• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Out of contract - income needed"

Collapse

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    That's less than NMW isn't it? Not much in it if not...
    Depends how many hours you do. If you did a full 5 long days then you'd be up at the £550 end. Most places you'll do 4 days depending on demand. Hourly rates here are £12 - £14 an hour so not min wage

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    lol, thats double NMW

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    £25k a year below minimum wage? And they say contractors are out of touch...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Not possible these days. Too many people doing it for too little money. A mate used to do it back in the 90s and he covered a patch that was just the square mile and earn't enough back then to be VAT registered.

Why I keep the HGV licence up to date. Not great money (£400-500 per week) but better than being homeless.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Why I keep the HGV licence up to date. Not great money (£400-500 per week) but better than being homeless.
    Only if you are okay to sleep in a truck next to the guy you giving a lift

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Back in the 90s I did motorbike dispatch riding in the City for a couple of months - this turned out ot be my only void period in many years of contracting.
    Money was OK about £600 a week as I recall - kept the wolf from the door and stopped me dipping into warchest
    Not possible these days. Too many people doing it for too little money. A mate used to do it back in the 90s and he covered a patch that was just the square mile and earn't enough back then to be VAT registered.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Ignore that idiot Doogie. He is the biggest troll of these forums. He has a mental disorder which makes him hate his fellow human beings.
    Still trying to run that little feud because I disagreed with you in the Accounting forum? I bet you're a pleasure to work with, no wonder you got forced into contracting.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    How have you worked nearly non-stop for 4 years and only managed with 2-3 months' savings to fall back on?
    Back to contracting for 7 months. Got 6 months savings already and paid about 10K off debts (admitedly this mostly came from redundancy money) too.

I think you might need to spend a bit less to be honest....

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Joeman View Post
    Are you not already?? oh.... maybe i was supposed to keep that secret...
    Nope. Only way I can think of making any money from posting on forums is to install a power generator under each key on my keyboard.

Judging the number of posts some have on here it appears they're using a similar method to power their entire neighbourhood.

Leave a comment:

• Shivers
    replied
    Thanks for the 40+ replies and 900+ views.

Brought to you again by the ManOnTheSpot.

See you next year folks and all the best.

Cheers,
    MOTS

Leave a comment:

• Shivers
    replied
    Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
    Back to the original post

the best ROI I ever made was buying a bucket and a sponge and cleaning a few windows

Of course that was when Woolworths existed...
    Did think of a bit of window cleaning. Been living here 2 years and not one in sight. Low set-up cost - probably better than the cabs. Charge a tenner cash in hand and target 10 houses a day and get business cards printed for a door-drop. Think I'll do some market research first and spread a few business cards around first. If it works, I'll get someone else to take over.

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Back to the original post

the best ROI I ever made was buying a bucket and a sponge and cleaning a few windows

Of course that was when Woolworths existed...

Leave a comment:

• Shivers
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Give you a week.
    I think a week is pushing it. Hoping, realistically, to get the next contract in 3-4 weeks. Thanks for your vote of confidence though.
    Thanks again, Shivers.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Ignore that idiot Doogie. He is the biggest troll of these forums. He has a mental disorder which makes him hate his fellow human beings.
    The same can be said about half the people in General

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Shivers View Post
    HTH
    Give you a week.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X