• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: How big is your..

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How big is your.."

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I seem to recall that we spent most of the 80s trying to get shot of shiny screens on CRT monitors.
    True. I remember having to attach anti-glare shields to the old monitors before anti-glare film was available.

I suppose it allows them to sell glossy to home users who are going to want to watch movies on their laptop and PC instead of a whacking great plasma or LCD TV.

Then charge a premium for their 'business' models with anti-glare.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    A pair of 27 inch mac thunderbolt displays
    A fool and their money...

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    Ich bin in Deutschland gearbeitet schone tzen yar!

*apologies for my tulip german.
    German is easy. Just speak English slowly and loudly with a herr flick accent.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post

You'll be needing those sunglasses with all the glare from those displays.

I prefer Dell with the anti-glare coating.

I really really really hate the modern trend of having glossy displays on monitors and laptops. Are these companies run by opticians looking to sell more glasses, or just cretins?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Unemployed.
    Ich bin in Deutschland gearbeitet schone tzen yar!

*apologies for my tulip german.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I do not fall under the scrutiny of Hector.
    Unemployed.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    I have a 22" HP monitor that is almost always used in portrait mode. Portrait mode is better for most things I do, in particular it is better for web pages and web applications and Quicken. If I want to watch video, the monitor can rotate to landscape mode and (with Windows 7) the desktop adjusts automatically in real-time, but I hardly ever do this as I have a large plasma downstairs for that sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I've got one that looks out through the office window.
    My home office isn't big enough for keeping a dish warm, maybe I need one of those garden shed offices.

I initially thought of putting the dish in the loft and swapping a roof tile out for a perspex one, but it would just be easier to attach the dish to an external wall like everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
    honestly hector, it's for business use only...
    I do not fall under the scrutiny of Hector.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Get a freesat card for the PC.
    Not enough room for the satellite dish on my desk.

I suppose the beeb will be streaming the olympics live on iPlayer?

If so I just need to make sure iPlayer doesn't eat through all my bandwidth, though it'll be a conundrum between saving bandwidth or watching the womens sports in high quality. I'd better start deliberating that now, less than 9 months to go.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Currently 'struggling by' with 1 x 24" (1920x1200) after it's sibling died recently.

Been tempted to go for a Hazro 27" (2560x1400) for around £300+ vat (i.e. a lot cheaper than the equivalent Dell 27" but with fewer inputs and less adjustable stand), but need a new gfx card to handle that resolution.

Hoping the 30" ones offering 2560x1600 come down in price soon as currently they're way overpriced for those 200 extra vertical pixels.

Also considering getting a monitor/TV combo instead, so I can watch the olympics next year while working from home.
    Get a freesat card for the PC.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Currently 'struggling by' with 1 x 24" (1920x1200) after it's sibling died recently.

Been tempted to go for a Hazro 27" (2560x1400) for around £300+ vat (i.e. a lot cheaper than the equivalent Dell 27" but with fewer inputs and less adjustable stand), but need a new gfx card to handle that resolution.

Hoping the 30" ones offering 2560x1600 come down in price soon as currently they're way overpriced for those 200 extra vertical pixels.

Also considering getting a monitor/TV combo instead, so I can watch the olympics next year while working from home.

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    replied
    My PC screen is my 32" HD TV.
    honestly hector, it's for business use only...

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    I have a main 30” Dell & a secondary 19” Acer: it’s a nice set up,

BGG Has the above & then a 19” touch screen on his other (no idea what it’s for) PC & a 22” widescreen on his music writing PC: all his study is missing is a white cat for that “world domination” look

Leave a comment:

Working...
X