• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Boris Johnson

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boris Johnson"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    HS2 is the right choice. Similar objections were raised when the LOndon-Bristol railway was first proposed. And the M4. This country seems to be full of luddites - no suprise that Asia are walking all over us.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    I'm with Boris, the money would be far better invested in Crossrail 2. We don't really want any more brummies in London, and hardly any of them will be able to afford to use HS2 to come down here anyway.
    I meet cross rail passengers every day

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Very limited as due to the soil south of the river its not feasible to build tunnels there...
    I can only imagine what would happen with house prices in that area if finally the Tube appears there

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Wot, they have no access to underground just now?
    Very limited as due to the soil south of the river its not feasible to build tunnels there...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I don't
    Try not to take things so personally. He isn't specifically trying to spoil your rail journeys.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I doubt I could even reach London, let alone the Channel, for the price of a return plane ticket to the Canaries.
    3 hours train to Paris will get me there faster than going through airports malarkey.

I don't think airplane tickets will remain that cheap in a long term.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Eh? Euro channel prices are super cheap, just compare them with peak price to get to London from Birmingham (£70 one way standard).
    I doubt I could even reach London, let alone the Channel, for the price of a return plane ticket to the Canaries.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    But it will cost more just getting to the Channel Tunnel by train than it would cost to circumnavigate the world by plane.
    Eh? Euro channel prices are super cheap, just compare them with peak price to get to London from Birmingham (£70 one way standard).

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    It wont connect to Benidorm so no point.
    It will as soon as it's build - they cut off that connection from original plan to save costs (wrongly in my view), but once HS2 is there it won't cost as much do link it up with high speed line under La Manche.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post

Pervert. Jail him and throw away the key.
    It would be cheaper to send him back to Russia.

Oh _Boris_ - sorry, I thought you were talking about AtW.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    HS2 will be linked up to Channel Tunnel and trains will go all around europe - overnight sleeper can easily reach Venice by morning without any changes en route.
    But it will cost more just getting to the Channel Tunnel by train than it would cost to circumnavigate the world by plane.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I'd also like to see the Northern Line extension before HS2. And just imagine what that would do to the house prices in Wandsworth
    I'm really not sure why adding a couple of stations to the Northern Line in an area where you can already easily get into town by overland to Waterloo/Victoria and buses over the river is a priority. Seems like it's just a combination of lobbying by scum propery developers and the US embassy. I'd rather Crossrail2 was built first, but I doubt it will be.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    HS2 will be linked up to Channel Tunnel and trains will go all around europe - overnight sleeper can easily reach Venice by morning without any changes en route.
    It wont connect to Benidorm so no point.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Nope, overground only at the moment.
    I guess prisoners can be transported just fine by the overground to their "flats" in HMP Wandsworth - as soon as proper Tube gets there sasguru's house will double in price to cool £100k

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Wot, they have no access to underground just now?
    Nope, overground only at the moment. But then most of London south of the river is woefully catered for by the tube.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X