• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: what to do

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "what to do"

Collapse

• Chaffinch
    replied
    I'd reach for the Prince II handbook and find the bit on Phase Start / End Design. Pretty sure there's lots you can be doing that's relevant, productive and billable

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Facilitate,Facilitate,Facilitate

you know it makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    client co have stated that the design doc is a milestone and therefore build phase cannot begin until this is signed off.
    Sounds pretty German.

Don't you need to hold walkthrough sessions of the documentation with the reviewers to ensure the review process is thorough and that everyone is fully bought in to the strategy and direction set out within, mitigating the risk that any assumptions are made by either side that later prove to be incorrect and cause avoidable additions to scope and timescales?

Or do all the reviewers just read the docs in isolation, not fully understand them, send you a few comments back on minor grammar/punctuation issues, then complain 3 months later that their sign-off "doesn't really count anymore" as they didn't really understand the docs in the first place?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I find looking busy usually helps.

And logging lessons learned

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    How about a proactive strike.
    spend the week liasing with infrastructure (or whomever) along the lines of 'If this goes ahead, will you be able to support x,y,z ? and what will you need from me

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    How is you German new?

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Better than your english, I hope.
    Besser, danke

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Tell them that since you're not needed onsite you will be writing documentation from your Villa and invoice as usual.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    How is you German new?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I'm on a daily rate and although I would love to take the holiday, I've just had 9 months self imposed "holiday" and only intend to work this project before taking a similar length holiday next year so I might aswell try and fit in 5 days of work if possible
    How is you German new?

Leave a comment:

• Normie
    replied
    Ok,

So, what creative realistic billable suggestions can the panel come up with to fill this possible 5 day non-billabe void within the timeplan?
    If relevant to the project:

Write a Test Plan, UAT, etc
    End User Documentation

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Have you spoken about it with them?
    Yes the PM, who is employed by the agency I via, highlighted this to me this morning stating

"We need to come up with some activities that you can perform – any suggestions?"

I assume he was talking about work, otherwise i might have to get out the performing monkey bag of tricks..

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    ahhh so that's why your invoicing always takes so long
    Yes, I like my grub.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I'm on a daily rate and although I would love to take the holiday, I've just had 9 months self imposed "holiday" and only intend to work this project before taking a similar length holiday next year so I might aswell try and fit in 5 days of work if possible
    Have you spoken about it with them?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Send them a bill composed of several hundreds of small individual items. See if you can slip some fanciful ones in there.

ahhh so that's why your invoicing always takes so long

Leave a comment:

Working...
X