• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dave Hartnett

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dave Hartnett"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    He'll probably get knighted for his services to the public...

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by BigTime View Post
    And another one: "Staff in HMRC are lions led by donkeys"
    Surely "donkeys led by donkeys?"

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
    He has to cut them tasty deals at HMRC's expense otherwise how else will he get the really tasty contracting gigs on 5K a day as a tax adviser to those company's ?

P.S. He's retiring in the Summer by the way, coincidence i'm sure
    I bet IR35 won't apply to him either

Leave a comment:

• brendan_uk
    replied
    Dave Hartnett, the permanent secretary for tax at HM Revenue & Customs, topped a survey of 172 senior civil servants carried out by researchers at City University.

They found that the civil servants were entertained on 3,151 separate occasions between 2007 and 2009, including trips to the tennis at Wimbledon, football matches at Chelsea and Manchester United, opera performances and fashion shows.

Mr Hartnett, who is in charge of the Britain’s tax system, was entertained 107 times, mostly at breakfasts, lunches and dinners, by some of the UK's biggest banks, law firms and accountancy firms, among others.
    Companies that entertained him included Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Ernst & Young, KPMG, PriceWaterhouse Coopers, and Deloitte.

Whitehall's most wined and dined civil servant is HMRC's Dave Hartnett - Telegraph

would the wining and dining be tax exempt? Hes not a client?

whole thing is complete sham

Leave a comment:

• geoff from contracta IOM
    replied
    He has to cut them tasty deals at HMRC's expense otherwise how else will he get the really tasty contracting gigs on 5K a day as a tax adviser to those company's ?

P.S. He's retiring in the Summer by the way, coincidence i'm sure

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    There was stuff in the BN66 thread about this.
    Sorry I don't read that thread as I never needlessly attempted to defraud HMRC and so subsequently don't need to worry about being bent over the kitchen table by Hector and given a retrospective rogering.

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    And another one: "Staff in HMRC are lions led by donkeys"

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Who is he/she?
    Lord Oakeshott (on BBC news now): "Legend in his own lunchtime"

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    There was stuff in the BN66 thread about this.

Leave a comment:

• SneakySimon
    replied
    I might offer to take him out for a meal in return for a reduction in Corp Tax bill - nothing fancy, just a Pret.

Be interesting to see if there approach changes - hopefully lay off small and medium business a bit. Don't mind paying my bit but sometimes as a contractor with my own private company, end up feeling like a criminal what with IR35 etc

Leave a comment:

• Notascooby
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    He's been wining and dining with big business and cutting special deals to save them millions on their tax bills.

Funny, I don't remember having the opportunity to discuss how much I should pay HMRC?
    Maybe change your company name to HSBC-Vodafone ltd?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    He's been wining and dining with big business and cutting special deals to save them millions on their tax bills.

Funny, I don't remember having the opportunity to discuss how much I should pay HMRC?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    What's he done then (can't be bothered to Google)?
    HMRC said: "The idea Dave Hartnett cuts a large tax bill in return for a glass of wine and a cheese sandwich is just plain nonsense."

So it sounds like he's been cutting large tax bills in return for a glass of whisky and a ham sandwich.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    I would be happy to provide you with adequate research and a risk analysis.

£550 per day plus expenses.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Wot no comments?

Given the 'news' today, I am surprised.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X