• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Only 9 of the 62 flats at One Hyde Park are paying council tax"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If they pay it. I suspect Hector could get alot more money by chasing this than by persuing BN66. But those that own the flats probably bankroll the Tory party so will be immune.
    WHS. Owned by a company domiciled in the Cayman islands I suspect, where they will pay the full force of Cayman islands tax, which is levied at a flat rate of 0%. So they will pay tax on it, just at 0%.

Hector will be happy as they have paid the tax owed.

This is how it works.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    If a company owns it instead of an individual resident, there will be no capital gains tax relief available when they sell it. Which will generate a whole lot more money for the government than a few years council tax.
    If they pay it. I suspect Hector could get alot more money by chasing this than by persuing BN66. But those that own the flats probably bankroll the Tory party so will be immune.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    If a company owns it instead of an individual resident, there will be no capital gains tax relief available when they sell it. Which will generate a whole lot more money for the government than a few years council tax.
    Only if they are liable for UK tax?

There's nothing to stop them trading one for a place elsewhere in the world and showing no profit in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Only if there are capital gains.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Looks like they are evading both pretty effectively.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Would you be happy to publish your detailed company accounts and tax returns on CUK?

Thought not.
    I think Freamon was being ironic. Only the exceptionlly moronic actually subscribe to that pathetic mantra of despair.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Would you be happy to publish your detailed company accounts and tax returns on CUK?

Thought not.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
    That logic can trigger a slide down an awfully slippery slope.
    Yes, worrying isn't it. Still I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to point out that this would be an ideal opportunity to boost sales of toboggans or something.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    That logic can trigger a slide down an awfully slippery slope.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    From the title I assumed the story was going to be that the properties were used for benefits claimants.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Good for them I say. The more tax the council gets, the more they'll waste on security cameras.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    It's not on the Monopoly Board so I don't understand....

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Only little people pay tax
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Good for them I say. The more tax the council gets, the more they'll waste on security cameras.

Only little people pay council tax

Leave a comment:

Working...
X