• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: RIP Dennis Ritchie

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "RIP Dennis Ritchie"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

int main()
    {
        printf("Goodbye World\n");
        return 0;
    }
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I still program whole enterprise systems in hex machine code on my unix command line.

In fact I use CUK by editing the raw data stream in vi.

All that new fangled fluffy windows OO visual rubbish is for poofs.
    I don't even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, red-head.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I still program whole enterprise systems in hex machine code on my unix command line.

In fact I use CUK by editing the raw data stream in vi.

All that new fangled fluffy windows OO visual rubbish is for poofs.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    That book was all I had on my first programming job. No internet access. Dumb terminal hacking C in vi for a year. Did my eyes right in that did. Had to wear glasses after that.
    WHS

Microsoft Xenix on a Z8000 then SCO Xenix on an 8088 followed by System V/386!

Those were the days!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    That book was all I had on my first programming job. No internet access. Dumb terminal hacking C in vi for a year. Did my eyes right in that did. Had to wear glasses after that.
    I was lucky enough to have a HP X terminal with CDE. I still use vi nearly every day, even on windows.

Leave a comment:

• sbakoola
    replied
    I will give a 'Benny Hill' salute when Bjarne Stroustrup dies. 'Creator' of C++.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Probably the best programming text ever written, in any language, for any language.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Still got my trusty copy of Kernighan and Ritchie.
    Probably the best programming text ever written, in any language, for any language.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Still got my trusty copy of Kernighan and Ritchie.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    What about argc, argv and envp?
    pedant!

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post

He made the front page of the bbc website. I wonder what proportion of people know what Unix is.
    I guess this is also the end of Plan 9?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    BBC News - Unix creator Dennis Ritchie dies aged 70

He made the front page of the bbc website. I wonder what proportion of people know who he is.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I initially thought it said Denise Richards, and wondered if she'd overdosed on Charlie.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

int main()
    {
        printf("RIP Dennis\n");
        return 0;
    }
    What about argc, argv and envp?