• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Weak pound on the way"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    But if salaries stagnate, which they will, then how will house prices rise.
    Salaries can't stagnate forever when real inflation is well over 10%+ per annum.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    But if salaries stagnate, which they will, then how will house prices rise. The way I see it we're heading for a period of inflation of everything but houses
    In Japan it is typical for mortgages to be passed to the next generation. Our currency is weak, surely the only way is up. That'll take 10-15 years as it did Japan.

Hopefully by that time my BTL's shall be fully paid for my children/s use.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    But if salaries stagnate, which they will, then how will house prices rise. The way I see it we're heading for a period of inflation of everything but houses, as effectively the West becomes poorer, to make up for the fact that they lived beyond their means for a while, at the cost of the later generation. In a way it's sort of a global adjustment where India and the UK converge.
    In the future your energy, bill, car, stereo and computer will become hugely expensive, so Britain will be rather like an Emerging economy with not much technology and dirt cheap housing. Might be worth thinking about building an outside toilet in the backyard.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    There is even better deal there -0.5% (requires 110% deposit).
    Too early in the decade for me to compute that one.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Not sure that's so special. There's a 10 year fixed at 3.99% on moneysupermarket (requires minimum 30% deposit)
    There is even better deal there -0.5% (requires 110% deposit).

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Mortgage advisor offered special deal with 3.2% tracker

Not sure that's so special. There's a 10 year fixed at 3.99% on moneysupermarket (requires minimum 30% deposit).

So a tracker only makes sense if you think mortgage rates will drop further or not rise in the next 5 or more years. Especially when only saving a few quid a month. Unless you don't have the deposit.

3.99% fixed for 10 years looks a very good deal to hedge against pending chaos unless I'm missing something?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    And still be in negative equity
    That only matters when you come to sell, if you need to sell.

Same with gold, sterling, and any other asset. The winner is the one who sells for higher than they bought.

At the moment the only reason to delay buying a property (if you are looking to buy) is to see if prices drop significantly in coming months.

Could be a gamble though if inflation and QE cause house prices to rise against sterling. Banks don't need to pay savers proper interest while they're getting cheap loans from other sources, so those in sterling waiting for the price drops could lose out further.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I will have paid it off by then
    And still be in negative equity

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    WHS

I find that this whole property thing is gr8 - cheap rates and non-stop Sarah Beeny on TV.
    Norks!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'd be very surprised if interest rates are above zero in 24 years time, let alone 24 months.
    WHS

I find that this whole property thing is gr8 - cheap rates and non-stop Sarah Beeny on TV.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Forward 24 months. Interest rates at 9%. House prices halved, rental Market collapsed.

'oh why,why did I buy when everyone else sold and started renting'-AtW
    I'd be very surprised if interest rates are above zero in 24 years time, let alone 24 months.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Forward 24 months. Interest rates at 9%. House prices halved, rental Market collapsed.
    I will have paid it off by then

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Mortgage advisor offered special deal with 3.2% tracker

'oh why,why did I buy when everyone else sold and started renting'-AtW

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Fill yer boots, then load up 100 credit cards, get 50 pay day loans and laugh like a mad man.
    The party will never end!!!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Fill yer boots, then load up 100 credit cards, get 50 pay day loans and laugh like a mad man.
    Not like that for sas. He lives in a toaster don't you know?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X