• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New laptop, Dell XPS 15z?"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    so what are you thinking of getting? the Dell M4600?
    its by far the most likely candidate!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I think the main reason you don't see Blu-ray on many laptops is that the benefit is pretty negligible on small screens. It's just not worth the extra cost (and possibly size and weight) for most people. I had one on my Dell XPS M1530 a few years ago but when that gave up I wasn't too bothered about having it on my new laptop.
    I agree on laptops the benefit is negligible but with HDMI out and living in hotels weekdays it makes life better

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I am planning to upgrade though as for me having an extra couple of cores plus a wedge of extra ram and a third hard disk does make sense for running VM's and SQL Server processes.
    so what are you thinking of getting? the Dell M4600?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I think the main reason you don't see Blu-ray on many laptops is that the benefit is pretty negligible on small screens. It's just not worth the extra cost (and possibly size and weight) for most people. I had one on my Dell XPS M1530 a few years ago but when that gave up I wasn't too bothered about having it on my new laptop.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I can't help feeling all this multi-core stuff is a bit of a scam. It's really not that beneficial for the typical task that the typical user does, yet many people are still on the old upgrade every couple of years treadmill convinced that multiple cores represents a significant upgrade. Especially when you consider the ability of modern processors to overclock a single core and boost performance of a single-threaded app.
    I know what you mean, my dual core laptop is over 4 years old now and is running windows 7 and office and the rest all perfectly fine. But the when I bought it that spec cost me over £2k, where as you could buy it now for under £500.

I am planning to upgrade though as for me having an extra couple of cores plus a wedge of extra ram and a third hard disk does make sense for running VM's and SQL Server processes.
    Lots of developers are going for VM's these days. It makes for a much better development experience and seperates "normal" computing from tasks which have the possibility of buggering up your system or need a different OS to run

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I can't help feeling all this multi-core stuff is a bit of a scam. It's really not that beneficial for the typical task that the typical user does, yet many people are still on the old upgrade every couple of years treadmill convinced that multiple cores represents a significant upgrade. Especially when you consider the ability of modern processors to overclock a single core and boost performance of a single-threaded app.
    The jump from single to dual core was a huge leap, it made such a difference when you have things like lots of services, virus scanning etc in the background. I do think the need to upgrade has fallen by the wayside though, I have a similar spec laptop to chef's, it has a slightly slower CPU, but apart from some really heavy VMs that use > 6GB RAM and really benefit from 4 vCPUs I never really see it struggle.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Also a good choice ticks all the boxes with a very good speed and just 2.6kg but no blu-ray
    The Lenovo ThinkPad X range is good for lightness without compromising too much.

I've had an X300 for a few years and IIRC at the time it was marketed as outdoing the Macbook Air. Came standard with SSD. Also has a DVD writer, so newer ones should have a blu-ray option.

You no longer need to settle for a heavy bulky laptop unless it has to be super-beefy in processing, storage, or graphics, or all three.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    intial laptop circa £1300
    8Gb ram upgrade £280
    256SSD £350
    TOTAL £1930

I agree a current top spec desktop replacement has everything but I very much want to reduce weight mainly but not compromise on spec and if I'm going to spend £2k and have the thing for 3 years then I would expect it to have blu-ray.
    Yeah so would I but it just doesn't seem to be turning up on many laptops at the moment. Perhaps it just wasn't selling.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Also a good choice ticks all the boxes with a very good speed and just 2.6kg but no blu-ray
    Yes that's odd, it was an option on the older ones (T500, T510 etc). I wouldn't be surprised if those ones will fit although IIRC there are two sizes of bay across the range.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Processor Speeds are reaching a limit, it's all about multiple cores and lots of fast access memory now. I'll see if i can dig out the graph

This also means that crap programming can no longer be fixed by throwing more hardware at it. Chances are, it will still run like a dog!

The aforementioned Lenovo looks quite good. I hate the way so many laptops are going for 16:9 shiny screens (16:10 is better), and even worse are suddenly all adding number pads. I'd love to know who all the people are that want these. I'd like to upgrade my three-year old Dell Latitude, but despite all the newer laptops being thinner, lighter, more powerful etc., they don't seem to have as good a screen or keyboard as what I already have.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    It also looks like an Aldi Special Purchase
    true, don't expect it will be quiet either

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    How much did you spend though? Include the cost of the SSD and extra RAM you added after you bought it.

A current top spec desktop replacement has a quad core CPU with hyperthreading, 16-32GB maximum RAM, 2GB graphics memory, full HD screen and probably longer battery life. You can fit a 600GB SSD if you want as well, though you'll have to buy that yourself I think.
    intial laptop circa £1300
    8Gb ram upgrade £280
    256SSD £350
    TOTAL £1930

I agree a current top spec desktop replacement has everything but I very much want to reduce weight mainly but not compromise on spec and if I'm going to spend £2k and have the thing for 3 years then I would expect it to have blu-ray.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I like the look of the Lenovo T520 and fitting my own SSD.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    EDIT: and given the graphics, audio and 2 hard disks, i don't expect the battery life to be so good
    It also looks like an Aldi Special Purchase

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I assumed that given my spec right now of:

256Gb SSD
    8Gb RAM
    15.6" Screen
    4kg weight
    DVD Writer
    Webcam
    3.06Ghz CPU
    HDMI out via Display Port

that nearly 3 years later there should be something out there that would improve my current workhorse noticeably. It seems that I can shave 1kg off the weight or lose screen size and gain a blu-ray but speed hasn't changed so much and both options come at the cost of 1.5k+
    How much did you spend though? Include the cost of the SSD and extra RAM you added after you bought it.

A current top spec desktop replacement has a quad core CPU with hyperthreading, 16-32GB maximum RAM, 2GB graphics memory, full HD screen and probably longer battery life. You can fit a 600GB SSD if you want as well, though you'll have to buy that yourself I think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X