• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Grand Prix

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Grand Prix"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I could be better than all of them but left it too late.

Just got back from a 40 birthday Karting Grand Prix where I came ahem... 1st.

Mrs GJ wont let me display my hard fought trophy on the mantelpiece though.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Every car is set up for its individual driver on each particular track.

Vettel is a probably the best driver (at the moment), driving probably the best car (at the moment). Five years ago it was Alonso and ten years ago it was Schumacher.
    I think you missed the point. Obviously every car is "set up" for the driver and the track. But it is possible to design a car so that it suits a particular style of driving. It is often the case that a team will design their car to suit the driving style of their number one driver, thus leaving their number two (Webber in this case) with a car that, regardless of the set up, will never suit him quite so well as it does the other driver.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    And put adverts back in the races.
    Well of course, but that's still better than a Sky Sports subscription.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Or the car is designed to favour Vettel's driving style, perhaps?
    Possibly. Sir Jackie has said something along the lines that Webber was just intimdated by Vettel's fast start and has been over-driving the car to try an catch up.

I really think that the McLaren is faster overall. Lewis must wonder why he didn't have this car six months ago.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Every car is set up for its individual driver on each particular track.

Vettel is a probably the best driver (at the moment), driving probably the best car (at the moment). Five years ago it was Alonso and ten years ago it was Schumacher.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The only real way to judge how good Vettel is is how totally he has dominated Webber in qualifying AND races. It's not like We get Vettel/Webber 1/2 on the grid and at the flag... normally Webber seems to end 4th. Since Webber is regarded as at least pretty good, that tells you a lot... the RB car might not even be fastest now but Vettel is just crazy good.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Are we really comparing Alonso and Vettel by their abilities to drive like nobs in motorway traffic?

Of course, I forgot, this is CUK.
    Absolutely! Do try to keep up at the back . Unless you have recently purchsed a flat cap, of course....
    Thinking about it - it was you on the M6 that time wasn't it?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The only real way to judge how good Vettel is is how totally he has dominated Webber in qualifying AND races. It's not like We get Vettel/Webber 1/2 on the grid and at the flag... normally Webber seems to end 4th. Since Webber is regarded as at least pretty good, that tells you a lot... the RB car might not even be fastest now but Vettel is just crazy good.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Five would have been quite happy to take on the contract if the BBC were struggling to meet the budget balance.
    And put adverts back in the races.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Indeed. He'd be a fearsome white van man. (although not as bad as flat cap man, who can't stand to be overtaken by somebody travelling > 65mph)
    Are we really comparing Alonso and Vettel by their abilities to drive like nobs in motorway traffic?

Of course, I forgot, this is CUK.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    I think it'll be a 1-3 as Alonso is hard to get past (and fighting for second in the championship)

Don't get me started on the Sky thing. We should get some races on the BBC but they are not revealing which ones at the moment
    Apparently it will include the British, Monaco & final race. Although I think Monaco is heavily overrated.

The annoying thing is that it does feel a bit of a stitch-up on the part of the BBC. Five would have been quite happy to take on the contract if the BBC were struggling to meet the budget balance.

For the vast majority of the F1 viewing public, this would have been far preferable to only being able to see 10 races.

Leave a comment:

• NervousRexx
    replied
    Indeed. He'd be a fearsome white van man. (although not as bad as flat cap man, who can't stand to be overtaken by somebody travelling > 65mph)

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by NervousRexx View Post
    Maybe. Vettel is much improved but when on the motorway the last person I'd want behind me would be Alonso.

Leave a comment:

• NervousRexx
    replied
    Sunday lunch in the pub. F1

I think you might be selling Vettel a bit short - he has improved a lot. I still reckon Alonso would win most of the time though, as he is utterly ruthless. Having said that the toys were flying out of the pram when Lewis was beating him.
    Maybe. Vettel is much improved but when on the motorway the last person I'd want behind me would be Alonso.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by NervousRexx View Post
    Just means a few more Sunday lunches down the pub next year.
    Agree - if Alonso had the Red Bull car, he'd be further clear than Vettel on points.
    Sunday lunch in the pub. F1

I think you might be selling Vettel a bit short - he has improved a lot. I still reckon Alonso would win most of the time though, as he is utterly ruthless. Having said that the toys were flying out of the pram when Lewis was beating him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X