• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Proof we are in the matrix: Olber's Paradox"

Collapse

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Oh for pities sake. A nice drive around Tenerife and you've still not figured it out.

Myself included, we often assume the universe is static. If this were the case the universe would be flooded with light.

Space does not need to expand faster than light travels, it took nearly 200 years for humans to understand this.

Imagine travelling on the road a 100 miles to you destination. After the first mile travelled you've got 199 miles to go, 2 miles into the journey you find you've got 298 miles to go and so on.

This is what is happening to the photons that finally make it to us and why the visibility of the edge of space as we know it is limited.
    Common sense tells me this "flooded with light" business is bollocks. I see the light from distant stars as functioning similarly to light from a torch a mile away. I can see the torch shining from that distance (therefore the light has reached me BTW) but it is ineffective at illuminating the place I am standing as it is so dispersed.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Oh for pities sake. A nice drive around Tenerife and you've still not figured it out.

Myself included, we often assume the universe is static. If this were the case the universe would be flooded with light.

Space does not need to expand faster than light travels, it took nearly 200 years for humans to understand this.

Imagine travelling on the road a 100 miles to you destination. After the first mile travelled you've got 199 miles to go, 2 miles into the journey you find you've got 298 miles to go and so on.

This is what is happening to the photons that finally make it to us and why the visibility of the edge of space as we know it is limited.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    because light rays need to bounce off something to be visible

So it's possible that our sun is in fact the only star in the universe, and all the others are just reflective planets.

Hubble isn't seeing into the past from the point of the big bang but into the past from how far our sun's light has reached.

[Does that nobel prize come with plenty of wonga and scantilly clad babes gagging for man to explore where few have explored before? ]

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Indeed not. Time is an illusion and tea time is doubly so.
    Lunchtime Shirley?

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    during my key stage 3 science lesson i also asked my teacher at the time, if sun illuminates the earth why is space dark? simple answer came back, because light rays need to bounce off something to be visible

maybe i've misunderstood the question but isn't that still the case?

(unless my science teacher lied to me, he is in prison now having been convicted of sex with a minor)
    He probably lied to him/her

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    during my key stage 3 science lesson i also asked my teacher at the time, if sun illuminates the earth why is space dark? simple answer came back, because light rays need to bounce off something to be visible

maybe i've misunderstood the question but isn't that still the case?

(unless my science teacher lied to me, he is in prison now having been convicted of sex with a minor)

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    Then the light would reach us! (eventually)
    Aye AB

In fact you are correct in a way - your earlier point regarding the Universe expanding faster thatn the speed of light is true - if Big Bang theory is correct - that in the milliseconds followng the First Light - the Universe did expand faster than the speed of light - some Cosmologsts atribute this to that during the those frst milli-seconds the nomal Laws did not apply.

And of course if the data from Planck confirms that the MulitVerse theory is correct than Big Bng theory in turn is obsolete - well -we should all sit down and have a good cup ot tea.

So it goes.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    The Time that can be deescribed is not the True Time - nor even Tea Time.
    There is no 'true' time, everyone's clock ticks at a different pace.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Time is what it's defined to be.
    The Time that can be deescribed is not the True Time - nor even Tea Time.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    No.
    Then the light would reach us! (eventually)

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    That would mean the Universe is expanding faster than the speed of light!
    No.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Simply put the accelerating expansion of the universe prevents distant light from ever reaching us.
    That would mean the Universe is expanding faster than the speed of light!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    While musing the +/- of solar panels I began to wonder why the universe appears dark if there are so many stars in it. :roll eyes:
    Look I'm on holiday,

It's taken humans nearly 200 years to answer the question, why is the sky dark? And it's not until very recently (the last 20 years or so) we've understood why.

Simply put the accelerating expansion of the universe prevents distant light from ever reaching us.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It is. It's called background radiation, at about 3K.

At my local GP's practice, I always have a choice of two. And I never know which to see. It's a real pair o' docs.
    I believe this is your coat?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    He didn't know about the big bang but was right in that there are stars whose light will never reach us.

But in an inflationary universe, light is also red shifted, in effect the sky could be filled with stars whose light is dimmed.
    It is. It's called background radiation, at about 3K.

At my local GP's practice, I always have a choice of two. And I never know which to see. It's a real pair o' docs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X