• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: UK v eurozone debt

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK v eurozone debt"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    .. We are merely slowing the rate at which the debt will increase - to the point that 4-5 years from now, it will cease to get any worse - and that's if Plan A works. ..
    which it won't, because growth forecasts are in the best tradition of Hans Andersen

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Yes the eurozone crisis is hitting everyone outside it too.

If you are going to cherry-pick short-term data, why didn't you pick this? Surprise rise in retail sales

I don't set too much store by either of them.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    hmm

Osborne to miss deficit target as UK economy stalls and unemployment rises | Business | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Except that isn't Plan A - we are not paying it down at all. We are merely slowing the rate at which the debt will increase - to the point that 4-5 years from now, it will cease to get any worse - and that's if Plan A works.

We have no plan for actually paying the debt down.

That - is why we're all tulipped
    I think you've had a reality bypass. Plan A is to turn the deficit into a surplus over a period of time. There's no other way. What did you expect us to do - go and rob the bank of China and pay it off tomorrow?

It's the direction we're going in that matters. The markets tell you that. And the UK's ability to put such a policy into practice really pisses off Sarkhozy, Merkel and the rest stuck in the eurozone.
    Last edited by Doggy Styles; 16 November 2011, 20:35.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    As a householder, a 250K mortgage is OK while you are paying it down. Hence UK's Plan A to get to that position.
    Except that isn't Plan A - we are not paying it down at all. We are merely slowing the rate at which the debt will increase - to the point that 4-5 years from now, it will cease to get any worse - and that's if Plan A works.

We have no plan for actually paying the debt down.

That - is why we're all tulipped

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I think it's land prices that have shot up due to people willing to pay £100k for a small piece of land with planning permission that would otherwise be worth under 5k.
    Seriously check out the cost of brown field sites in around London if that's your thing, acres about costing next to nothing.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    The materials to build said house I'll bet never cost anywhere near £200k, unless you believe these stupid pre-2008 DIY house programmes.

I think it's land prices that have shot up due to people willing to pay £100k for a small piece of land with planning permission that would otherwise be worth under 5k.

Labour and materials probably haven't risen that dramatically, now the construction industry is in limbo they may even be falling.

Maybe the proposed changes to the planning system will make it easier and therefore cheaper to find plots of land with permission to build on. If it becomes cheaper to build than buy then ready built prices may come down accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Cost and price are not the same thing. The cost of materials to build said house are nearly always multiple reductions of the asking price.

Borrowing anything north of £100K to make said price IMO is

If a house costs £300K and you're gross income is ~£80k move on you cannot afford it, how people were tricked into believing they could has been one of the greatest swindles of the 20th century.
    You remind me of the "you dont wanna do it like that" know all character from harry Enfield

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    Weren't you pointing out the price of houses in Munich recently?
    Cost and price are not the same thing. The cost of materials to build said house are nearly always multiple reductions of the asking price.

Borrowing anything north of £100K to make said price IMO is

If a house costs £300K and you're gross income is ~£80k move on you cannot afford it, how people were tricked into believing they could has been one of the greatest swindles of the 20th century.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    WHS with bells on.

The materials to build said house I'll bet never cost anywhere near £200k, unless you believe these stupid pre-2008 DIY house programmes.
    Weren't you pointing out the price of houses in Munich recently?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Don't think it's particularly large if IIRC the current/recent average house price is around £200k (when including London ), yet the average wage is still barely above £20k.

I find it hard to comprehend how the gen pop are ok with houses costing so much, having doubled or trippled in the last 10 years, yet their wages are still much the same. They're effectively paying more for the same yet feel better off because they have all this equity on paper if they were to sell up, ignoring the cost of buying the next place.
    WHS with bells on.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I chose a large debt to make the point
    Don't think it's particularly large if IIRC the current/recent average house price is around £200k (when including London ), yet the average wage is still barely above £20k.

I find it hard to comprehend how the gen pop are ok with houses costing so much, having doubled or trippled in the last 10 years, yet their wages are still much the same. They're effectively paying more for the same yet feel better off because they have all this equity on paper if they were to sell up, ignoring the cost of buying the next place.

Still, while I have friends who spend every penny each month and have all the latest gadgets, tat and new cars I'd prefer to keep a large warchest and no debt while driving a banger.

It also helps keep the gold diggers away, I look like I'm skint.
    Last edited by PAH; 16 November 2011, 12:15.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    "Annual income twenty pounds, result misery."
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

Feck me no wonder we're down the tubes with the perception that this is an acceptable debt.
    Nope, never said that. I said it was OK as long as you are paying it down, which you edited out.

I chose a large debt to make the point.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X