• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Suarez...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Suarez..."

Collapse

• AtW
    replied

Source: Sir Alex Ferguson questions need for Luis Suarez peace talks | Mail Online

He looks quite pleased with himself...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    I hope so, dropped from England permanently too with any luck.
    If he is convicted it might really cost him a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Now Terry might really get it if found guilty.
    I hope so, dropped from England permanently too with any luck.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    Suarez been treated extremely harshly.

Now Terry might really get it if found guilty.

Suarez acted like a complete tweet in aftermath and totally deserves the punishment - if anything making an example of him by banning from being a big club footballer in the world would have sent the right signal.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Suarez admitted to have used that word at least once -

"Suraez's defence was that he used the word 'negro' only once and that it was when Evra is alleged to have said to him: 'Don't touch me, South American.' Suarez said he had replied: 'Por que, negro,' or 'Why, black?'"
    judging by the (MASSIVE) over-reaction to poor old Alan Hansen's use of the word "coloured" it's clearly OK to say "black" these days....

The whole racism thing is becoming tired. People getting offended just for the sake of getting offended these days.

Suarez been treated extremely harshly. Can't wait to see what Terry gets..............

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
    That doesn't really tell the full story. You need to read the full 113 page report the FA issued to see it is Suarez's word against Evra.
    I am sure very well paid Liverpool's lawyers read every page and so far no appeals forthcoming...

Leave a comment:

• Basil Fawlty
    replied

"Suraez's defence was that he used the word 'negro' only once and that it was when Evra is alleged to have said to him: 'Don't touch me, South American.' Suarez said he had replied: 'Por que, negro,' or 'Why, black?'"

Source:

Luis Suarez evidence 'unreliable' and 'inconsistent: FA release details of race row | Mail Online

It's not one man's word against the other.
    That doesn't really tell the full story. You need to read the full 113 page report the FA issued to see it is Suarez's word against Evra. Assuming you have a life though and aren't going to read it now here is the key difference they had to decide upon :

"Do we accept Mr Suarez's evidence that he used the word "negro" only once when he said to Mr Evra "Por que,negro?" ("Why, black?"), which was used in a conc...iliatory and friendly way that is customary in Uruguay? Or, do we accept Mr Evra's evidence that Mr Suarez used the word "negro" five times in the goalmouth when he said to Mr Evra "Porque tu eres negro"("Because you are black"), "No hablo con negros" ("I don't speak with blacks"), and "Dale,negro, negro, negro" ("Okay, blackie, blackie, blackie)?"

Sadly I don't have much of a life and did read the whole report and I cannot believe they have found him guilty. Evra's version of events supposedly occurs on the goal line and there were numerous players around them at the time, including his team mates and Spanish National De Gea, not one of them heard this exchange.

So not only have they taken Evra's word over that of Suarez, they've taken it without any evidence whatsoever, and given Evra's history with this sort of thing you'd have thought they'd at least have tried to be a bit more conciliatory with the punishment.

Interestingly Dirk Kuyt testified that he was 100% certain he heard Suarez say to the ref that he had only booked him because he was black. Again the FA completely discounted this despite the ref admitting he did not hear what Evra said. It really does make you think Liverpool have got a point about the FA having decided which way this was going to go right from the start....

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    He is not in a court of law - the level of proof required to kick him out of the game is much lower, it is sufficient just to say some public words about referees to get fined/banned.

Personally I think in sports any swearwords and insults should be dealt with harshly regardless of whether they are racists or not - can you see golf players swearing at each other or judges? It's unsporting and should be punished very harshly.
    Come on Alyoshen’ka, if you've played the game, footy or Rugger, the stuff that gets said, Christ I've been threatened with a twatting after the game, that someone will 'shag the arse' of my missus, watch out for a 'knock on the door', certainly now if this Suarez thing is to go off, threatening behaviour - but of course, racism is far worse than that....

But of course you will know that in Russia swearing in general is almost forbidden unless u r from the Bratok' class...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    In a court of law this would have been thrown out.
    He is not in a court of law - the level of proof required to kick him out of the game is much lower, it is sufficient just to say some public words about referees to get fined/banned.

Personally I think in sports any swearwords and insults should be dealt with harshly regardless of whether they are racists or not - can you see golf players swearing at each other or judges? It's unsporting and should be punished very harshly.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Source:

Luis Suarez evidence 'unreliable' and 'inconsistent: FA release details of race row | Mail Online

I think the issue is is the word 'negro' racist? I think not, but I am old. W*g, n*gg*r, wop, Spic, kraut, polak, Frog, they are all not nice, but some have taken on a more serious meaning, and that's to do with colour, but colour is just colour, religion is just religion, notice how I felt compelled to star certain ones out, that's not cos of racism. that cos a fear of racism.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied

Source:

He's not denying what was said, he is denying the context it was used in, the number of times it was used, the fact he didn't' instigate it.
    In a court of law this would have been thrown out.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I don't think lucky is getting an 8 match ban on one mans word against another
    Exactly! One word, positive discrimination. Terry will suffer too but he's as guilty as hell before anyone starts!

ITK...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Source:

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    As I said Suarez is very lucky he is not in Terry's shoes.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    wrong - criminal case against terry was because a member of the public reported it. Plus there is hard evidence of what was said.
    As I said Suarez is very lucky he is not in Terry's shoes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X