• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Contract or perm

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract or perm"

Collapse

• janey
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Crosby
    I'll toss you for him.
    you're not going to.... nah not going there, will get told off again

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Originally posted by janey
    does it for me
    I'll toss you for him.

Leave a comment:

• janey
    replied
    does it for me

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    He's gorgeous.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Go perm

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Executioners

(Baghdad Yellow Pages is awash with them)

Leave a comment:

• Captain Jack
    replied
    Isn't erudite a type of glue?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Exogamous?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Jack
    replied
    Exoskeletons?

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    exorcists

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Originally posted by eternalnomad
    Can anyone suggest and sensible reason(s) why I may want to take the permie option because I really am struggling to justify moving to the dark side.
    Exocists are listed in the Yellow Pages.

Leave a comment:

• partimer
    replied
    certification

In addition to what has already been said.

One thing I would seriously consider, are you able to get any training/certification as a permie? Any certification normal costs several thousand pounds and you can't charge whilst sitting exams when you are a contractor. Go permie and get all your certification, etc.

When/if you leave they can't take away what you've learnt.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Fungus
    The following questions might make the choice easier:

How secure is the company? Some companies are no more secure than a contract.

How long do you tend to stay on a given contract?

Do you prefer regular change with associated challenges? A permie can get pigeon holed.

Does the permie job offer a chance to learn new skills? It might offer you the opportunity to broaden your skills, making you more employable.

How far do you tend to travel to the contract, and is the permie job nearer?

How long do you spend between contracts?

How much do you value making friends in a company?

I don't think there's any obvious answer as to which is best. I would be tempted to go contract with the option to go permie on the understanding that the permie role would be long term. That way I would see what the place was like.
    Also are you expected/likely to do much overtime? As a salaried permie you probably wouldn't be paid any extra for this.

Ditto travel time if you'll be spending a lot of time at client sites.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    The following questions might make the choice easier:

How secure is the company? Some companies are no more secure than a contract.

How long do you tend to stay on a given contract?

Do you prefer regular change with associated challenges? A permie can get pigeon holed.

Does the permie job offer a chance to learn new skills? It might offer you the opportunity to broaden your skills, making you more employable.

How far do you tend to travel to the contract, and is the permie job nearer?

How long do you spend between contracts?

How much do you value making friends in a company?

I don't think there's any obvious answer as to which is best. I would be tempted to go contract with the option to go permie on the understanding that the permie role would be long term. That way I would see what the place was like.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Why IR35 caught?

If you have an onside client, able tro write your own contract etc why are you caught?

If the bonus is available to permie why not a similar delivery bonus in the contract.

Do the math and decide, but IR35 shouldn't be a problem if you deal with it right.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X