• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Working for free

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working for free"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    The lads got 6 kids to feed.
    And another on the way.

Surely he's over the threshold where you're better off staying at home claiming all the benefits than going to work.

Seem to see articles posted on here fairly regularly showing people that have done that (pumped out loads of kids while sponging off the state), so maybe that's his plan B.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Where's the warchest Suity?

Surely you had at least 6m's to a year's money in there.
    The lads got 6 kids to feed. Plus he keeps investing his money in a cash cow (PC repair for £15)

Maybe he was getting a little twitchy and just wanted the reassuring feeling of cash hitting the bank account

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Where's the warchest Suity?

Surely you had at least 6m's to a year's money in there.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I'd deffo be escalating this by now. Small claims thing if needs be.

In fact, small claims against agency can be quite fun. I had a one day contract years ago. It was to do some unix work on the clients customers system. Turned up and guy was off sick. Then parts they wanted fitting were locked in cupboard with no key. Then no-one knew what was needed. Shambles. Did my best in the end but not really all done.

Agency refused to cough up because client said work hadnt been done. Not my problem said I, see you in court.

So I did and they ignored it. Court date was set in local court - no hassle for me. Agency phoned me and tried to be nice - no good. Day before agency phoned me and offered 1/2. Bollox to that. Full plus court fees please. Then they tried threatening me with charging me costs if they won (they cant do that in the small claim court but they tried to blag it!). In the end, I showed up and they didnt but had faxed the court saying they'd pay in full. Judge was cool - told me to escalate if they didnt pay and he'd happily grant an order to freeze their accounts / send in bailiffs etc.

They did pay though and spoil my fun. Would have been a cracking laugh to get bailiffs in.
    POTD

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I'd deffo be escalating this by now. Small claims thing if needs be.

In fact, small claims against agency can be quite fun. I had a one day contract years ago. It was to do some unix work on the clients customers system. Turned up and guy was off sick. Then parts they wanted fitting were locked in cupboard with no key. Then no-one knew what was needed. Shambles. Did my best in the end but not really all done.

Agency refused to cough up because client said work hadnt been done. Not my problem said I, see you in court.

So I did and they ignored it. Court date was set in local court - no hassle for me. Agency phoned me and tried to be nice - no good. Day before agency phoned me and offered 1/2. Bollox to that. Full plus court fees please. Then they tried threatening me with charging me costs if they won (they cant do that in the small claim court but they tried to blag it!). In the end, I showed up and they didnt but had faxed the court saying they'd pay in full. Judge was cool - told me to escalate if they didnt pay and he'd happily grant an order to freeze their accounts / send in bailiffs etc.

They did pay though and spoil my fun. Would have been a cracking laugh to get bailiffs in.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    You might not be out of the woods. You might just be the loudest in a chain of creditors, for the moment.

Do you know anyone else working through the same agency or consultancy? Have you asked them if they are having problems getting paid? Have you checked the credit status of the agency, consultancy, and client?

As for the old "You're not registered properly in our computer system" excuse...
    Feelers already out. It's a pretty niche area I work in so potentially have another gig lined up after making a few calls.

The agency were making out this afternoon as if there was no problem at all, and it's one big misunderstanding. Funny how the woodlice squirm when you lift the stone and shine a light on them.

I consider DodgyAgent and most other agents to be at the other end of the spectrum to be honest and these mob to be the exception rather than the rule.

I kicked hard at them, got nowhere, so kicked hard at the client and got results. Mean time shielding SY02 from most of this crap as she is 6 months pregnant.

The stress has been imeasurable. Can't wait to getting back to moaning about minutiae in true bedwetter fashion. All this "manning up" is hard work.

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Anywho, after much badgering the consultancy applied pressure and now my company is getting paid this week.
    You might not be out of the woods. You might just be the loudest in a chain of creditors, for the moment.

Do you know anyone else working through the same agency or consultancy? Have you asked them if they are having problems getting paid? Have you checked the credit status of the agency, consultancy, and client?

As for the old "You're not registered properly in our computer system" excuse...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well better late than never suity. Now get the round in now you are flush!
    He can't. He's still banned from his local.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    The contract states they will pay within 15 working days of receipt of a valid signed timesheet and VAT invoice.

I have in writing from them in an email that they won't get paid until they get paid. This for me is breach of contract.

Anywho, after much badgering the consultancy applied pressure and now my company is getting paid this week.

Something which could have been sorted out last week so I could have had some semblance of a weekend
    Well better late than never suity. Now get the round in now you are flush!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    The contract states they will pay within 15 working days of receipt of a valid signed timesheet and VAT invoice.

I have in writing from them in an email that they won't get paid until they get paid. This for me is breach of contract.

Something which could have been sorted out last week so I could have had some semblance of a weekend

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So stop turning up on site - apart from anything else you won't be spending the cash on tickets.
    But if he doesn't go that might trigger them not to pay him.

Oh. The uncertaintity of it all.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Escalated to the consultancy now. Supportive comments were made but I see little action.

Running out of shekels fast. Train tickets to work now seem like a luxury.
    So stop turning up on site - apart from anything else you won't be spending the cash on tickets.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Because he's on here telling us he's sorting it. Shirley?
    Don't call me "Shirley". In fact don't call me at all, you're embarrassing yourself and I'd hate to get you a restraining order!

Back to the OP.

These idiots are ******* about with your livelyhood. Ring them and sort them out. Failing that, get your wife to do it, she's got **** all else to do and making the calls would be easier for her from home.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Why haven't you sorted this?
    Because he's on here telling us he's sorting it. Shirley?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Escalated to the consultancy now. Supportive comments were made but I see little action.

Running out of shekels fast. Train tickets to work now seem like a luxury.
    Why haven't you sorted this?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X