Then again, the period in which it is set predates all the stuff they're ashamed of.
    Pillars of the Earth is also available on DVD. It's an excellent mini-series. Hmm, might watch it again soon.

I'm surprised someone like Ken Follett hasn't written a historical novel based on William Fitz Osbert, a 12th century agitator and champion of the poor.

Fitz Osbert was a striking figure who held demagogue-like charismatic power over his followers. He had a long beard and was given the nickname "the Bearded". He had a University education, had been on Crusade and held a civic office in London. A contemporary remarked "He was of ready wit, moderately skilled in literature, and eloquent beyond measure; and wishing .. to make himself a great name, he began to scheme .. upon the achievement of mighty plans."
    "I am the savior of the poor. Do ye, oh, poor! who have experienced the heaviness of rich men's hands, drink from my wells the waters of the doctrine of salvation, and ye may do this joyfully; for the time of your visitation is at hand. For I will divide the waters from the waters. The people are the waters. I will divide the humble from the haughty and treacherous. I will separate the elect from the reprobate, as light from darkness."

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Shoot. Forgott that tiny detail.

Step Queen Mum?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    The scenario is this: Charles becomes king and reigns until he passes on, say for 39 years or so.

Camilla survives him, Wills becomes king and there's our next Queen Mum.
    God bless her!
    In fact, the Queen Mother is a Queen Dowager (widow of a king who reigned in his own right) who is also mother of a reigning sovereign.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Was discussing this with the crew in the pub last night.

We could, in fact, have a Queen Mother sooner than we think: Cadillac.

The scenario is this: Charles becomes king and reigns until he passes on, say for 39 years or so.

Camilla survives him, Wills becomes king and there's our next Queen Mum.
    God bless her!

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    A little fact garnered from the dinner table discussion last night.....

I always assumed the term Queen Mother referred to the mother of the Queen. In fact, the Queen Mother is a Queen Dowager (widow of a king who reigned in his own right) who is also mother of a reigning sovereign.
    Sorry if I'm doing a Godwin, but I am about as interested in the mediaeval title system of those who claim to own us body and soul, as I am in the minutiae of the SS uniforms. The presumption and practice of taking over other people's lives is much more important than the décor.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Bet it's not as good as the Brother Cadfael stories by Ellis Peters.
    I'm only a third of the way through it but so far no revisionist claptrap.

Which is surprising since Ken Follett is a leading light of the New Labour Literatti.

Then again, the period in which it is set predates all the stuff they're ashamed of.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    They were all queen regnants.

Queen Elizabeth II was (obviously) crowned queen. Queen Mary (assuming you mean Mary I rather than Mary of Teck) was the first ruling queen. Empress Matilda was an uncrowned queen regnant, as was Lady Jane Grey.
    Yep. You just got in there before me.

Empress Matilda was the only legitimate heir of Henry I after his son Stephen was killed in the White Ship Disaster.

I'm currently reading the excellent "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett which deals with the rebellion against King Stephen, Henry's nephew, by Robert, Earl of Gloucester in an attempt to place Matilda (Maude) on the throne.

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Hmmm...

They all came to the throne 'unexpectedly'?

(i.e. being married to, or the daughter of the second-eldest prince etc?)

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    All eldest daughters?
    Nope.

They are all, in fact Queens Regnant,
    i.e. queens who have ruled in their own right.

(Though Lady Jane Grey and Empress Matilda may be discounted from the list of English Monarchs since neither was crowned and their reigns were very brief).

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    What do the Queen, Queen Mary, Lady Jane Grey and Empress Matilda have in common?
    They were all queen regnants.

Queen Elizabeth II was (obviously) crowned queen. Queen Mary (assuming you mean Mary I rather than Mary of Teck) was the first ruling queen. Empress Matilda was an uncrowned queen regnant, as was Lady Jane Grey.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    So which ones didn't?
    Matilda, he was a post-op tranny truck driver from Birmingham and one of his implants burst.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Nope
    So which ones didn't?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    And this information is useful for reasons other than clogging brains cells with useless garbage, and which in a healthy brain would be cleared out by the GAC when it next runs at night whilst asleep?
    One day you will be on WWTBAM and that question will come up and you will regret having junked the answer. Possibly.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X