• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: I feel dirty

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I feel dirty"

Collapse

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    As a tester, is that not a given
    Oi!

Leave a comment:

• keninparis
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I think I am now an office bastard.

Clientco's e-commerce director calls me upstairs for a 'quick chat'. So up I go to the top floor, sit down and he does the small talk. Then he comes to the point; 'the budget is running out quickly and <Contractorname>'s contract runs out at the end of this month. I want to keep you on for testing until the end of the year but I need budget to do it. Do you need him for your test team?' I thought for a moment and then said 'no, he's very knowledgeable but his knowledge can be transferred to the new permie guy'.

My contract runs 'till end of november with verbal extension 'till end of december.

Am I a complete tuliphead or is this just the harsh reality of 'bizziniss'?
    Verbal extentions no good. Best to get the contract (and don't sign it). Cli. Co. takes the ****, contractor takes the ****

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    but don't expect to do any serious engineering
    As a tester, is that not a given

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Clientco's e-commerce director calls me upstairs for a 'quick chat'. So up I go to the top floor, sit down and he does the small talk. Then he comes to the point; 'the budget is running out quickly and <Contractorname>'s contract runs out at the end of this month. I want to keep you on for testing until the end of the year but I need budget to do it. Do you need him for your test team?' I thought for a moment and then said 'no, he's very knowledgeable but his knowledge can be transferred to the new permie guy'.

My contract runs 'till end of november with verbal extension 'till end of december.

Am I a complete tuliphead or is this just the harsh reality of 'bizziniss'?
    Sounds like a tuliphole if they are playing off the contractors against each other. Wonder what others are being asked to say about you?

You don't have to feel dirty but don't expect to do any serious engineering either in a paranoid environment like that.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    What a bastard the OP is.

I'd always take the hit over stitching someone else up.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Twenty odd years ago I was a technical manager at an OEM. I received a 20% pay rise but I was told to keep costs down. I did a performance review for all of the teckie guys and I told the them that times are hard and there is no money in the pot for a pay review. We are all in it together blab bla bla.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    "No if's, no buts, no arguing the toss!"

"Why didn't you tell me it was going to cause a problem?"

I love muppet managers. Most of the time they're too busy chasing their tail to pester you. Other times MF decks them.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    a certain phone reseller
    It wouldn't be a certain empire set up by John Caudwell would it?

Midway through my contracting life I was tempted to go permie and had applied for a role at the office just off the M6. After the second interview and them still faffing about wanting me to go back and meet other bods I threw in the towel and decided it wasn't for me.

Applied for a contract instead, did a brief telephone interview, and started the following monday.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    The Development Manager of a company I once worked for waltzed into a meeting and demanded that we give him the names of 2 contractors by the end of the day that he could terminate. "No if's, no buts, no arguing the toss!"

We gave him the names. He terminated their contracts. Days later when he noticed that we'd re-jigged our delivery schedule he asked "why?". We told him that we'd lost some resource so had to redo the project plan.

His response of "Why didn't you tell me it was going to cause a problem?" didn't go down too well...
    Last edited by Churchill; 26 October 2011, 14:00.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    I am still haunted by having to bounce a new chap out the door of a certain phone reseller when I was perm manager. Chap had given up another job to go there and had been there 2 months when my boss (nickname - MadDog) told me to bin him. Week after I did this, someone else on the team bailed leaving us short....
    I should have said no, or bailed myself.
    Was slightly gratified to bump into said chap somewhere else, who was by now contracting and doing good but I still regret what I did.
    With a contractor, it would have been a lot easier, it's the nature of things.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Sounds terrible, of course you'll be drowning your sorrows with the help of the wine list.
    Well not the list, but the stuff that comes out of the bottles listed on it, yes.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Yep, awful. I might be forced to celebrate at Lambermons tomorrow evening.
    Sounds terrible, of course you'll be drowning your sorrows with the help of the wine list.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    tulip happens, you have to look out for number 1
    Yep, awful. I might be forced to celebrate at Lambermons tomorrow evening.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    tulip happens, you have to look out for number 1

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    It's survival of the fittest.

I currently have a good record* of being the last contractor to be kicked out of the door when the inevitable cull comes along. I have no sleep problems.

* i.e. For the last 3 out of 4 contracts. Probably means I'm either very good or very cheap. Probably the latter, but it pays better than being on the bench.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X