• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "previous employer reference"

Collapse

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    I believe employers have to give a reference
    Nope:

Does your employer have to give you a reference?
    If you want to leave your job you will probably want a reference. It's good practice for your employer to give one, but they don't have to if your contract doesn't say they have to, except in some regulated industries like financial services.
    Linky
    Aha. That'll be why that's the case in my experience.

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    morse code?

in that case...

Put the kettle on Lewis. full throttle

--. --- --- -.. -. .. --. .... - .- .-.. .-..

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
    That's nothing...I still use morse code here when I have got my other hat on. Honest!
    morse code?

in that case...

Put the kettle on Lewis. full throttle

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    it must be old, if it knows what a fax is

That's nothing...I still use morse code here when I have got my other hat on. Honest!

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Shame they couldn't spell competent, though.
    It's a shame that they couldn't spell competent, though.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Oops.

The old lap top's getting knacked now. I need to stamp on the 'm' and the 'k', and one of the 'shifts' has packed in too.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for drawing this grievious error to my attention. I promise that I will take far more care in the future.
    it must be old, if it knows what a fax is

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Oops.

The old lap top's getting knacked now. I need to stamp on the 'm' and the 'k', and one of the 'shifts' has packed in too.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for drawing this grievous error to my attention. I promise that I will take far more care in the future.
    Last edited by KimberleyChris; 16 January 2012, 22:31. Reason: :-) yes, I know...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    The last one I saw was just a brief blank FAX which asked:

Name?, Position?, How long for?.
    Copetent and qualified?
    Would the candidate in your opinion be suitable for ............ position?
    Would you re-employ?

I suppose they just leave blank spaces rather than risk getting sued.
    Shame they couldn't spell competent, though.

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    The last one I saw was just a brief blank FAX which asked:

Name?, Position?, How long for?.
    Copetent and qualified?
    Would the candidate in your opinion be suitable for ............ position?
    Would you re-employ?

I suppose they just leave blank spaces rather than risk getting sued.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    great.
    you may find out something that you dont really want to know.

my last reference was 'Most of his work was outstanding and when he joined he was fired with enthusiasm. He left the same way'

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Actually, let's see if we can make this a bit easier:

Linky

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by calacik View Post
    how do i know if past employer gives poor reference?
    Asking for a copy of your reference once you start your new job
    Once you start working for a new employer you can ask them for a copy of any reference they've been given from your previous employers. They should supply it to you under data protection law.
    Linky

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    I believe employers have to give a reference
    Nope:

Does your employer have to give you a reference?
    If you want to leave your job you will probably want a reference. It's good practice for your employer to give one, but they don't have to if your contract doesn't say they have to, except in some regulated industries like financial services.
    Linky

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    I believe under European law a company can give you a good or bad reference, or refuse to give a reference.

A lot of companies actually ban their staff from giving references for legal reasons - if you think they unfairly gave you a bad reference you could take them to court.

I have always put references "available on request" on my CV, and I have never been asked for them (except by dodgy agents trying to drum up leads).

In my experience most hiring managers acknowledge references are bollocks (you wouldn't list a referee who would give you a bad reference) and would rather go by their own instincts and impressions. If they really think you're odd, they'll insist on a police check

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by calacik View Post
    will the new employer let me know if they not happy about references?
    This is a contractor forum not a permie forum..

Also you will most certainly know if your new employer doesn't like your references!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X