• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I'm taking a meeting"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by keninparis View Post
    As mentioned earlier, can't comment on this one
    Then STFU

Leave a comment:

• keninparis
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Don't feel bad, not everyone gets it at first.

Why not have another drink and forget about it.
    As mentioned earlier, can't comment on this one as need clarification on the issue. Maybe it's one of those 'requirement gathering' problems?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by keninparis View Post
    As mentioned earlier, can't comment on this one as need clarification on the issue. Maybe it's one of those 'requirement gathering' problems?
    Don't feel bad, not everyone gets it at first.

Why not have another drink and forget about it.

Leave a comment:

• keninparis
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    A question for you few who have done this, the rest I know will chip in.

Ok meeting this week with potential new (direct) client, moving up the food chain.

Some help required on the checklist.

Checklist

Suit ok
    Business card Fail

What else do I need to sort out?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    i tend to go one step more and once i've digested their website check out their competitors. you're looking for financial data, news, strategy - things to help you understand in advance what problems they have and what the questions they will ask actually mean to them. I never bring notes or scraps of paper but will bring my laptop if they need to see examples or demos or whatever. only bring it out if it seems necessary. a small notebook and pen is useful sometimes or can make you look like an inspector, or an idiot... depends on the type of meeting it is, what is being said and whether it needs to be recorded. if it turns out you need to take notes make sure you can access it quickly. otherwise eyes and contact and expression and understanding and asking good questions is far more important. good luck!
    Nice to know I'm not the only sad ****er.

BTW A notepad and pen is good for drawing diagrams if you need to elaborate on something.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    As you're taking it up a notch, don't forget the chocolate hob-knobs for your trolley.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    i tend to go one step more and once i've digested their website check out their competitors. you're looking for financial data, news, strategy - things to help you understand in advance what problems they have and what the questions they will ask actually mean to them. I never bring notes or scraps of paper but will bring my laptop if they need to see examples or demos or whatever. only bring it out if it seems necessary. a small notebook and pen is useful sometimes or can make you look like an inspector, or an idiot... depends on the type of meeting it is, what is being said and whether it needs to be recorded. if it turns out you need to take notes make sure you can access it quickly. otherwise eyes and contact and expression and understanding and asking good questions is far more important. good luck!

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Good tip, haven't even looked at clients website

It's one of the first things I do. Tells you a lot about the company, including how crap an organisation they may be.

i.e. if the website is muddled, poor, or full of typical BS then chances are the people will be too.

Depends on the size of the company. You may get lucky and be working with a good team while the rest are a shambles.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Dodgy Agent hacked your account again SC?
    he was asking about my birthday... i had assumed he wanted to make sure he got the parcel in the post in time

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Post a link to it here, we can help compile your revision list
    Dodgy Agent hacked your account again SC?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Post a link to it here, we can help compile your revision list

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Depends how good one's memory is. I tend to memorise any important aspects or info gleaned from the client's website etc.

Also easier to recall from memory than search through notes.

If my memory was tulipe I may take some notes to prove I knew what I couldn't remember.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    If I offer them the gig, they should be reading up on stuff before they start.
    Depends how good one's memory is. I tend to memorise any important aspects or info gleaned from the client's website etc.

Also easier to recall from memory than search through notes.

If my memory was tulipe I may take some notes to prove I knew what I couldn't remember.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I've never taken anything into interview, concentrate on what you're saying, they should already have your CV infront of them.
    Yeah I think I can say "me too". Certainly for interviews. Being able to recall my CV and elaborate from memory probably makes them believe I'm telling the truth.

I never bother with business cards if it's through an agency as the client has all the contact details they need from my CV or agent.

If it's more a meeting than an interview then a notepad and pen is all I take.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Not sure about this, I think it always looks a bit poor when the interviewee doesn't even take a few notes. If I offer them the gig, they should be reading up on stuff before they start.
    Would depend on the type of role. I've not had a single contract which has required me to read up on anything before hand.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X