• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK has 'worst quality of life in Europe'"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    ClientCo want me to move to Florida for the winter (they're paying). I have to say I'm tempted given the forecast for snow next month and another severe winter, maybe I'll even be happier there if that's possible.

Never been to Florida, any downside?
    You is going to be one big fatty-fat-fat-teletubby when you comes home, oh yessirreee!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    ClientCo want me to move to Florida for the winter (they're paying). I have to say I'm tempted given the forecast for snow next month and another severe winter, maybe I'll even be happier there if that's possible.

Florida varies from retirement communities to vibrant cuban nightlife in Miami (which incidentally is one of the handsomest cities I've seen) to the Keys in the south.
    Depends where you are, but you should have fun. Americans are far cooler than Germans.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Too many old people.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The Europeans certainly know how to have a good time:

Dinner for One - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's the most frequently repeated TV programme ever.

I just tried watching it once and failed

The butler is actually an English guy.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    A bit more on that:

It is a curiosity that this sketch has become a tradition in Germany, where up to half the population may see it every year, but it is almost totally unknown in Britain.
    German narrator Heinz Piper originally made a grammatical mistake in his introduction to the 18 minute version: He misquoted Warden’s line “Same procedure as every year” as “Same procedure than every year”. While the mistake appears to have gone unnoticed initially, it later prompted annual protest letters to the NDR, most notably from German teachers of English. The NDR eventually responded by editing the recording slightly, substituting a small bit of its audio track with audio recorded during one of the rehearsals. Thus, in 1988, the error had been edited out and Piper could be heard to say “Same procedure as every year”. This in turn annoyed some purists who would rather respect the original.
    Now that is funny.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The Europeans certainly know how to have a good time:

Dinner for One - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's the most frequently repeated TV programme ever.

on New Year's Eve 2003 alone, the sketch was broadcast 19 times
    I just tried watching it once and failed

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Does not surprise me. Overpriced hotels for awful quality.

Instead I'm sat here with a €3 euro bottle of nero munching my €6 freshly made italian pizza on the balcony.
    Will you be going out with your mates later?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Does not surprise me. Overpriced hotels for awful quality.

Instead I'm sat here with a €3 euro bottle of nero munching my €6 freshly made italian pizza on the balcony.

Oktoberfest is fair hootching tonight.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I really quite like Germany and the Germans
    Do you think they like you also? Be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Le Rosbif
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    How would you eat it with a ****ing helmet and oxygen mask on your face?
    Dunno - ask a surviving Italian soldier from WW1

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    If ever there was a CUK version of "yeah, but, no, but, yeah, well anyways..." then you've just posted SAS.

-I have no wish to even work out if you have more wealth than me, money is not the be all and end all in my life
    -I am not an exile, I chose to live abroad for the main 3 reasons that I thought Britain was going to the wall, the woman I plan to marry has a job that makes sense for her not to move and my own work is usually away from home but living in the what is effectively the center of Europe helps greatly to reduce that time
    -Germans are not boring, you should shrug off those eurosceptic views of yours and maybe go visit your mate again in, wait where was it? ahh yes NRW, Germany.. what a bore he must have been

and I wouldn't say you are fickle SAS but

and 1 final quote just to prove my point, when asked where is the best place to emigrate to by Tarquin you replied

I'm off for some food and a beer.

All that reasearch for me. Awww shucks

I really quite like Germany and the Germans, not enough to live there though as I'm happy where I am, especially when their already high taxes go up to pay for the PIIGS

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Le Rosbif View Post
    With a knife and fork

With chopsticks

With bare hands

How would you eat it with a ****ing helmet and oxygen mask on your face?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied

I am considerably richer than yau and I don't have to be an exile and I don't have to live with the boring Germans and I bet I have more mates than you do in Germany.

HTH
    If ever there was a CUK version of "yeah, but, no, but, yeah, well anyways..." then you've just posted SAS.

-I have no wish to even work out if you have more wealth than me, money is not the be all and end all in my life
    -I am not an exile, I chose to live abroad for the main 3 reasons that I thought Britain was going to the wall, the woman I plan to marry has a job that makes sense for her not to move and my own work is usually away from home but living in the what is effectively the center of Europe helps greatly to reduce that time
    -Germans are not boring, you should shrug off those eurosceptic views of yours and maybe go visit your mate again in, wait where was it? ahh yes NRW, Germany.. what a bore he must have been
    Just back from a week in North Rhine Whestphalia... with my old friend X von Y who's in the German diplomatic service. While there we drank several bottles of good Reisling and Mosel from his cellar and generally mused on the state of the world. Topics incuded (each of which would be worth a separate thread):

1. How Turkey is slowly becoming Islamist.
    2. How Germany is slowing incubating its own tinderbox like the UK
    3. How the German elite are turining against the Euro.
    4. How the supply shock of cheap professional labour from countries like India will in short order lead to a much bigger positive demand shock as the newly rich middle classes will want Western goods and this is what Germany's mittelstand is focusing on.

And so on ...
    You need to extract your head from your arse.
    I live in London. Why would I look for nightlife in Germany FFS?
    No, Germany is good for other things: the Rhine Gorge is amazing, German wines (and of course beer) are very good if you know your stuff and similarly some (but not all) German food.
    But to be honest, not much in the way of culture or interesting monuments - so that makes a relaxing few days abroad since you don't have the pressure to go and sight-see.
    and I wouldn't say you are fickle SAS but
    Nothing to be confused about. Germans have their priorities right - no property booms, no big celeb culture, a solid economy with an excellent standard of living.
    There are flaws as everywhere but IMHO much less than here. Germany is still first rate in its infrastructure and healthcare, while Britain feels increasingly second rate.

Learning German fluently is almost impossible when an adult though.
    and 1 final quote just to prove my point, when asked where is the best place to emigrate to by Tarquin you replied
    In your position Germany would be my choice.
    Only bummer is that you will probably have to learn German, which I know from personal experience, is nigh on impossible to become fluent in after a certain age.
    I'm off for some food and a beer.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Ah.

Point taken.

I thought Menelaus had been banished from this land...
    Can't really include him in the quality of life index as he had (or has) more than one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X