• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Teresa May resigns

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Teresa May resigns"

Collapse

• TinTrump
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It seems likely that this is a case of misinterpretation with Clark being asked "did you authorise X" and saying "yes" (because it was in fact an approved procedure that has been in place since 2008/2009) and it being interpreted as "yes we authorised X which was something we just made up that wasn't approved by Theresa May".
    That's the case I heard put forward on R4 this morning and sounds feasible. For it to lead to this state of affairs is somewhat depressing i.e. a misunderstanding rapidly getting out of control.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    She would be taking a huge risk if it had not been, with little to gain if her facts are wrong.
    Well, she got away with it about the cat story, so why not this one as well?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy
    Chief executive of the UK Borders Agency Rob Whiteman said he had suspended Mr Clark after he had admitted last week to authorising staff to go further than ministerial instruction, on a number of occasions.
    It seems likely that this is a case of misinterpretation with Clark being asked "did you authorise X" and saying "yes" (because it was in fact an approved procedure that has been in place since 2008/2009) and it being interpreted as "yes we authorised X which was something we just made up that wasn't approved by Theresa May". The problem here is that May comes across as having no idea what standard procedure actually was.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    As a senior Civil Servant he will be silenced by a number of factors not the least of which will be the Official Secrets Act. She has Parliamentary privilege to hide behind.
    Chief executive of the UK Borders Agency Rob Whiteman said he had suspended Mr Clark after he had admitted last week to authorising staff to go further than ministerial instruction, on a number of occasions."In my opinion it was right for officials to have recommended the pilot so that we focus attention on higher risks to our border, but it is unacceptable that one of my senior officials went further than was approved," he added.
    Probably for the best if they both chuck it, May and Clark. Donkeys led by donkeys if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    I am sure you are correct. However, if after 40 years of service he has no inkling just how to get his point forcefully across without breaching guidelines, that would be very surprising.

And besides, if he were to do that he may have to continue working a few more years before receiving his gold-plated pension. No, this way he gets everything given to him early on a nice silver platter courtesy of Theresa. Or at least that is probably what his Union adviser has told him.
    As a senior Civil Servant he will be silenced by a number of factors not the least of which will be the Official Secrets Act. She has Parliamentary privilege to hide behind.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I suspect that releasing an official paper trail to the papers rather than via the proper channels would count as gross misconduct.
    I am sure you are correct. However, if after 40 years of service he has no inkling just how to get his point forcefully across without breaching guidelines, that would be very surprising.

He can't "fiercely defend" his position because it's been taken away from him without him being given the opportunity to do so.
    And besides, if he were to do that he may have to continue working a few more years before receiving his gold-plated pension. No, this way he gets everything given to him early on a nice silver platter courtesy of Theresa. Or at least that is probably what his Union adviser has told him.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Perhaps the problem originates a bit higher up than Therasa May. The public face of the government being that of wish to control immigration while the real face is to let any begger in in unlimited and uncounted quantities.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I'll be disappointed if she doesn't resign, I thought we'd got rid of new labour's mismanagement of our borders.

But I suppose this dispute has to run its course first, ho hum.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    It's a brave minister who destroys the career of a top civil servant without bothering to hear his side of the story first. She has misjudged this quite badly I think.
    WHS

She should resign now, she now looks like a coward who sacrifices her underlings to save her own arse.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It's a brave minister who destroys the career of a top civil servant without bothering to hear his side of the story first. She has misjudged this quite badly I think.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    On radio 5 live right now in parliament, not getting an easy ride.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Compact Law - Constructive Dismissal

Occurs where the employee leaves their job due to the employer's behaviour. For example, the employer has made the employee's life very difficult and the employee feels that they cannot remain in their job. When this happens the employee's resignation is treated as an actual dismissal by the employer, so the employee can claim Unfair Dismissal.

