• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Pastoral Care

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pastoral Care"

Collapse

• DAG
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Pastoral duties are the none-religious parts of being a priest, i.e. generally looking after people... hence the word is usable in the wider context, i.e. my wife has pastoral groups at school.
    Spot on !

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I'm guessing it means personal mentoring, in a secular sense, and in that case for a contractor the answer is an emphatic no!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Pastoral care? Is he a priest or something?!

Seriously, I'm confused by the question. How does religion relate to work?
    Pastoral duties are the none-religious parts of being a priest, i.e. generally looking after people... hence the word is usable in the wider context, i.e. my wife has pastoral groups at school.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

You interpret some vague text to back up whatever misguided view point you are trying to get others to believe in, oh no sorry that's ITIL

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DAG View Post

As a contractor would you expect your line manager to provide Pastoral care?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I'd like to think I am competent enough to look after my own Fruit Pastilles

Leave a comment:

• DAG
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Ok, now you're talking.

Ask your line manager what they're expecting you to cover, that way you don't step on anyone's toes.
    That's a pretty good idea, ta

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Pretty much that .....

Plus the usual emergency / absence / performance stuff

Oh and providing not looking for ......
    Ok, now you're talking.

Ask your line manager what they're expecting you to cover, that way you don't step on anyone's toes.

Leave a comment:

• DAG
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    To me it makes no difference whether my "line-manager" is a contractor or not.

What sort of "pastoral" care are you looking for other than someone to sign your timesheets, notify of your inability to attend the site and where the coffee-machine, bogs are etc.?
    Pretty much that .....

Plus the usual emergency / absence / performance stuff

Oh and providing not looking for ......

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

Would it make a difference if your line manager was also a contractor or not?
    To me it makes no difference whether my "line-manager" is a contractor or not.

What sort of "pastoral" care are you looking for other than someone to sign your timesheets, notify of your inability to attend the site and where the coffee-machine, bogs are etc.?

Leave a comment:

• DAG
    replied
    Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    No. Now go and grow up.
    Fair enough.

So, if for example, you collapsed at work, you would expect me as your line manager to just step over your collapsed, in the way body, or contact your nearest and dearest to let them know? maybe contact the emergency servicers too?

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    No. Now go and grow up.

Leave a comment:

• DAG
    started a topic Pastoral Care

Pastoral Care

Would it make a difference if your line manager was also a contractor or not?

Working...
X