• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: SAS

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SAS"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    ftfy

At least one alternative has to be on this list, Shirley? I'll guess at DPS or SPSS for starters.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tical_packages
    I already use SPSS - it can't deal with large volumes generated e.g. by a transactional web site.
    OK for quick and dirty EDA on sample data sets.
    If there was a better alternative to SAS I'd use it since SAS is expensive, but so far still looking

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    But earlier in the thread you said there was no alternative. Now you're saying it's a simple question to suggest one?

That's thrown me, I was all geared up to be convinced that SAS was the only tool capable of processing large data volumes, and that Deliverance was the best food in London.
    You're on the bench aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You still haven't given me an alternative for the mathematical modelling of large volumes of data apart from SAS.
    It's a simple question, really, even if you don't know what you are talking about
    ftfy

At least one alternative has to be on this list, Shirley? I'll guess at DPS or SPSS for starters.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tical_packages

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You still haven't given me an alternative for the mathematical modelling of large volumes of data apart from SAS.
    Excel.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    It's a simple question, really, if you knew what you were talking about, which you don't.
    But earlier in the thread you said there was no alternative. Now you're saying it's a simple question to suggest one?

That's thrown me, I was all geared up to be convinced that SAS was the only tool capable of processing large data volumes, and that Deliverance was the best food in London.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Oh dear, I guess this is what happens when you take issue with claims that Product X is the only way of accomplishing a task, when the claimant is dependent on the use of Product X for their income.

Still I'm sure there's no need to worry, you've probably got a year or two until some consultancy comes along and sells your organisation a cheaper quicker alternative to their legacy SAS installation, and employs a bunch of contractors to implement it.

Until then, enjoy your performance reviews.
    It's a simple question, really, if you knew what you were talking about, which you don't.

As for your consultancy scenario, well they'll have to get past me first since I'm the boss, but I guess a itinerant IT jobber like you can't really immagine that.:

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You're losing your touch. I had him down months ago.
    I love the way these cretins keep digging. You only have to let them sit back and expose their complete ignorance.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Arrogance is talking about what you don't understand, which you've done on this thread.
    I asked you for a alternative to SAS for modelling huge volumes of data.
    You can't give me one.
    I have you down as a CUK village idiot now.
    And to answer your final question, I became a permie when I got an offer that paid more than contracting and because I didn't want to travel anymore.

HTH, BIDI since you're quite clearly a bull-tulipting cretin.
    You're losing your touch. I had him down months ago.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    And to answer your final question, I became a permie when I got an offer that paid more than contracting and because I didn't want to travel anymore.
    But if you are a good as you and living in London then surely you could have gotten very highly paid gigs within the City where you supposedly work now as permie?!?!

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Arrogance is talking about what you don't understand, which you've done on this thread.
    You can't give me one.

Oh dear, I guess this is what happens when you take issue with claims that Product X is the only way of accomplishing a task, when the claimant is dependent on the use of Product X for their income.

Still I'm sure there's no need to worry, you've probably got a year or two until some consultancy comes along and sells your organisation a cheaper quicker alternative to their legacy SAS installation, and employs a bunch of contractors to implement it.

Until then, enjoy your performance reviews.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Arrogance is talking about what you don't understand
    • Politics
    • Economics
    • Religion
    • Programming
    Who can add to the list?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    [blah bla] Did you decide to become a permie after being walked once too often for your arrogance?
    You can't give me one.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    You're just blowing hot air and showing your ignorance now. You clearly don't understand why companies would want and need to process hundreds of millions of records.
    Not sure what gives you that impression, but whatever.

Telecoms don't use SAS? Funny that I made loads of dosh contracting with telecoms in the past.
    Do you normally struggle as badly as this with reading comprehension? Sounds like I was right earlier when I mentioned that SAS people often struggle to communicate. I didn't say telecoms never use SAS, I just said it was an example of an industry where you may encounter volumes that SAS can't handle and need a tool which is more weapons-grade.

You haven't mentioned any alternatives to SAS for statistical processing and mathematical modelling on millions of records - although you have mentioned Excel
    Millions? It was hundreds of millions a paragraph ago. Make your mind up!

That just says what sorts of titchy companies you contract for.
    Do you think the size of a company is directly proportional to the volumes of data they process? Sounds like a misconception to me.

Thanks for playing with the big boys, now go back to your javascript coding, there's a good fellow
    Did you decide to become a permie after being walked once too often for your arrogance?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

ninja squirrel with moderator priviledges
    That too. I see Muphry's Law has struck again.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Fair play - I'm a designer not a mathematician, each to their own.

ninja squirrel with moderator priviledges

Leave a comment:

Working...
X