• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New laptop, Dell XPS 15z?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the look of the Lenovo T520 and fitting my own SSD.

Worth bearing in mind that with the sandy bridge processors the headline speed is a bit deceptive because with the turbo boost the quad core ones have roughly the same maximum speeds with one or two cores active as the dual core ones do e.g.

i7-2620M (2.7GHz) will turbo a single core to 3.4GHz
    i7-2640M (2.8Ghz) will turbo a single core to 3.5GHz
    i7-2720QM (2.2GHz quad) will turbo a single core to 3.3GHz
    i7-2760QM (2.4GHz quad) will turbo a single core to 3.5GHz
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

the odd thing is, in my M4400 right now I have the Intel Core 2 Extreme (X9100) which has a standard clock rate of 3.06GHz, this was bought back in Jan 2009.

why is it that modern processors haven't managed to easily eclipse that speed? or am I missing something?

how do I compare speed between what i have now and the i5/i7's?
      Last edited by chef; 26 October 2011, 12:13.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        the odd thing is, in my M4400 right now I have the Intel Core 2 Extreme (X9100) which has a standard clock rate of 3.06GHz, this was bought back in Jan 2009.

why is it that modern processors haven't managed to easily eclipse that speed? or am I missing something?

how do I compare speed between what i have now and the i5/i7's?
        Processor Speeds are reaching a limit, it's all about multiple cores and lots of fast access memory now. I'll see if i can dig out the graph

This also means that crap programming can no longer be fixed by throwing more hardware at it. Chances are, it will still run like a dog!

Edit: Here's the graph:
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

I assumed that given my spec right now of:

256Gb SSD
          8Gb RAM
          15.6" Screen
          4kg weight
          DVD Writer
          Webcam
          3.06Ghz CPU
          HDMI out via Display Port

that nearly 3 years later there should be something out there that would improve my current workhorse noticeably. It seems that I can shave 1kg off the weight or lose screen size and gain a blu-ray but speed hasn't changed so much and both options come at the cost of 1.5k+

Comment

Found it:

well again almost

Medion Erazer X6817

15.6" LED backlit screen
            Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor (sand bridge) = 3.3Ghz
            8Gb Ram
            Blu Ray
            NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX560M DirectX® 11 graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5 RAM and digital HDMI audio/video output
            Webcam
            120Gb SSD + 750Gb HDD
            USB3
            HD Audio

the ONLY snag is it's 3.5kg in weight as it's a gaming laptop

but it is very impressive, if only I could shave off some weight off it

EDIT: and given the graphics, audio and 2 hard disks, i don't expect the battery life to be so good
            Last edited by chef; 26 October 2011, 12:33.

Comment

Check their outlet thing. that's where I got my laptop from and it was huge saving on the normal cost

quad core processor and 6gb Ram etc nvidia 550m graphics and the rest for 571 inc VAT
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Ultrabooks may be worth looking at.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I assumed that given my spec right now of:

256Gb SSD
                  8Gb RAM
                  15.6" Screen
                  4kg weight
                  DVD Writer
                  Webcam
                  3.06Ghz CPU
                  HDMI out via Display Port

that nearly 3 years later there should be something out there that would improve my current workhorse noticeably. It seems that I can shave 1kg off the weight or lose screen size and gain a blu-ray but speed hasn't changed so much and both options come at the cost of 1.5k+
                  How much did you spend though? Include the cost of the SSD and extra RAM you added after you bought it.

A current top spec desktop replacement has a quad core CPU with hyperthreading, 16-32GB maximum RAM, 2GB graphics memory, full HD screen and probably longer battery life. You can fit a 600GB SSD if you want as well, though you'll have to buy that yourself I think.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

EDIT: and given the graphics, audio and 2 hard disks, i don't expect the battery life to be so good
                    It also looks like an Aldi Special Purchase
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                      I like the look of the Lenovo T520 and fitting my own SSD.
                      Also a good choice ticks all the boxes with a very good speed and just 2.6kg but no blu-ray

Comment

Working...
                      X