• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Interview Advice

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview Advice"

Collapse

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    It's a team rolling out relatively new approaches within the business, so as well as actually doing the work, practitioners should be an advocate for change and be able to educate business teams, and bring them around. In their experience it's been a challenge to find contractors prepared/able to properly engage the business at that level, most just want to be left to their own devices.
    This is always the hardest requirement to fill IMO - someone who has the technical expertise to perform the role, and yet can still communicate with the business and get underneath their processes and issues. People with both technical and business knowledge are hard to find.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    WSS - well done!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I was offered both contracts today.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I'm not convinced I'd want to work for someone who by the time they got to number eight on a list of ten items had forgotten whether this was a list of things that they want or do not want.
    aye

Anyone who goes to an interview armed with this 'wisdom' is assuming that all interviwers are the same and they all have the same criteria.
    You have to be quick on your feet and read the situation imho

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    "I have interviewed dozens of IT contractors. Some I will hire before others. The following are the type of IT contractors I do not want.

<snip>
    8. Those with Longer Contracts
    I'm not convinced I'd want to work for someone who by the time they got to number eight on a list of ten items had forgotten whether this was a list of things that they want or do not want.
    Last edited by TheFaQQer; 18 January 2012, 16:33. Reason: Removed spurious SIZE tag

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Repeat after me "There is only one contractor site. There is only one contractor site. There is only one contractor site. There is only one contractor site."
    Tell that to the Advertising Standards Authority.

Oh wait, you did.....

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Well done RH Glad it all worked out!

It's from another 'contractor' site. They've not done it yet.
    Seeing as the first was in 2006 we may be waiting a while for the follow up

There's a few. ContractorUK is No 2 in the Top 10 Contractor sites. I cannot list it as Admin gets funny about it when he looks in his magic mirror.
    Repeat after me "There is only one contractor site. There is only one contractor site. There is only one contractor site. There is only one contractor site."

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Aha, tourist booking software for the cruise ship industry
    Yep, although they still need bailouts from time to time.

igmc

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

Cheers all - nice to know the market's still buoyant in certain sectors.
    Aha, tourist booking software for the cruise ship industry

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Shall we have a sweepstake on when RH is going to do a Suity and come and moan about his new contract ?

Congrats on the new contract.

I'll go for 2 weeks. Possibly about the nightmare 16hr day situation I just found myself in.

Cheers all - nice to know the market's still buoyant in certain sectors.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Out of interest what did they mean by 'contractors with a certain mindset'?
    It's a team rolling out relatively new approaches within the business, so as well as actually doing the work, practitioners should be an advocate for change and be able to educate business teams, and bring them around. In their experience it's been a challenge to find contractors prepared/able to properly engage the business at that level, most just want to be left to their own devices.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
    There's another?
    There's a few. ContractorUK is No 2 in the Top 10 Contractor sites. I cannot list it as Admin gets funny about it when he looks in his magic mirror.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Shall we have a sweepstake on when RH is going to do a Suity and come and moan about his new contract ?

Congrats on the new contract.

Leave a comment:

• Notascooby
    replied
    There's another?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
    Nice read....care to post the follow-up for completeness?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X