• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: yum

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "yum"

Collapse

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Our Kaufhof has **** all but Karstadt has quite a few items such as Marmite, Hob Nobs, Digestives, Cheddar Cheese, crisps, all the Sharwood stuff (on special offer in Penny Markt as well), more stuff and a whole range of septic food goods.
    Yes, you have to shop around. Edeka sells heinz beans and mint sauce. They also do regular "specials" on McVities biccies. I was surprised to find Singletons cheddar and a Wenslydale with Cranberries in Kaufland.

No Kaufhof or Karstadt here.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    <yaaawwwwwn and stretch>

right then, 10:44 local time, just about ready for a strong hour and half's work before I go food shopping in town ready for dinner tonight

tv off.. check

music on.. check

laptop on.. check

new Samsung Syncmaster monitors up and running.. ooh nice, check

and we're off..

<chef logs off CUK>
    Meanwhile Bob has just finished his 15 hour stint in the IT sweatshop for $7 an hour and is now ringing round all the blue chips drumming up business.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Also, failing that you can get almost anything from a decent Kaufhof Galleria supermarket, contractor prices though.. and to save you a trip, they don't sell Tamarind, just in case you were hoping to find some
    Our Kaufhof has **** all but Karstadt has quite a few items such as Marmite, Hob Nobs, Digestives, Cheddar Cheese, crisps, all the Sharwood stuff (on special offer in Penny Markt as well), more stuff and a whole range of septic food goods.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    They were stored in a coolbox and we drove. It's 4hrs drive from Calais, we were visiting family on the south coast of England.

Are they excluded? they're suasages not bombs but just to prove my point, conditions of carraige for Eurotunnel
    Sorry, figured you flew. They're not keen on you getting your sausages out on the plane, except for RyanAir.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    Quick tip for ex pats in Germany.
    You can get a lot of UK stuff from "Asian" supermarkets.
    They very often have T-bags, porridge oats and colmans mustard. Mine also sells Pataks sauces and even Sharwoods mango chutney.
    Also, failing that you can get almost anything from a decent Kaufhof Galleria supermarket, contractor prices though.. and to save you a trip, they don't sell Tamarind, just in case you were hoping to find some

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You carried sausages in your luggage?! Don't they get a bit rank - and is that even allowed?
    They were stored in a coolbox and we drove. It's 4hrs drive from Calais, we were visiting family on the south coast of England.

Are they excluded? they're suasages not bombs but just to prove my point, conditions of carraige for Eurotunnel

7. Goods Excluded

7.1 Dangerous Goods will only be accepted for carriage in accordance with the provisions of Article 8.

7.2 Subject to these provisions, Passengers shall not carry hazardous Goods such as loaded firearms or explosives, toxic, radioactive or infectious Goods, or flammable Goods or any other Goods or items which by their nature or by their method of carriage is in Eurotunnel’s sole opinion liable to endanger the safety of Shuttle Operations.

7.3 Save as set out in Annex A no livestock, animals or domestic pets will be accepted for carriage.

7.4 In the event of loss or damage resulting from a Passenger's failure to comply with Article 7.2 or 7.3 or Annex A, the Passenger agrees to indemnify Eurotunnel against any loss or damage incurred by Eurotunnel or which it may incur to any third party. Eurotunnel will not be liable to such a Passenger or to any third party for property damage and will not be liable for failing to detect a Passenger's failure to comply with Article 7.2 or 7.3 or Annex A or to prevent such loss or damage save to the extent of Eurotunnel's wilful neglect or misconduct.
    no sausages mentioned..

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    Sharwoods mango chutney.
    Geeta's is much better, also the lime pickle is excellent. Both available in Rewe IIRC.

I taught myself to cook most of my favourite Chinese takeaway dishes while I was out there as the local takeaway was rubbish. It's saved me a fortune now I'm back in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    pretty close darmstadt

I was back in the Uk last weekend and stocked up on some fine Lincolnshire and Cumberland sausages
    You carried sausages in your luggage?! Don't they get a bit rank - and is that even allowed?

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Quick tip for ex pats in Germany.
    You can get a lot of UK stuff from "Asian" supermarkets.
    They very often have T-bags, porridge oats and colmans mustard. Mine also sells Pataks sauces and even Sharwoods mango chutney.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    If Chef is still in Germany where is he getting all these tasty wholesome ingredients? And does he live on a German farm?
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Well there are a few English shops around Germany where you can get these things and if he's still in Köln there is a reasonably good one. I have most of the above in my freezer from the last visit to the UK and the rest can be locally sourced...
    pretty close darmstadt

I was back in the Uk last weekend and stocked up on some fine Lincolnshire and Cumberland sausages and the bacon along with 720 Yorkshire teabags
    the homemade beans are basically Haricot beans in a slightly spicy tomato sauce,
    the ketchup was homemade late this summer from a batch of my tomatoes,
    eggs and milk were bought from a farm shop nearby gf chefs work (along with yesterdays duck, some rabbit and veal)
    fresh bread was bought from the bakery this morning (the germans love their bread)
    bubble & squeak came from the leftovers of last nights duck legs with potatoes and cabbage with red wine gravy
    the OJ came from Oranges through a juicer

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    If Chef is still in Germany where is he getting all these tasty wholesome ingredients? And does he live on a German farm?
    Well there are a few English shops around Germany where you can get these things and if he's still in Köln there is a reasonably good one. I have most of the above in my freezer from the last visit to the UK and the rest can be locally sourced...

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Breakfast of Champions

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    2 lincolnshire sausages
    2 rashers thick cut oak smoked bacon
    2 large free range eggs
    portion homemade beans
    portion bubble & squeak
    toast
    freshmade thick crust bread (for mopping up the juices)

mug of yorkshire tea with milk fresh from the farm
    glass of freshly squeezed OJ

working from home has it's benefits
    Homemade beans - WTF??

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I am working from home today. Well, I will be soon, at the moment I'm skiving.

Scrabble?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X