• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Recommendations for NYC hotel in Feb"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    DB Bistro Moderne

Here's another pic of the burger, it was awesome:

Looks nice and all but $32 for a burger !!!

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Where was this?

Burger looks a bit pink mind - LOL. Dont want to be tulipting through a sponge for the weekend!
    DB Bistro Moderne

Here's another pic of the burger, it was awesome:

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Nope. Aint paying £2000 on a trip to spend it on a treadmill!!!! LOL

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Are you into fitness? Stay at the Affinia in Manhatten on honeymoon a few years back. Advertised as a fitness type hotel, but it seemed like any other, however the gym and the sauna/swedish massage was very good though.

qh

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Ah... That explains the Continental plane with Continental tail and United written on the side I saw at Manchester over the weekend!
    Yep - they kept the Continental logo and the United name in the merger.

Not many people were pleased with that decision - don't know what they wanted, but I remember reading about how upset they were.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Yeh. Could be a problem with dates. We usually go off peak (October/November and take DS out of school) which is bit easier.

Continental is shortly going to be no more as well since they merged with United some time ago. In fact, all the points are going to be transferred to united as well.
    Ah... That explains the Continental plane with Continental tail and United written on the side I saw at Manchester over the weekend!

If not too late for the hotel, look into the Hyatt at Grand Central train station. Excellent location as the subway is literally below your room, and loads of cool diners nearby for breakfast.

Check out New York Party Tour which is a tour company, giving a really half day tour of NYC, great for getting your bearings and a really interesting tour to go on.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Good luck getting the dates that you want for that one

We went last year and I had to get the freebie booked 300+ days before we went, and had to get a business class flight for the four of us (Manchester to Atlanta via Frankfurt; Denver to Manchester via Frankfurt).

At least Continental is a Star Alliance partner, so you can use other partners. I collected with BMI for years (quickest way to get a gold card) but have cashed in to use with Lufthansa and United instead.
    Yeh. Could be a problem with dates. We usually go off peak (October/November and take DS out of school) which is bit easier.

Continental is shortly going to be no more as well since they merged with United some time ago. In fact, all the points are going to be transferred to united as well.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Wife and I stayed in the Waldorf Astoria back in June 2011. Can't remember the exact price I'm afraid, but flights and hotel was somewhere like £2500 for the week.

Very grand hotel and the wife LOVED it, very central, taxi rank outside, good bus routes and nearby subway lines.
    Did that on Hilton points one year. Flight was on points as well

When we checked out of the hotel, the bill was 25c for a phone call. If we'd declined the daily newspaper, they would have owed us money, as they knock off 50c a day.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Wife and I stayed in the Waldorf Astoria back in June 2011. Can't remember the exact price I'm afraid, but flights and hotel was somewhere like £2500 for the week.

Very grand hotel and the wife LOVED it, very central, taxi rank outside, good bus routes and nearby subway lines.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    got enough air miles/points for a freebie to Florida next time round.....
    Good luck getting the dates that you want for that one

We went last year and I had to get the freebie booked 300+ days before we went, and had to get a business class flight for the four of us (Manchester to Atlanta via Frankfurt; Denver to Manchester via Frankfurt).

At least Continental is a Star Alliance partner, so you can use other partners. I collected with BMI for years (quickest way to get a gold card) but have cashed in to use with Lufthansa and United instead.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Who are you flying with?

When we went to NY for MrsF's 30th, we were with US Airways. If you leave it to the last 24 hours before the flight, they will sell you a business class upgrade for $500 each, if there is availability. First class upgrade is another $300 on top. We did it for the way back, paid our $1000 (when it was nearly $2 to the £), and they upgraded us from economy to first class for that.

Since it was a special occasion, an extra £500 wasn't a bad price for a first class ticket.
    Continental. Paid for extra legroom seats but the price of business class was stupid. Like 8x more.

Maybe if its going when we rock up at the airport I'll see if its going begging....

Not too keen on Continental but we always used to use them for holidays to Florida (flight from BRS-New York-Florida - but they dont do this now) and with this flight to NYC got enough air miles/points for a freebie to Florida next time round.....

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Try

Luxury Hotels by Morgans Hotel Group - Official Site

or

New York Hotels | W New York

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Booked the Trump Soho now. Looks well posh...

Not too cheap but they were doing a good deal on expedia for the superior room and 12% cashback via Quidco ;-)

Still £765 for three nights (but hopefully will get the £90 cashback).

As I found out, hotels in NYC aint cheap. But having shelled out over £900 for flights anyway whats a few more quid....
    Who are you flying with?

When we went to NY for MrsF's 30th, we were with US Airways. If you leave it to the last 24 hours before the flight, they will sell you a business class upgrade for $500 each, if there is availability. First class upgrade is another $300 on top. We did it for the way back, paid our $1000 (when it was nearly $2 to the £), and they upgraded us from economy to first class for that.

Since it was a special occasion, an extra £500 wasn't a bad price for a first class ticket.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Ace Hotel is where I stayed, view from looked onto Empire State, was in midtown, so good for walking up to Central park or down to gawp at Ground Zero.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Booked the Trump Soho now. Looks well posh...

Not too cheap but they were doing a good deal on expedia for the superior room and 12% cashback via Quidco ;-)

Still £765 for three nights (but hopefully will get the £90 cashback).

As I found out, hotels in NYC aint cheap. But having shelled out over £900 for flights anyway whats a few more quid....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X