• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "TVR laying off half of it's staff"

Collapse

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I prefer the Grinall Scorpion as a three wheeler

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Speaking of niche motor companies......

Could you afford one of these, Threaded?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Ah yes the Morgan, beautiful cars, designed and built by people with a clue, and an outstanding example of how to run a niche motor company to boot.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    They're making the same mistake that nearly all three wheeler designers make: they have the one wheel at the front.

If you put two wheels at the front the vehicle becomes much more stable and you don't need any of that automatic leaning crap. Also they become safer as the widest bit is where the driver tends to be looking.

Jeez, you can get money for any old crap research in the UK now. Although I am beginning to believe these car firms do this to take the p1ss and tie up researchers from more sensible lines of enquiry.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    An expert in auto industry said that in sports-car production labour costs account for 15% - they have far bigger problem than labour costs, IMO they have no chance with the current model line up, even at good time they were said to be doing 12 cars per week, that's less than 1000 cars per year, less than Aston Martin!
    I think the model lineup is fine and not the problem - they're stunning performers and lookers - it's the brand image and management of the company that appears to be the issue.

The problems with their customer service, the initial Speed 6 engine problems were a PR disaster for the company which was not handled well and the reliability issues were later addressed, but not properly advertised as their uber-strategy. TVR's decision to create it's own inhouse engine was a good one strategically but an utter disaster in practice causing even the most loyal members to insist on bring back the more reliable, better sounding but slightly less powered V8 blocks.

Declining sales and a workforce proportionally greater than most handbuilts must be down to poor management. Even the way the press has been handled: it looks like TVR are looking for an appropriate property in a trading estate to move into rather than a strategic move abroad.

TVR had an unusual marketing niche: ferocious brand loyality by owners, a terrific looking car with fantastic sound and power, real soul at an affordable price. Such was the brand loyalty that owners were happy to put up with the occaisional foibles, knowing they had an awsome car for the price.

The cars are head turners, quirky, stylish. Whenever I've parked next to a Porsche, much to the chagrin of the Porsche owner, the public always surrounded the TVR. And still do.

Much was promised with this new management: reliability, new models, improved build quality, longer waranties and a new racing identity. However, prices were raised significantly in models such as the Sagaris and the Tuscan 2 and the cars started to enter the realm of Porsche pricing: and people expected the same reliability and safety features.

TVR have also not keep an eye on a changing demographic nor looked into other markets. In todays "softer" society, new customers are not so readily convinced that they do not need ABS and airbags and are looking at other manufacturers that do offer these as standard. Personally I hope they don't soften the model overwise it will become as bland as Porsche - and TVR do not fit that part of the market. TVRs have soul.

I feel it will require incredibly strong leadership to get TVR back on track: marketing, image and reliability will be paramount.

TVR have always developed the most stylish, exciting cars compared with Marcos, Lotus and Noble - I have driven all of these - it would be a shame to lose this.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    The gearbox alone costs £1.5 mil each.
    Are you sure of that figure? Sounds awefully too high even for Bugatti.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Bitbucket

Cant understand why the C5 became extinct , did anyone buy anything from this guy?
    Funny you should mention the C5, because that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4930794.stm

"At a production cost of around £5 million per car. The gearbox alone costs £1.5 mil each. It's a loss leader for VW to generate interest in the rest of the Bugatti range." , what is it made of, solid gold?

Speaking about fuel prices, anyone care to give a quick update on prices in the UK at the moment. Saw talk of £1 per litre in the paper the other day, which didn't seem that high with all GB's taxes, considering I've been seeing circa €1.40+ quite a lot here recently.

http://www.brandstofprijzen.be/

Leave a comment:

• Gold Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Do you want to buy one of my boats? I'll show you how to throw money away! The most economical one we own consumes (devours, surely) 17 gallons of petrol(not diesel) an hour as she travels a mere 55 miles. So, if you ever need a lesson in spending money, give myself or Mrs Churchill a call.

Anyway, if I ever win the lottery I shall treat the money as expendible and the Veyron will be mine!!!!!

How is it that marine diesel (and i assume petrol) are rebated? I'm suprised Gordon hasn't shone his spotlight on this little perk

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Bugatti Veyron 16.4 - Maximum production run of 300 produced at the rate of 70 per annum.
    At a production cost of around £5 million per car. The gearbox alone costs £1.5 mil each. It's a loss leader for VW to generate interest in the rest of the Bugatti range.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Bugatti Veyron 16.4 - Maximum production run of 300 produced at the rate of 70 per annum.
    Note word maximum - this is indication of the fact that Bugatti got not long to live, in any case its very bad example since its a complete loss leader for a huge company.

Leave a comment:

• Bitbucket
    replied
    So what was wrong with these

Cant understand why the C5 became extinct , did anyone buy anything from this guy?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    An expert in auto industry said that in sports-car production labour costs account for 15% - they have far bigger problem than labour costs, IMO they have no chance with the current model line up, even at good time they were said to be doing 12 cars per week, that's less than 1000 cars per year, less than Aston Martin!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    I reckon they'll keep a skeleton presence in Blighty with main manufacturing out in Eastern Europe.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Factory is still open but they will be relocating ~ 6 months time. TVR is not finished yet!

I reckon they'll keep a skeleton presence in Blighty with main manufacturing out in Eastern Europe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X