Examples of Constructive Dismissal can include:

1. Not supporting managers in difficult work situations.

2. Harassing or humiliating staff, particularly in front of other less senior staff.

3. Victimising or targeting particular members of staff.

4. Changing the employee's job content or terms without consultation.

5. Making a significant change in the employee's job location at short notice.

6. Falsely accusing an employee of misconduct such as theft or of being incapable of carrying out their job.

7. Excessive demotion or disciplining of employees.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    And how do you KNOW that no formal evaluation has taken place?
    She would be taking a huge risk if it had not been, with little to gain if her facts are wrong.
    Originally posted by Mr Clark
    In his statement released on Tuesday, former UK Border Force chief Mr Clark said: "Those statements are wrong and were made without the benefit of hearing my response to formal allegations," he said.

"The home secretary suggests that I added additional measures, improperly, to the trial of our risk-based controls. I did not. Those measures have been in place since 2008/09.

"The home secretary also implies that I relaxed the controls in favour of queue management. I did not.

"Despite pressure to reduce queues, including from ministers, I can never be accused of compromising security for convenience.

"This summer saw queues of over three hours (non EU) on a regular basis at Heathrow and I never once contemplated cutting our essential controls to ease the flow."

He said he was saddened his career should end in this way after 40 years of "dedicated service", and regretted Mrs May had "disregarded my right to reply" in favour of political convenience.
    Although Mr Clark has left the Civil Service, technically he has not resigned, said Jonathan Baume from the First Division Association, the trade union which represents senior civil servants

He said Mr Clark had been willing to answer the issues raised internally.

"But instead he was suspended and the home secretary has spent two days basically traducing him and damning him without ever giving the civil servant the opportunity to present their case."
    Originally posted by Shaunboy
    If he has cast-iron proof that he is innocent of all wrongdoing, and that she IS lying, then unveiling this would ensure her instant removal.
    He could then quite happily get on with working with her replacement, safe in the knowledge that they will be aware he does not take prisoners.
    Why has he chosen not to do so?
    I suspect that releasing an official paper trail to the papers rather than via the proper channels would count as gross misconduct. Unfortunately he's not had the chance to respond via the proper channels but he is in parliament next week so we should see what happens then.

Originally posted by Shaunboy
    All in your opinion of course. But you have no idea just what investigation has already taken place. If I were in his position, and were certain that I had done nothing wrong, I would be fiercely defending my position, and riding the storm out, well aware that Politicians come and go.
    He has chosen to meekly walk away without doing so. All smells a bit fishy to me.
    He can't "fiercely defend" his position because it's been taken away from him without him being given the opportunity to do so. Clearly this point is whizzing over your head like a pigeon with a firework up it's arse.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    No, I'm seriously suggesting that Mrs May has pointed the finger straight at him in parliament before a formal evaluation of the facts has taken place, thus rendering his position impossible.

And how do you KNOW that no formal evaluation has taken place?

The papers have beaten a path to his door, he's now subject to trial by media and required to defend himself in the papers, it seems he barely stops short of calling the home secretary a liar, so it's hard to see how you can seriously expect him to remain in his job and work with her after that.
    If he has cast-iron proof that he is innocent of all wrongdoing, and that she IS lying, then unveiling this would ensure her instant removal.
    He could then quite happily get on with working with her replacement, safe in the knowledge that they will be aware he does not take prisoners.
    Why has he chosen not to do so?

He's not immune from criticism but that criticism ought to be based on fact and he ought to have the right to state his case in private before blame is apportioned in the public eye. He hasn't been rightly condemned, he's been hung out to dry without a trial.
    All in your opinion of course. But you have no idea just what investigation has already taken place. If I were in his position, and were certain that I had done nothing wrong, I would be fiercely defending my position, and riding the storm out, well aware that Politicians come and go.
    He has chosen to meekly walk away without doing so. All smells a bit fishy to me.

I think you need to take your anti public servant blinkers off for a bit.
    I shall do so the moment I believe that Public Officials deserve such consideration. Until then it is open season as far as I am concerned.
    Nail 'em up I say!!!

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Full backing

Apparently she has the full backing of David Cameron.

So she's toast then.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X