• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A monument to optimism"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    She wan't allowed to fly supersonic over land. Most of her flights would have been over the sea i.e. the Atlantic from Paris / London to New York so no more than a couple of hundred miles over land
    Living by the Bristol channel I used to regularly hear the booms as she went by, maybe the pilot thought the Severn bridge was far enough down the estuary to be called 'sea'?

I saw the Filton one up close only a few months ago when working at Airbus, they were patching up holes in the wings that had been left to rot for the past few years.

My dad designed part of Concorde, I was born in Cirencester because my parents had moved there to be close to Fairford where the he worked.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    It still looks good as a design and made me ponder have we made anything comparable in this country since, or was that a marker of the end of world class design & build in this country.
    Airbus wings are still designed and built in the UK. Also quite a few satellites and racing cars and other odds and ends.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Where are they now?

7 in France and 7 in the UK, 3 in America (who first stabbed them to make sure they were properly dead ), 1 in Germany, 1 in Barbados.

Number flyable: 0

Locations of Concorde Planes

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    It was a shame Virgins Branson offer to take the fleet of working Concordes for £5 mill wasn't taken up.
    Much better to keep them going than turn them into museum pieces
    Concorde was handed over free to BA by HMG on behalf of the taxpayers. Had HMG leased it to BA for £1 per year they could have got it back and sold it to Virgin. BA scrapped it out of spite. HMG... we squander your money.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    It was a shame Virgins Branson offer to take the fleet of working Concordes for £5 mill wasn't taken up.
    Much better to keep them going than turn them into museum pieces

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    I was on one of those jollys - fantastic machine. Our seats were right at the back, so we got the full noise at take-off. Flying supersonically was slighly disappointing, as it doesnt feel any different freom egular subsonic travel.

Again, it was a freebie, so I have no idea how much it cost.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The Yanks were jealous.
    Yep. In spades.

It was also quite remarkable for the Anglo-French cooperation that went into it. Who'd a thunkit possible?

It became very popular in the early 90s for short trips as treats for relatives.

Several of my neighbours went on it, mostly as birthday or anniversary treats, and when they asked fellow passengers what it cost, none of them knew either, because they'd also got it as a present.

The trip consisted of a flight from, say, Leeds Bradford up to Scotland and out to sea for the supersonic bit, then land at Birmingham with a coach trip back for the passengers.

I always wanted to do the trip to New York and then back on an ocean liner, but sadly missed the chance.
    Last edited by Sysman; 22 September 2011, 14:08.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    She wan't allowed to fly supersonic over land. Most of her flights would have been over the sea i.e. the Atlantic from Paris / London to New York so no more than a couple of hundred miles over land
    Exactly. But when she was first built and went on a tour of the world collecting orders from governments and airline companies all around the globe they didn't know that it would be so audible at ground level and that people would complain. All the airlines which planned to use the aircraft on land routes then cancelled.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    I thought sales collapsed because of the complaints from the public regarding the sonic booms over land?

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    The Yanks were jealous.

As for the economics, Concorde's development was hampered after the sales collapsed (due partly to the oil crisis and partly to the US threats to not allow it to land). If it had actually been produced in larger numbers it could have had another 20 or 30 years of incremental devlopment (much like the 747), which would have led to vast improvements in efficiency.
    I thought sales collapsed because of the complaints from the public regarding the sonic booms over land?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Concorde's last resting place.

It should be flying.
    I passed that Concorde parked up at Filton last night on my way to the Mall.

It still looks good as a design and made me ponder have we made anything comparable in this country since, or was that a marker of the end of world class design & build in this country.

Also seeing that there are plans to turn the Filton airport into a housing estate... seems to be the way of the world & all very sad

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Just think what modern tech could do if it wasn't in the hands of idiots... several decades of materials, aero and engine development.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    <Conspiracy mode>But she killed a bunch of rich people, which will never do. Had it been a Easyjet caught fire, no one would have been bovvered>

But in reality I don't think the economics made much sense, in part I believe because of the wing design compromises needed to satisfy the yanks, which meant she guzzled fuel but could land less noisily on shorter runways. I don't think the yanks liked her full stop.
    The Yanks were jealous.

As for the economics, Concorde's development was hampered after the sales collapsed (due partly to the oil crisis and partly to the US threats to not allow it to land). If it had actually been produced in larger numbers it could have had another 20 or 30 years of incremental devlopment (much like the 747), which would have led to vast improvements in efficiency.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Yep. Test matches stopped as all the players looked up. What an amazing machine.
    <Conspiracy mode>But she killed a bunch of rich people, which will never do. Had it been a Easyjet caught fire, no one would have been bovvered>

But in reality I don't think the economics made much sense, in part I believe because of the wing design compromises needed to satisfy the yanks, which meant she guzzled fuel but could land less noisily on shorter runways. I don't think the yanks liked her full stop.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    No one used to complain when she flew over, rather the deep rumble of the engines just caused people to look up in awe.
    Yep. Test matches stopped as all the players looked up. What an amazing machine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X