• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: EU Referendum

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "EU Referendum"

Collapse

• petergriffin
    replied
    GET BRITAIN OUT OF EUROPE, in the interest of the EU...

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    Referendum on what? On the existing Lisbon treaty, which will be buried next Friday by Merkozy, or on any possible treaty between UK and the EU?
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Referendum on what? On the existing Lisbon treaty, which will be buried next Friday by Angelina Merkel and Brad Sarkozy, or on any possible treaty between UK and the EU?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    We can't demand a referendum on changes if we don't know what the proposals for change are.
    Exactly. Time to keep our powder dry. Then when we see the whites of their eyes watch Cameron sell us down the river like any other British politician apart from Thatcher.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    We can't demand a referendum on changes if we don't know what the proposals for change are.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    So you want a referendum 'just in case'?
    I just don't think it should be taken off the table just yet.
    Ideally we wait to see what Merkozy come up with, do the analysis of what it will do to British interests, not just whether it hands power over to Brussels or not, and then decide if this is worthy of a referendum, and then decide what questions to ask. Hopefully this is actually what they're going to do, and the Torygraph are just getting a little ahead of themselves.

I would say the question asked in the referendum would depend on how small or large (or crazy) the treaty change actually is.
    If Merkozy want to be crowned king and queen of Euroland, and all other states their humble slaves, the question "Should the UK leave the EU?" should definitely appear in the referendum.
    If it disadvantages the UK in some way but requires all EU countries to approve, the referendum would be an important bargaining chip to negotiate a better deal.
    If it only affects Eurozone countries, we may get away with no referendum, but we probably don't get a say anyway if only Eurozone countries get a vote.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    It's not about the Euro for the UK - It's about all the concessions Cameron is no doubt making in other areas.

Notice how they are now sneakily talking about a referendum only if there are "major" treaty changes. I don't remember that qualification before. Wasn't it "any" treaty changes?
    If the treaty changes only apply to the eurozone then why bother?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    So the UK holds a referendum on whether the Eurozone saves the Euro, the Brits all vote no so plunging the whole of the EU into a crisis forcing another referendum as to whether the UK stays in the EU where everyone votes yes and in the meantime we have a worldwide depression, because the necessary changes couldn't be done on time to the Lisbon treaty to satisfy the international bond markets.

Isn't this a no brainer...the UK doesn't even have the Euro.
    It's not about the Euro for the UK - It's about all the concessions Cameron is no doubt making in other areas.

Notice how they are now sneakily talking about a referendum only if there are "major" treaty changes. I don't remember that qualification before. Wasn't it "any" treaty changes?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Absolutely not. However the issue here is that we have been promised a referendum on any change that would involve handing more power over to Brussels, and Number 10 appears to be withdrawing this without even knowing the full details of the changes being proposed. There is a chance the new changes wont affect UK directly (i.e. affects Eurozone members only), but we don't even know that for sure yet.

Just a bit premature IMO, and makes us look like a soft touch to Merkozy
    So you want a referendum 'just in case'?

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Would you like a referendum on every important decision?
    Absolutely not. However the issue here is that we have been promised a referendum on any change that would involve handing more power over to Brussels, and Number 10 appears to be withdrawing this without even knowing the full details of the changes being proposed. There is a chance the new changes wont affect UK directly (i.e. affects Eurozone members only), but we don't even know that for sure yet.

Just a bit premature IMO, and makes us look like a soft touch to Merkozy

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    He may have to form a coalition with his mum
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    I heard he'd done that already.......
    Only a couple of letters need changing. I'll lend you a 'p' and a 'u' if you like.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    In all likelihood he already has. Several times.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I heard he'd done that already.......

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I have a feeling that potentially Andyw could win a presidential election.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I have a feeling that potentially Andyw could win a presidential election.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X