• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Will you be paying for F1?"

Collapse

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    F1 is not even worth watching while free. Its like watching an advertising hoarding going round and round. Good to fall asleep in front of but nothing else.

As Mrs BP has pointed out, the best bits are the crashes. And no-one dies these days.
    Yes, if you want to see someone die you have to watch IndyCar:

Dan Wheldon crash video: IndyCar champion dead after 15-car pile-up in Las Vegas | Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Rarely watch a race live anymore.
    As long as the BBC keeps the online race in 90 seconds video, I'll be happy.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Haven't watched an F1 race in 15 years, so I don't suppose it'll bother me much.

Don't even watch BTCC any more, which was much more fun, back in the day, with Sierra Cosworths & such like.
    That Aussie v8 series is quite good. particularly like all the bashing that goes on...and the sound!

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    F1 is not even worth watching while free. Its like watching an advertising hoarding going round and round. Good to fall asleep in front of but nothing else.

As Mrs BP has pointed out, the best bits are the crashes. And no-one dies these days.
    It really has become pansy racing really with stewards handing out penalties willy-nilly, gravel traps now tarmacked over, power steering.

Son won't be disappointed however as he watches them on red-button anyway. Rarely watch a race live anymore.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Just found this on Wiki:

List of Bathurst 1000 vehicles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of Bathurst 1000 vehicles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can you imagine going around Bathurst in a Mini?

With V8 supercars passing.

Used to love Bathurst.

Proper balls to the wall racing.

"Git out of the waaay, I'm coming thru".
    Last edited by zeitghost; 9 May 2017, 14:50.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Don't even watch BTCC any more, which was much more fun, back in the day, with Sierra Cosworths & such like.
    Yeah I've gradually got bored with BTCC since the days of the super tourers about 10 years ago. The current ones are like what the chavs drive after Halfordsing them up. Maybe that's the attraction these days.

Used to go and watch live at the tracks as a day out on Sundays, though most circuits are a bit boring as you can only ever see a few corners. Donnington (near Craner Curves) and Brands Hatch (overlooking almost all of the indy circuit) were notable exceptions.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    My wife quite likes having a nap to F1, says the noise of the cars is very soporific.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    <Bernie is bonkers> ...

That or snipers to take out the lead car's tyres if they get too far in front, like they did with Mansell when he was about to win the championship the first time.

Judging by Vettels race a couple of weeks ago I feel this may be back in fashion.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Good race today. Of course to those who learnt about motor racing from watching Fast & Furious or playing Need for Speed it might seem less enthralling without deaths and crashes, but F1 is a sport for the more educated fan.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Obviously races as exciting as todays make F1 worth paying for.
    Yep. I'm thinking Bernie may have not been totally bonkers after all when he suggested having water sprinklers to make them wet races if they get too processional like today's.

That or snipers to take out the lead car's tyres if they get too far in front, like they did with Mansell when he was about to win the championship the first time.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    The "or" is italicised, so I read that as either (both Sky Sports 1 and 2) or (HD package).
    Yep - and a comment further down confirms this.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    So in answer to the question, no I won't be paying any more for F1, I'll get the Sky coverage for free.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Sky Sports launches F1 channel | Sky Sports

Apparently, it will available free if you subscribe to Sky Sports 1&2 or Sky HD.

I read that - as if you have HD, but none of the Sports channels, you still get it.

Although any developer will know that the placement and interpretation of the 'and' and 'or' can make a huge difference.
    The "or" is italicised, so I read that as either (both Sky Sports 1 and 2) or (HD package).

So in answer to the question, no I won't be paying for F1, I'll get the Sky coverage for free.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    I wont. Then again I am in Germany so its terrestrial.

Looks like the SKY/BBC deal is worse than first thought. Not only do you need SKY, but you will also have to subscribe to a PPV F1 channel.

BBC and Sky reveal F1 coverage plans - Yahoo! Eurosport
    It's not PPV.

Originally posted by Sky F1 page
    The dedicated channel will be provided at no extra charge to all Sky TV customers who take both Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 or the HD pack of channels. It will be found at 408 in Sky's on-screen guide, after a scheduled move of the Sky Sports channels. Sky Sports viewers without the Sky+ HD pack will receive a standard definition version.
    But, no, I won't be paying for it.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Obviously races as exciting as todays make F1 worth paying for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X