• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Speeding and magistrates court attendence"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Ignore the insurance and the ban and carry on driving.

If she gets pulled she'll get a further ban and another fine. Still work out cheaper than the insurance anyways.

I've watched them police progs on TV. The scrotes get let off everytime with a slap on the wrist.
    A slight correction: It works out cheaper if you are a feckless moron with no job, money or brains. If you are a well brought up person with cash and a house to raise CCJ's against you are stuffed all the way.

All she can do is tuff it out and pay the insurance. She's safer in the Mercedes than a tin can super mini. You might want to suggest she passes her advanced motoring it might help.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    I suspect under the T&Cs of her current insurance, she has to inform them of her ban immediately. They will presumably ask for some additional premium, although if her cover expires before the ban ends there may be little point.
    Her insurance runs out during the ban, so though I've told her to tell her insurers, it's not something I've pressed or am likely to until she gets her licence back. Her inclination seems to be to keep schtum, but I've told her not to do that. She still doesn't appreciate the significant increase in insurance costs, assuming she can get insurance at all now.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

If she gets pulled she'll get a further ban and another fine. Still work out cheaper than the insurance anyways.

I've watched them police progs on TV. The scrotes get let off everytime with a slap on the wrist.
    If I'd been rolled over as she was yesterday, that might well look like a good option.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Apparently Birmingham is the worst for this, which allegedly explains high insurance rates ...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I've spoken to her about this today and she's not interested in getting a smaller (or other) car, she wants to keep the Merc. She doesn't know about the insurance implications yet though, and neither do I for that matter - I can't seem to obtain a quote without inputting real details. Given up for now.

Saw this list of cheaper car to insure though:

The cheapest cars to insure - Confused.com
    I suspect under the T&Cs of her current insurance, she has to inform them of her ban immediately. They will presumably ask for some additional premium, although if her cover expires before the ban ends there may be little point.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Get a Volvo. It is none of those but you will come out better off in a crash between an Aygo and a Volvo.
    I've spoken to her about this today and she's not interested in getting a smaller (or other) car, she wants to keep the Merc. She doesn't know about the insurance implications yet though, and neither do I for that matter - I can't seem to obtain a quote without inputting real details. Given up for now.

Saw this list of cheaper car to insure though:

The cheapest cars to insure - Confused.com

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I think I'm going to try to persuade my mum to get a smaller car again. What's a nice cheap, reliable, cheap to maintain, low insurance car? Budget a few grand tops.
    Get a Volvo. It is none of those but you will come out better off in a crash between an Aygo and a Volvo.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I think I'm going to try to persuade my mum to get a smaller car again. What's a nice cheap, reliable, cheap to maintain, low insurance car? Budget a few grand tops.
    Smaller cars tend to be less safe especially in side and rear collisions. Safety first, then ecconomy

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    But we couldn't get to gigs and earn you shed loads of cash if that happened!
    On second thoughts...

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    If you banned driving altogether then there would be no accidents so why not go the whole hog and either ban it or set a speed limit of say 20 mph on all roads. Why is doing 31 mph dangerous and 30 mph isnt?
    But we couldn't get to gigs and earn you shed loads of cash if that happened!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    <Yawn>

EU - Road safety - Speed and accident risk

This is the direct correlation..

If you banned driving altogether then there would be no accidents so why not go the whole hog and either ban it or set a speed limit of say 20 mph on all roads. Why is doing 31 mph dangerous and 30 mph isnt?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    BTST Radar Detector

Subscribe to this - lots of very useful tips. I have got out of 10 speeding summons over the last 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    I got banned for a first offence in 1998. My advice to you is this: If your mum has money and a licence and insurance she's fcked. However should she be a shag head from the local council estate with none of the above and on benefits she should be good with a £30 fine paid at £5.00 a month...

She has already entered a plea so she has lost. Its just going to be a case of by how much...

When she gets to court they will invite her in to see the prior case so she can see what happens then they will try her case.

When I went to court, it turned out that the prior case to mine was a chav from the local estate. She had been taking her other half to the pub (because he was banned for DD the previous week), it turned out that the flaw in her plan was that she could not drive, and thus did not have a licence or insurance and was driving a car without any road tax... She hit a brand new Audi A4 while trying to change the tape over and managed enough damage to ensure the vehicle was written off. Felt sorry for the other driver because it was a new model and he would have had to wait for 6 months to get the car in the first place...

The penalty was a £30 fine no points (due to no licence and no ban for the same reason...) she had already been up infront of the magistrate for shop lifting so she was already paying a fine... thus reduced to £5 over 6 months.

My first offence on an empty road netted me a months ban, £500 fine and insurance premiums in the thousands for a few years after. Incidentally when a foreign **** ran into the back of my brand new Saab 93 the following year. It turned out that he worked at a local garage and had taken a customers car without consent. He was on a joy ride with his scabby bird. No fine or penalty because the police could not be bothered to round the oily little tulip up and the garage owner claimed that he had ran off back to Turkey . However the garage in question did spontaneously combust shortly afterwards, and the guy driving the car at the time of the accident turned out to be far easier to find than our boys in blue thought and somehow ran into a metal pipe and broke mostly every bone in his body. (I found this out when the local plod turned up on my door step to ask it it was my work...)

I am guessing that the rather large african guy that lost his spotless 325i in the accident didn't take the news so well...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X