• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Something's going on at St Pancras station"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Not for the whole of St Pancras. First time for a year that I've been around.
    Used to happen quite a lot when they were doing construction work and when prople were getting used to new barriers.

I blame the white company opening

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Welcome to London, this is a regular occurence. Bank and Waterloo stations often have this problem and earlier this year the tube often didn't stop at St P for the same problem.

Thankfully I don't have to deal with that any more
    Not for the whole of St Pancras. First time for a year that I've been around.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Maybe it's the whole of eastern Europe arriving on our doorstep?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    This was before he was "too" deaf. I was stood next to him at the bar, didn't realise who he was until I ordered a pint and he said "I recognise that accent!" I turned round looked at him and said something like "Bloody hell, Eric Sykes! Fancy a pint?" - He was born in my home town but we'd never met before. We had a couple of beers and chewed the fat, two "Northeners Abroad" as it were.

All in all a pleasant interlude while waiting for a train.
    Churchy is from Owdham! Eric was born near the Mucky Brows weren't he?

Eric Sykes is a God, I love his joke that goes;

We were so poor when I was a lad, I didn't have any clothes at all. When I was nine my dad bought me a cap so I could look out of the window......

I've got his biography, class.......

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    It's just been shut 'due to overcrowding'.

What a load of cack. I've practically lived there for the last year and it copes with anything.

Something's happened (or there's intell that something might happen), you mark my words...
    Welcome to London, this is a regular occurence. Bank and Waterloo stations often have this problem and earlier this year the tube often didn't stop at St P for the same problem.

Thankfully I don't have to deal with that any more

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Leeds station was closed for that reason a couple of months ago. A signal failure just before the evening rush hour meant that ALL trains were cancelled.
    Police ended up pulling the gates across the entrance
    Yorkshire seems to be a hateful place for trains.

I once visited a friend just south of sheffield on a train. On the way back, during the week, myself and other passengers waited from around midday till gone 4pm for a train to arrive, never did, no explanation why. We had to end up getting a train replacement bus back up to sheffield, to then be told they were having signalling problems and wait around a couple more hours just to get back over the pennines to manchester.

It made the west coast delays and bus replacement services look like a minor inconveinience/picnic.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by manclarky View Post
    Whatever it was, same thing happened at Holborn tube station last night - took 20 mins just to get to the barrier and Oyster in.

Joys of the Capital. Roll on the Olympics.

Leave a comment:

• manclarky
    replied
    It's just been shut 'due to overcrowding'
    Whatever it was, same thing happened at Holborn tube station last night - took 20 mins just to get to the barrier and Oyster in.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I'm going back to the BedPan days before the Brighton connection was re-opened. It had 7 platforms and was very dark.
    Indeed - one of the things that parochial denizens of the south and particularly our hideous capital always seemed to be inordinately interested in was which station I'd arrived into.

In those days few seemed to have heard of St Pancras and the few that did sneered. I put this down to the fact that trains didn't serve much of the awful commuter belt around London. I love the place now and what they have done with it and I tip my hat to Sir John for saving it.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    This was before he was "too" deaf. I was stood next to him at the bar, didn't realise who he was until I ordered a pint and he said "I recognise that accent!" I turned round looked at him and said something like "Bloody hell, Eric Sykes! Fancy a pint?" - He was born in my home town but we'd never met before. We had a couple of beers and chewed the fat, two "Northeners Abroad" as it were.

I had a similar thing happen to me, but with Norman Tebbit.

Just checked, and Eric Sykes is still alive. Age 88.
    I thought he would have been dead years ago..

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Fab. What were you doing there with him?

I'm going back to the BedPan days before the Brighton connection was re-opened. It had 7 platforms and was very dark.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    It's just been shut 'due to overcrowding'.

What a load of cack. I've practically lived there for the last year and it copes with anything.

Something's happened (or there's intell that something might happen), you mark my words...
    Only time I've seen any problems was when Gatwick & Heathrow were closed due to snow and everyone diverted to StP to try and get on a Eurostar meaning queues around the block!

Even then the station was open and domestic services ran

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I had a couple of beers with Eric Sykes in the bar there about 20 years ago. I bought the first, he bought the second.
    Fab. What were you doing there with him?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I get nostalgic about St Pancras station. It reminds me of Saturdays on my way to football as a lad.
    I had a couple of beers with Eric Sykes in the bar there about 20 years ago. I bought the first, he bought the second.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I get nostalgic about St Pancras station. It reminds me of Saturdays on my way to football as a lad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X