• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Office Canteens

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Office Canteens"

Collapse

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    WHY do they have to be so tulip?
    Yeah would get a bit repetitive, I always wondered, do you get your lunch free when you work for Mcdonalds? I know you only pick up the litter outside and are funded by the local councils hire a retard scheme, so probably not eh?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Hmmm current clientco usually has:

2 types of tinned soup
    Some random salad with lots of leaves and very little meat or veg
    Some tinned salads for the salad bar
    A selection of frozen deep fried Dutch food
    And of course lots of bread, meat and cheese to make your own sarnies
    Some large chunks of fruit to fit into a tiny bowl that they overcharge you for

It all tastes cak and costs a small fortune.

It doesn't help that there's nowhere to get summat to eat locally as the office is in the ar$e end of nowhere.

Citentcos in London had way better canteens with much better selections, and at least the salad bars had fresh veg.
    Is that in the Hague nextdoor to TNT Post?

If so, walk 200 metres up the road to this place;
    La Fortuna - Bistro Restaurant in Den Haag op iens.nl - Overzicht

It's not posh, but simple, straightforward home cooking, and very friendly. Alternative is Het Pleidooi. about 5 minutes walk in the same direction on adelheidstraat Het Pleidooi | Restaurant Het Pleidooi . Not much choice, but tasty pasta, usually either with salmon or chicken; I prefer the chicken.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Apparently, the Natwest tower restaurants used to be good. Silver service for the directors...

My experience has been slightly more lacklustre.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Hmmm current clientco usually has:

2 types of tinned soup
    Some random salad with lots of leaves and very little meat or veg
    Some tinned salads for the salad bar
    A selection of frozen deep fried Dutch food
    And of course lots of bread, meat and cheese to make your own sarnies
    Some large chunks of fruit to fit into a tiny bowl that they overcharge you for

It all tastes cak and costs a small fortune.

It doesn't help that there's nowhere to get summat to eat locally as the office is in the ar$e end of nowhere.

Citentcos in London had way better canteens with much better selections, and at least the salad bars had fresh veg.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Can't remember any previous ClientCo having a good canteen, several didn't have any at all.

At one gig the ClientCO paid for food if a meeting was booked over lunchtime, as you can imaging all the meeting rooms were booked every day and the pizza delivery came in a van.

Free beer in Belgium was a nice touch but only ever indulged in on Friday afternoons.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    LeberKäse is quite excellent especially if its made well with a nice crust. Fleischkäse is also very nice. For the Scots here maybe Saumagen might be up your street

Also remember that after a large German meal you are obliged to have a schnapps
    Are there any other sizes of German meal?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    LeberKäse is quite excellent especially if its made well with a nice crust. Fleischkäse is also very nice. For the Scots here maybe Saumagen might be up your street

Also remember that after a large German meal you are obliged to have a schnapps

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Leberkase is the reason I don't try to translate the menus in DE anymore.

LiverCheese bears no resemblance to the foodstuff.

It's a bit like trying to translate sweetbreads and deciding to have it for pudding.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    yep
    wooh yeah

learning every day!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Mushrooms with a dip and Fish soup?
    yep

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Leberkase etc is a sort of patélike meatloaf with onion gravy, mash and apple sauce.
    Kalbshacksteak is veal meatball, with an 'aromatic sauce', probably a spicy sauce.

You should understand the rest.
    Mushrooms with a dip and Fish soup?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    No sauerkraut?

I thought they had that stuff with everything
    Germans are quite conscious of methane emissions these days. If you've ever shared a room with 4 other people who've all eaten sauerkraut you'll know why they don't eat it every day.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Well I guess would go for the Chilli - cos I have no idea what anythng else is!!!

Leberkase etc is a sort of patélike meatloaf with onion gravy, mash and apple sauce.
    Kalbshacksteak is veal meatball, with an 'aromatic sauce', probably a spicy sauce.

You should understand the rest.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    No sauerkraut?

I thought they had that stuff with everything

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Tomorrows menu, with prices:

Tellergericht Leberkäse mit Zwiebeljus, Püree und Apfelmus (880 kcal) 1,90 EUR
    Angebot Kalbshacksteak mit aromatischer Sauce (420 kcal) 2,70 EUR
    Eintopf Chili sin Carne 1,50 EUR
    Aktion Gebratene Champignons mit Dipp (450 kcal) 2,50 EUR
    Suppe Fischsüppchen 0,50 EUR
    Well I guess would go for the Chilli - cos I have no idea what anythng else is!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X