• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Global Warming 'innit?"

Collapse

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The entire point is the atmosphere is what protects us against fluctuations by the sun in the first place. So kind of the opposite to your suggestion it's all the sun's fault.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone ever calculated how long we could manage if the sun went out, before it got too cold. (The Black Cloud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia doesn't count ). Would it be days, weeks or months.
    Nope, It protects us from harmful radiation, but does not have enough 'inertia' to protect us from long-term changes in solar output. It just responds to them.

The atmosphere would be too cold for mammals in just a few days, and would freeze to a liquid in a week or two. The fish might last a bit longer because the oceans have 'thermal inertia' and would freeze from the top down over maybe months.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Just because the alarmists said Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent
    So you really are still touting a single decade-old tulip newspaper article? By a human rights journalist no less. In preference to thousands of actual studies? Is that really all you have?

BP oil spills and an end to snow - YouTube About 3 minutes in.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    The entire point is the atmosphere is what protects us against fluctuations by the sun in the first place. So kind of the opposite to your suggestion it's all the sun's fault.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone ever calculated how long we could manage if the sun went out, before it got too cold. (The Black Cloud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia doesn't count ). Would it be days, weeks or months.
    If The Sun Went Out, How Long Would Life On Earth Survive? | Popular Science

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
    Well, mercury has no atmosphere to speak of, and venus has a massively-dense CO2 atmosphere. They call it a 'runaway greenhouse effect'.

Do they still get snow in winter, or is that a thing of the past?

What do the models say or do we need another £billion for a new supercomputer and 1st class trips to the Maldives for a Climate Summit before we can be sure the science is settled?

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    That your model of a planet as a rock near a 100W bulb is so woefully inaccurate as to be useless. Venus is hotter than Mercury but is twice as far from the sun
    Well, mercury has no atmosphere to speak of, and venus has a massively-dense CO2 atmosphere. They call it a 'runaway greenhouse effect'.

I refer you to Page 64 of 'The Boy's Book of Space' - 1963 edition.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    That your model of a planet as a rock near a 100W bulb is so woefully inaccurate as to be useless. Venus is hotter than Mercury but is twice as far from the sun

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Go and visit Mars, Venus and our moon and let us know what you find out.
    Go on, save me the trip. What did you find out when you went??

Have those ice caps stopped melting on Mars yet??

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    They rusted away

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Mars was destroyed by global warming yet no space probe has ever found trace of a 4x4.....curious.....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Well, even if they are crashing, lets look for the culprit.

The temperature of space is about two degrees above absolute zero...let's say minus 271 degrees C. That's the temperature that the earth would fall to if the sun simply went out.

Add that to the average temperature on Earth (let's say 15 degrees C for the sake of argument) and that means that the Sun makes the Earth 286 degrees hotter than it would be without. Not 285, or 287, but exactly rock-steady at 286 for thousands of years.

Global warming on Earth has nothing to do with the Sun, of course :-)

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    I will believe...I will believe...They know what is best for me...I am guilty of wrongthink...I need to have it repeated to me over and over until I believe.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

The temperature of space is about two degrees above absolute zero...let's say minus 271 degrees C. That's the temperature that the earth would fall to if the sun simply went out.

Add that to the average temperature on Earth (let's say 15 degrees C for the sake of argument) and that means that the Sun makes the Earth 286 degrees hotter than it would be without.

And the last ice age ended because all the mammoths and sabre-toothed tigers started driving around in 4x4s

Question; Why are the arctic and antarctic still awash with climate scientists, when the politicians seem to already know for certain what causes it?
    Okay come on, fess up.

Which oil company bribed you into saying that?

Just because the alarmists said Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent and the climate models backed it up, and then it turned cold and they said Cold Winters Driven By Global Warming : Discovery News and the climate models backed it up, and then UK Weather: Warmest Winter On Record As Britain Gears Up For Weekend 'Hotter Than Turkey' and so they had to delete the latest models and retrieve the old ones from backup tape....

Meanwhile Al Gore could become world's first carbon billionaire - Telegraph and BBC News - Six jailed over tax evasion in carbon permit trade if you don't "believe"
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 23 January 2012, 20:37.

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied

Add that to the average temperature on Earth (let's say 15 degrees C for the sake of argument) and that means that the Sun makes the Earth 286 degrees hotter than it would be without. Not 285, or 287, but exactly rock-steady at 286 for thousands of years.

And the last ice age ended because all the mammoths and sabre-toothed tigers started driving around in 4x4s

Question; Why are the arctic and antarctic still awash with climate scientists, when the politicians seem to already know for certain what causes it?
    Last edited by KimberleyChris; 23 January 2012, 20:21.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Phew!

Had me worried for a minute!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X