• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Numpties, dead wood, column dodgers etc"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Just remember what I said in my last post; you need to gain and keep the trust of the ultimate acceptant of the software; you do that with interpersonal skills; defending yourself with 'cover-my-ass lists' and powerful arguments won't achieve that; the lists of delivered products should back up that trust, not the other way around. It'd be interesting to research how many projects have failed to deliver due to socially inept project managers.
    I agree. Most project managers are no more than glorified organizers/secretaries. To properly run and deliver a project you need to be fully engaged with the business and with your own teams. Interpersonal skills are key. The CYA or non-comittal brigade kill projects and non-delivery/descoping/failure etc stems from that. I think the lead BA is better placed at dealing with the stakeholders than the PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Back in at clientco on Monday on another 3 monther. Had a chat yesterday to see what I was working on and they've given me Project Poison Chalice. A project based out of Canada due to complete May 2012. Clientco have agreed to do a piece of work that a previous outsourcer spent £1M on, failed to deliver and got kicked off the contract. Clientco have won it for £400k and stuck me down as lead. I knew I shouldn't have gone to the initial design meetings.
    Just remember what I said in my last post; you need to gain and keep the trust of the ultimate acceptant of the software; you do that with interpersonal skills; defending yourself with 'cover-my-ass lists' and powerful arguments won't achieve that; the lists of delivered products should back up that trust, not the other way around. It'd be interesting to research how many projects have failed to deliver due to socially inept project managers.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Back in at clientco on Monday on another 3 monther. Had a chat yesterday to see what I was working on and they've given me Project Poison Chalice. A project based out of Canada due to complete May 2012. Clientco have agreed to do a piece of work that a previous outsourcer spent £1M on, failed to deliver and got kicked off the contract. Clientco have won it for £400k and stuck me down as lead. I knew I shouldn't have gone to the initial design meetings.
    They're obviously looking for someone to add some gravity to the project.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    There aren't really any numpties on this project, in fact I've rarely worked with so many thoroughly competent technical and business people; the big problem is Project Managers and Line Managers with the social skills of dogpoo and the emotional stability of a long stay patient at Broadmoor Hospital, who fail to understand that gaining the trust of (and the signature of) acceptants is not simply about showing lists of deliverables and what you've delivered, but about inspiring in your acceptant or customer a feeling of trust; that cannot be achieved with excel sheets, and certainly not by flying off the handle every day, but only with good social skills combined with understanding the acceptant's business and demonstrating some empathy with the people who will be using the software.

I actually don't mind too much; I'm fairly experienced in dealing with unstable personalities, regularly gain advice in such matters from Lady Tester, who is trained and highly experienced as a psychiatric nurse, and I usually get hired because a project is in trouble. It can however get a bit tiring when alongside being responsible for my own temperament and emotions, I have to manage three other people's temperaments for them, including a board member of a blue chip company, who really should know better.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 3 November 2011, 10:08.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    No It Isn't!
    It was until someone deleted a post.

You're not quite in the BrilloPad league, yet, though.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    PALI!

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    But have you been in the situation when you are just working with a bunch of oxygen thieves on a project?
    Not directly, but there's one at the same client right now in fact: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...t-get-rid.html

Did the column dodger get tulip canned?
    Nope, he refuses to leave, despite several subtle and not so subtle attempts by the consultancy to get him to walk.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Why is it my job to manage the project?
    There's your job, and your 'job'. The latter is what you do to make sure you don't end up with the blame and the boot.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Under the definition used when I was a schoolchild and found such trivialities amusing.
    Either they taught it wrong, or you remember it wrong then!

Here's the first 19999 numerical palindromes - starting with 0 and ending with 99999999

You could also check A Handbook of Integer Sequences (N. J. A. Sloane) and The Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences (N. J. A. Sloane and Simon Plouffe) if you really want to show how wrong you are.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Under what definition?

The ones here, here and here suggests that a two digit number is palindromic.

(To be truly pedantic, a single digit number is also palindromic)
    Under the definition used when I was a schoolchild and found such trivialities amusing.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Double digits don't count.

323 <- Yes
    33 <- Not on your Aunt Nelly
    3213 <- Yes
    Under what definition?

The ones here, here and here suggests that a two digit number is palindromic.

(To be truly pedantic, a single digit number is also palindromic)

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Back on subject.

Be careful what you point out to people as the old adage, he who smelt it dealt it, is going to be bang on the money when they point the finger at you.

Phewwwwww.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Why not?
    Double digits don't count.

323 <- Yes
    33 <- Not on your Aunt Nelly
    3213 <- Yes

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer