• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh dear: Belgium is on the march again..."

Collapse

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood
    They were objecting to a 16 year old being killed for his MP3 player at 4 o'clock in the afternoon at Centraal Station
    Well, I figured that bit out.

I think you missed my original point Fleety, the comparison between an 80,000 march in Belgium when the above happens and yet when someone gets knifed on a bus in London for asking a guy to stop throwing his chips around the place, the most you'll see is a few bouquets and messages of condolence.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    b) Arguably, but you're missing the point.
    OK, was it the RIAA wot did it 'cause of the pirated music and everyone wants the right to fair use?

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    a) people's
    b) Arguably, but you're missing the point.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    They were objecting to a 16 year old being killed for his MP3 player at 4 o'clock in the afternoon at Centraal Station
    Well, I can see how that would really foul up an awful lot of peoples rush hour. Would 6 have been better?

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black
    My original question though, is why the 80,000 people march in Belgium?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I have rarely had the slightest problem in so called dangerous areas either. I think looking like you have nothing worth stealing helps.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    IMO I found the people in the centre to be friendly, I heard about someone I worked with got mugged in the grand place one morning about 4AM but that's it.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Perhaps, then again being from Hamilton I had to be street wise to survive, perhaps I tend to frighten the muggers away ...

Six foot two
    Eyes of blue
    AJ Pruffocks after you ...
    Hamilton Pansy!

I've worked in Bellshill...

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Interesting point AJP. I can say the same about London, and I've been in Camden, Holloway, Brixton, Tower Hamlets alone late at night. I have this theory that those who are afraid give off subtle signals that indicate they are potential victims.
    Obviously cool and sophisticated urbanites like us are immune
    Likewise, in all my years in London can't say I had a problem walking/staggering home at any time of morning/night, or doing just about anything else. While here I've had a few instances where I would say the word 'concerned' springs to mind, e.g. having to leave a club because a guy started flashing his knife to a mate of mine in the "there ain't room here for both of us" genre.

Then again the english guy mentioned above keeps telling me how much safer it is here compared to London...???

My original question though, is why the 80,000 people march in Belgium?
    Last edited by Joe Black; 24 April 2006, 16:49.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Perhaps, then again being from Hamilton I had to be street wise to survive, perhaps I tend to frighten the muggers away ...
    What, even in Arheilgen?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Interesting point AJP. I can say the same about London, and I've been in Camden, Holloway, Brixton, Tower Hamlets alone late at night. I have this theory that those who are afraid give off subtle signals that indicate they are potential victims.

Six foot two
    Eyes of blue
    AJ Pruffocks after you ...
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 24 April 2006, 13:56.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Having lived in Brussels for over a year and walked in all areas of the city at all hours I have encountered no trouble whatsoever.

One night somebody wanted to buy my precious Hat and offered myself 45 Euros , I turned his offer down and gave him a ciggie , he laughed and walked away.

Compared to UK cities you are very safe in Brussels.

Hate nothing except Hatred

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Never lived in a safer feeling city...

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    My flat that got turned over was just off Ambiorix and if you are going "into town" its a bit difficult to avoid the mugging areas, O'reilys and the Corbeau being on the route.
    Lived here for 15 months and I really think this is the safest I have ever felt in any city. Midi, Nord and most of downtown 1000 has a generally sleazy, reeking of pish type of vibe but I wouldn't say it worse than kings x or west end of london on a sat night.

I agree with Fleetwood re.the surrounding communes. Definitely better places to live and hang out in general.

The only place I ever got burgled was in a good area of Bermuda a few years back after living in London and Glasgow for years - karma, bad-luck or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Having lived in Brussels for over a year and walked in all areas of the city at all hours I have encountered no trouble whatsoever.

One night somebody wanted to buy my precious Hat and offered myself 45 Euros , I turned his offer down and gave him a ciggie , he laughed and walked away.

Compared to UK cities you are very safe in Brussels.

Hate nothing except Hatred

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    "Into town" pour moi is Avenue Louise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X