• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Thatcher - benefits scrounger"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    You can always rely on a Thatcher thread to bring out the Toryboy bleaters on here regurgitating their parents politics.

If anyone is more responsible for the tulip that we're in now it is that old witch for encouraging a selfish, money obsessed, I'm all right Jack society and business climate. True, New Labour sucked up to it as a way of grasping power but she started the whole thing off.
    How dare you, do you not realise it's All Saints Day tomorrow?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    As a retort to my post it doesn't really make any sense.
    He's just upset because he's the same age.

Odd as there are some young people well versed in history and random subject.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    You can always rely on a Thatcher thread to bring out the Toryboy bleaters on here regurgitating their parents politics.

If anyone is more responsible for the tulip that we're in now it is that old witch for encouraging a selfish, money obsessed, I'm all right Jack society and business climate. True, New Labour sucked up to it as a way of grasping power but she started the whole thing off.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You'd better let all the historians in on this revelation.
    As a retort to my post it doesn't really make any sense.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    That would mean you weren't born when Thatcher was elected. Leave the argument to the grown ups.
    You'd better let all the historians in on this revelation.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    That would mean nobody could argue about anything that happened before they were born, which is obviously daft.
    If you read what he wrote you can see it's half cobbled together rubbish. He has obviously not read up on the political and economic history. It's little more than half baked dogma rather than fact.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    That would mean you weren't born when Thatcher was elected. Leave the argument to the grown ups.
    That would mean nobody could argue about anything that happened before they were born, which is obviously daft.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    Hear hear!

It amuses me how on many forums, columns, etc, people blame the conservatives and thatcher for ills, such as power outages caused by striking.

Those people are retarded. Striking and power outages were happening in 1970, well before the conservatives took the helm. Yes, it is a shame everything got privatised, but there wasnt really any other viable option as labour had failed over multiple times in government to rectify the issue and instead let it escalate.

As dodgyagent said, she kickstarted the private sector and enabled banks to make us richer than ever before. Without her, none of us would have the prosperity (work) we all enjoy or at least enjoy the money we get from it. She worked harder than any other PM and stood up to terrorists hell bent on destroying businesses and maming citizens.

The same problem is happening nowadays. In the press and in public forums, there are numerous people convinced the current conservatives caused the economic collapse and refuse to acknowledge labour's reign of terror under the mentally ill, foreign piece of filth aptly named Brown.
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    I am in my late twenties now.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Thanks for your brilliant insight.
    Any time

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    You said

I pointed out that 140 is not, in fact, less than 103. 140 is a bigger number than 103. It is not smaller. There is a difference between the two numbers - 140 is the LARGER number than 103, which is SMALLER.

Is that clear enough to explain why you are wrong to say that "the UK pays more into the EU than France"? The reason it's wrong to say that is, simply, because it is not right

You then changed tack slightly, and said

which is a different argument altogether. Perhaps what your original post should have said was "How come the UK (although we pay in less than France) ends up taking out less money than France, so we have a worse net benefit than a country with a larger GDP than ours?"

You also suggest that . None of the figures in the table support that statement:

Money in: Germany (UK fourth)
    Worst net benefit: Germany (UK second)
    Ratio of money out/in: Netherlands (UK second)
    Net benefit per capita: Netherlands (UK sixth)
    Thanks for your brilliant insight.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    You said

I pointed out that 140 is not, in fact, less than 103. 140 is a bigger number than 103. It is not smaller. There is a difference between the two numbers - 140 is the LARGER number than 103, which is SMALLER.

Is that clear enough to explain why you are wrong to say that "the pays more into the EU than France"? The reason it's wrong to say that is, simply, because it is not right

which is a different argument altogether. Perhaps what your original post should have said was "How come the UK (although we pay in less than France) ends up taking out less money than France, so we have a worse net benefit than a country with a larger GDP than ours?"

You also suggest that . None of the figures in the table support that statement:

And I'm a dutchman

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    In what way wrong?
    You said
    How come the UK pays more into the EU than France, when France's GDP is higher than the UK's?

Is that clear enough to explain why you are wrong to say that "the UK pays more into the EU than France"? The reason it's wrong to say that is, simply, because it is not right

Argue if you will that net contribution is not a great metric, but I hardly think payments excepting returns is a good one.

You also suggest that
    Always seems like the UK gets shafted the most.
    . None of the figures in the table support that statement:

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I sorted by 'net benefit (billions)'

Top 4 losers:
    Germany −86
    United Kingdom −57
    France −51
    Italy −46
    On these figures I agree that the UK is a higher NET contributor than everyone bar Germany.

But as the EU accounts weren't kept properly and weren't signed off for 15 years, gawd knows where all that money went.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I'm not arguing that it's not a good metric, but your statement that we pay in more than France is completely wrong.
    In what way wrong? I already explained how it is right, given the metric used.

In reply you suggest that non-net contributions was the true metric. You're boring me now.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    The negative sign means a net loss. Germany's, having a larger negative number in that table, does not mean their net payment is less than the UK's, it means it's greater. Argue if you will that net contribution is not a great metric, but I hardly think payments excepting returns is a good one.
    I'm not arguing that it's not a good metric, but your statement that we pay in more than France is completely wrong.

A better metric, I think, would be net benefit per capita, but that doesn't fit the argument that it "seems like the UK gets shafted the most" quite as neatly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X