• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Give me strength

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Give me strength"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I know what you are doing wrong...

WHY IN GODS NAME, ARE YOU RUNNING ORACLE ON WINDOWS????

You should have got the hint when Laza went and bought Sun and said he wanted to introduce a single stack for the enterprise...

Christ whats the point of buying an enterprise DB only to run it on a server full of mamory leaks (spelling intentional...)

Take your architect outside and pop a cap in his arse....
    Oracle runs fine on Windows server, with or without a VM. Try not to mix cold hard science with operating system bigotry.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Oh FFS. I was installing the ORACLE FRAKING CLIENT ON A FRAKIN XP MACHINE GEDDIT??? GEDDIT?? THE FRAKING SCHTOOPID DATABASE IS ON REDHAT YOU TWUNT. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

SuitYou I hope you dont get so impatient with your 15 dolla pensioner clients, it would give them a heart attack.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I'm going to invent a database called "St Mary's Butts".
    Suity still couldn't get a connection.

Boom tish.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I'm going to invent a database called "St Mary's Butts".

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Never heard of it. I only go to the Broad St Mall. It's got cheap parking.
    Butts Mall, surely?
    Last edited by TheFaQQer; 15 November 2011, 21:40.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    There's a shopping centre in Reading called The Oracle.

Customers used to end up there by mistake rather than heading to Thames Valley Park, because it was signposted off the IDR and the M4.

Never heard of it. I only go to the Broad St Mall. It's got cheap parking.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    It's best not to post any more on this topic Freamon old chap you are clearly well out of your depth.

Says the man who believes the problem cannot be with his tnsnames.ora as it "works fine on the server". Which is another machine, probably on another part of the network, and on a different OS.

And is also unable to locate "resolv.conf".

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    It's best not to post any more on this topic Freamon old chap you are clearly well out of your depth.

Says the guy who can't get an Oracle client to install

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Suity,

I'm still not sure why you need a TNS Names file to complete the installation. It's not explained in the thread, despite your comment in your most recent rep comment.

Perhaps you could explain.

Or does your comment mean that Oracle isn't using SOA suite for BPM?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Hint: "localhost" is usually not in DNS.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Suity : Hi, I'm having a problem installing this Oracle client. Yeah the tns entry is right, but the target machine can't resolve the host name.
    Techy : You need to map an M drive.

Suity : OK, can't see where you're going with this I'm afraid.
    Techy : All our tns files are on the m drive.

Suity : Ah right ok, sure. Trust me this tns file is pucker. Just copied from the server. It works. I can prove it working.
    Techy : Like I say you need to map the m drive.

Suity : Will this miraculously fix your dns problems?
    Techy : Pardon?

Suity : Just give me the ip address of your frakkin dns servers

Hint: "localhost" is usually not in DNS.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I thought that Oracle's BPM stuff these days was all around SOA Suite, which would use a Java connection so you don't have to mess about with TNS Names any more. Wouldn't get round a problem like (for example) not knowing what machine name corresponds to an IP address, but it would mean you don't need a TNS Names file any more, just the connection details.

Whatever you are installing, though, you don't need a TNS names file to complete the installation.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Yeah. Right on sister. Respect.

Pssst. Suity. I don't want to appear thick. But WTF is she talking about?
    There's a shopping centre in Reading called The Oracle.

Customers used to end up there by mistake rather than heading to Thames Valley Park, because it was signposted off the IDR and the M4.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Don't argue with the mentalist menapausalist nutter.
    I thought with the menopause you cry a lot and sweat a lot. Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. Get yourself down the doc for some HRT pronto.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Yeah. Right on sister. Respect.

Pssst. Suity. I don't want to appear thick. But WTF is she talking about?
    Don't argue with the mentalist menapausalist nutter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X